Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Permabanned
would it be a crap idea if a phone had the cpu, ram, data storage, connectivity modules on a watch, and the battery / display was on a connectible screen?

so when it was not connected, it would act as a watch, when it was hooked up to the extra device, it would be a full mobile platform?

I was just wondering as a way to reduce cost if you ever drop a phone these days it's pretty expensive!

Don
would it be a crap idea if a phone had the cpu, ram, data storage, connectivity modules on a watch, and the battery / display was on a connectible screen?

so when it was not connected, it would act as a watch, when it was hooked up to the extra device, it would be a full mobile platform?

I was just wondering as a way to reduce cost if you ever drop a phone these days it's pretty expensive!

My Gear S3 is basically a phone on your wrist already. In the USA, you can even buy them with SIM cards to make and receive phone calls independent of a handset. Other than battery life, it does everything you'd want from a smart phone (and arguably it lasts as long as a charge on a mobile phone already).

As long as it's connected to wifi, I can read and reply to SMS, WhatApp etc.

Permabanned
My Gear S3 is basically a phone on your wrist already. In the USA, you can even buy them with SIM cards to make and receive phone calls independent of a handset. Other than battery life, it does everything you'd want from a smart phone (and arguably it lasts as long as a charge on a mobile phone already).

As long as it's connected to wifi, I can read and reply to SMS, WhatApp etc.

Guess I'm getting an S3 then :p I wish they had more rectangular devices though, as much as I appreciate that watches historically have been round, we are passed that age now and something more rectangular along the wrist (for screen and battery space) would be better suited.

Permabanned
I actually prefer the round screen, it sits better on the wrist IMO - our wrists are round not square :D

they are cylindindrical, and thus (two dimensionally) square when looked head on :)

Circles don't really work for a digital watch, so much wasted real estate simply to keep with tradition.

I would say have a curved screen to match the wrist, but not sit on the top of the wrist as standard - further down and ultimately inline with the thumb, it would be a lot more comfortable than having to rotate your wrist and the face would still be rectangular

Last edited:
Soldato
I got it on my m600 a few days ago, but it seems to have broken the polar app. Can no longer transfer workouts from the watch to my phone and it doesnt seem to be able to use the heart rate sensor. When I try and measure it it says its measuring but never gets a reading and the green LEDs don't come on :(

Soldato
Just got the 2.0 update on my GWR. And after the update the watch was incredibly slow. Left it for a couple of hours and it was fine after that. Took a while to update all the apps as well. One problem I was having though was Assistant was very slow to load up on the long press, and even after enabling the setting "Ok Google" detection was not working from the watch face. Factory resetted the watch via the Wear app on the phone and it feels a lot smoother/faster to use now, and fixed the "Ok Google" detection, as well as the load times for assistant.

Little tip... Go to Settings -> System -> About and tap the build number 10 times to unlock the Developer Options, then go to Developer Options and change all the animations to 0.5x, it speeds up all the animations and feels like a new watch again ;).

Soldato
Thinking about replacing my Pebble (original). What is the best I could get for under £200?
I was thinking the same, my Moto 360 Version 1 is done in. Battery lasts from 1 hours to about 6 hours. Have taken to carrying my charger with me and usually when it starts up again the battery reads about 64%. Just seems like random switch offs.

So thinking a new watch is now needed. Sub £200, whats worth picking up now?

Back
Top Bottom