Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
Cheers.

How is the battery as I've read for some people it's been really bad.

Today's been the real test and I'm afraid it's not good - whereas before I'd get an easy two days out of the battery, it looks like I'm gonna struggle to get one after the update. I took it off it's dock at 7pm yesterday, its now 12.51 and I'm at 36%. If it doesn't last 24 hours, I'll be getting rid of it as it'll be near enough useless.

I do have always on display enabled, but when I went to bed last night, I turned the display off.

Edit: Just flicking through the settings on the watch, I've noticed that BT and WiFi are both on (but not connected) I wonder what effect it's having on the battery as before the update, the WiFi would be switched off.

Soldato
My LG G seems to using more battery since the update so I've done a full reset today, hopefully that'll help :)

Today's been the real test and I'm afraid it's not good - whereas before I'd get an easy two days out of the battery, it looks like I'm gonna struggle to get one after the update. I took it off it's dock at 7pm yesterday, its now 12.51 and I'm at 36%. If it doesn't last 24 hours, I'll be getting rid of it as it'll be near enough useless.

I do have always on display enabled, but when I went to bed last night, I turned the display off.

Edit: Just flicking through the settings on the watch, I've noticed that BT and WiFi are both on (but not connected) I wonder what effect it's having on the battery as before the update, the WiFi would be switched off.

Cheers to you both, looks like an update is need to fix the issues, might be worth holding off, or keeping on on 1.5 can they be rolled back if you do update ?

Soldato
As for the G Watch R batttery life seems to have dropped, before on 1.5 when I got home battery was usually around 75%, now on 2.0 it's around 60%. Ok Google detection on the watchface most of the time doesn't react, but when Assistant does eventually load it works fine. Checking around this is more common when waking up from sleep, possibly the watch still needing to move to a higher performance profile.

Soldato
As for the G Watch R batttery life seems to have dropped, before on 1.5 when I got home battery was usually around 75%, now on 2.0 it's around 60%. Ok Google detection on the watchface most of the time doesn't react, but when Assistant does eventually load it works fine. Checking around this is more common when waking up from sleep, possibly the watch still needing to move to a higher performance profile.

Reading around XDA it seems a common issue, some have said to make sure permissions for OK google are ticked as most have found it's not, the watch can be rolled back to 1.5 if needed https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=71823043&postcount=3 which is good, will keep looking to see if i can find a bargain.

Soldato
I made sure all the permissions are enabled as well as OK google detection on the watchface, which initially didn't work so I tried a factory reset. Now it does work but not all the time. Another fix seems to be flashing a custom kernel that enables all 4 cores which gives a big boost in performance and not much hit in battery life.

Soldato
So i ended up getting a G watch R from Ebay and it looks like it's new, not a single scratch on it, Updated to 2.0 last night, and it's been off charge since 7:30 and is still on 67% with always on screen mode on, pretty impressive i feel, my M360 would be around 30% now with screen off all day.

Ok google is a pain as others have said, doesnt react 90% of the time, and when it does the screen dim's and cancels it out.

Soldato
Android wear 2 is rolling out to the Huawei Watch now, just installed on mine.
Huawei W1? I'm interested in this watch and this was my only real concern in buying 'old' tech that it wouldn't get updates.

Don't like the new Watch 2's by Huawei... don't look as sleek.

If it is the W1 you have... would you recommend it?? Only main downside I see are 'average' battery life and lack of auto-screen brightness?

Soldato
What's the cheapest smart watch with NFC for Android pay?

From what I understand Android Pay is only supported on Android Wear 2.0 (and obviously devices with NFC).

So the list seems to be:

LG Watch Sport - Not available in the UK yet
TAG Connected - £1,450
Huawei Watch 2 - £329 (Bluetooth version)

Soldato
Android wear 2 is rolling out to the Huawei Watch now, just installed on mine.
Had to do the force update truck in mine.

One thing I'm not liking Is no "open on phone" option when you get say YouTube notifications. Also I think It's a big waste to have both swipe left and right change the watch face.

Associate
Huawei W1? I'm interested in this watch and this was my only real concern in buying 'old' tech that it wouldn't get updates.

Don't like the new Watch 2's by Huawei... don't look as sleek.

If it is the W1 you have... would you recommend it?? Only main downside I see are 'average' battery life and lack of auto-screen brightness?

Yes it's the W1 I have had it since November and really like it, looks great and the battery life seems fine, I charge it fully in the morning and still have around 30% left around 7PM and can charge fully withing an hour, never really timed it. Not sure about wear 2 as only just got it but 1.5 was great and the auto brightness can be an issue but wouldn't put me off buying one. Plus you can also make a phone call on it which is pretty cool. I got mine from the rainforest site for £170 and seen it that price a few times.

Soldato
Yes it's the W1 I have had it since November and really like it, looks great and the battery life seems fine, I charge it fully in the morning and still have around 30% left around 7PM and can charge fully withing an hour, never really timed it. Not sure about wear 2 as only just got it but 1.5 was great and the auto brightness can be an issue but wouldn't put me off buying one. Plus you can also make a phone call on it which is pretty cool. I got mine from the rainforest site for £170 and seen it that price a few times.
Awesome! Good to have a fairly recent review of it.

That battery level is fine.. As long as it lasts a day I'm not fussed. Which brightness level do you have it set to, out of interest?

I'm going on holiday to dubai soon so hopefully pick one up there a bit cheap... I can't see any issue buying it from abroad other than maybe requiring an adapter for the plug?

You say you can make phonecalls... I thought it didn't have a speaker?

Soldato

That battery level is fine.. As long as it lasts a day I'm not fussed. Which brightness level do you have it set to, out of interest?

I'm going on holiday to dubai soon so hopefully pick one up there a bit cheap... I can't see any issue buying it from abroad other than maybe requiring an adapter for the plug?

It definitely has a speaker :) It's not the best but certainly capable of dealing with a call in a quiet room.

Associate

I have my brightness set to 3 or 4 indoors and if it's bright to 5, it can sometimes be a bit difficult in direct sunlight but not much can be done about this.
Calling on the watch is decent enough, mainly use the phone but still a good feature, except when I hadn't enabled it and just started shouting at my watch :)

Back
Top Bottom