Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
Good stuff thanks guys! :D Will keep an eye out for one on holiday and see how it goes

Hopefully find a bargain price especially with the new one soon out (out already?)

Caporegime
From what I understand Android Pay is only supported on Android Wear 2.0 (and obviously devices with NFC).

So the list seems to be:

LG Watch Sport - Not available in the UK yet
TAG Connected - £1,450
Huawei Watch 2 - £329 (Bluetooth version)
Does that now include the Huawei W1?

Soldato
W1 has no NFC chip so no. The Sony SW3 has NFC but it won't be getting AW 2.0. If it did then it would've been the cheapest option.

Honestly it just feels like manufacturers are kind of giving up on Wear and not putting much effort into it any more.

Soldato
Well I've went away from Android Wear and avoided Tizen (as tempted as I was by the Samsung Gear S3 Classic) and I've went for something more traditional from a watch sense in some ways.

I've just taken delivery of my Withings Steel HR and I have to say I'm mightily impressed already. It may be more activity tracker with notifications thrown in than full smartwatch but still.

I was wary about the 12.5mm depth of the watch but that seems to take into consideration the raised curved face of the watch itself so it suits my slimmer wrist well. It looks really nice in general and the LED notification screen is off the majority of the time and only ever activates should you press the button to do so or you get a notification and alert in. I've only had a quick play with it but I should be able to offer some proper opinions on it after a few days of use. I am looking forward to the 25 Days (with Heart Monitor) + an additional 20 Days (without it in Battery Saver mode) and not having to charge every day :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Had 2.0 on my W1 for the whole of today, not really digging it that much, it seems more 'needy'.
I like setting alarms using the voice when I'm cooking, and before it was possible to do without touching the watch, but now you seem to need to verify the alarm request with a tap.
Also, I don't like having to press the watch button to access my app menu, when I could just swipe before.
Anyone else find that the gesture controls are harder to use after updating?
Oh and my battery is on 61% when it's usually around 75% at this time.
Meh.

Associate
I'm seriously thinking of rolling back from Android Wear 2.0, OK google doesn't work and having to press a button to get the (ever so slow) Assistant to work is pathetic :(

Same here, it's strange making the change face to left/right it's not like it should be taking up such a useful gesture, I don't need to change mine that often, also miss the double tap the button to switch the display off.

Soldato
Got a W1 for a bit less than Amazon price... Loving it so far!

Installed 2.0 after one day, don't find it too bad but obviously have limited usage with 1.whatever to compare

Edit: anyone got a non official mesh strap they recommend? Think it looks classier than the leather but to be honest I do like the leather much more than I thought I would

Associate
...Anyone else with a Sony phone and a Gear S3?

Latest phone update from Sony seems to have borked my S3. It will not connect at all now even after resetting the watch.

Associate
...Anyone else with a Sony phone and a Gear S3?

Latest phone update from Sony seems to have borked my S3. It will not connect at all now even after resetting the watch.

I've got a Z5 and there are a lot of issues with the Android Nougat update. This affects quite a few phones, but Sony's seem particularly affected.

My smartwatch (a Sony Smartwatch 3) still works OK, but I can't connect to my car stereo via Bluetooth.

There's a firmware update been released (32.3.A.2.33) a couple of months ago but I'm still waiting for it to appear on my Z5 on the Vodafone network.

Back
Top Bottom