Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Associate
I was under the impression you didn't need android pay or Samsung pay to use your watch for payment (providing your bank supports it) anywhere that uses contactless payment should accept it with the way it works. I'll try and find a video about it.

Soldato
From the app help....
Add your qualifying MasterCard® or Visa card from our issuing partners. Samsung Pay currently supports these partners and there are more on the way:
- First Direct
- HSBC
- M&S
- MBNA
- Nationwide Building Society
- Santander
- Co-op

Your bank needs to support Samsung pay

Associate
Having a quick read the Samsung Gear S3 supports MST and although the UK doesn't officially use MST on the NFC enabled terminals people have reported it working in certain cases.

Personally I don't want to be there 'giving it a go' and it failing with a queue etc

Source

Soldato
had my s3 for a while now, and I do like it. Made a watch face a while ago too, it's on the market if anyone wants to try it(free) called "alien V1 - Digital" if anyone wants to try it :)

battery life is enough tbf, I drop it on charge when I shower and it's fine 90% of the time.

Associate
which models of the samsung gear allow a sim to be put in and do not require a phone, in anyway shape or form? ive been looking around for a while to swap my phone and just use a smart watch for texts, browsing (only use google now and then), paypal, ebay, messenger, calls.

thanks

Don
which models of the samsung gear allow a sim to be put in and do not require a phone, in anyway shape or form? ive been looking around for a while to swap my phone and just use a smart watch for texts, browsing (only use google now and then), paypal, ebay, messenger, calls.

thanks

As far as I know, SIM usage in the UK isn't supported at all on the Gear range.

Man of Honour
as soon as someone releases a watch where you can pop in the sim and it needs no interaction with a phone, is the day i switch :)

There are a few that can do it - but most are a tad heavy :( and poor straps for taking the weight and you often can't just change the strap for something better as its used as the wifi antenna :(

I have one that is reasonably decent other than only being 3G and having to change the stock launcher so as to have a decent watch face but just too heavy really for every day use.

Soldato
The screen on my original Pebble seems to be on the way out and messages are becoming unreadable as of this morning. Worked fine first thing in the morning when I got few messages from my brother and by the time I got to office it's not displaying things properly.

Which watch people recommend these days? From functionality point of few I'm happy with what I get from my Pebble but at the same time want a new "toy" and paying with watch looks convenient and saves me getting card/ phone out of the pocket.

e: budget ideally around £200 but can go higher if it's worth

Soldato
The screen on my original Pebble seems to be on the way out and messages are becoming unreadable as of this morning. Worked fine first thing in the morning when I got few messages from my brother and by the time I got to office it's not displaying things properly.

Which watch people recommend these days? From functionality point of few I'm happy with what I get from my Pebble but at the same time want a new "toy" and paying with watch looks convenient and saves me getting card/ phone out of the pocket.

e: budget ideally around £200 but can go higher if it's worth
You will miss the battery life of the pebble :)

Soldato
I suppose some Fitbit wearables will be the closest to the Pebble's battery life, depending on the model you get. But most "full" smart watches will only have around 2/3 days of battery life on average.

So been a week with my HW2, metal strap came over the weekend and the watch now looks more watchy instead of gadgety. It also made me realise my old GWR was actually pretty bulky, this watch feels more natural to wear and doesn't feel like it gets in the way. Android Pay works fine on it as well, just a quick press of the button, tap the watch over the terminal and it's done. Had no issues with it in stores and on the TFL network (tube, bus).

The only issue I have now is the plastic look on the rim :p. But there's nothing I can do about that.

Soldato
Personally I don't get this bit about battery life. I take my watch off as I get home from work, I drop it onto the charging point. Why do I need more than 18 hours battery life (more than 10 in most cases) Even if I forget one night, I get around 30 hours (or more, I don't know, it never really gets below 70%).

Soldato
Anyone got.a tickwatch s? I see they are available now? Reasonable price and look ok?

I'm looking to get that watch. Getting fed up of Tizen 3.
I went to buy it from their EU store. But for some reason they wanted import charges, which put me off.

Update...I went to buy the E version @£114, but then I read reviews they say the battery only lasts 6-8 hours...hmmm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom