Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
I am absolutely livid with my LG Watch Sport, today the watch has just decided to stop showing notifications and I've tried everything to get them working.

I checked everything from Google's own support pages (notification access, do not disturb mode etc) and couldn't get it to work. So I decide to disconnect and reset the watch, a process I've repeated three times now. One time I even reinstalled the phone's Android Wear app before trying to pair the watch and even that process didn't go smoothly - it kept asking me over and over again to copy my account to the watch.

I've come to the conclusion Android Wear is yet another platform Google has utterly failed to deliver, just like they've failed with tablets and Android TV.

Soldato
I haven't had any pairing issues with my LG G Watch R and Huawei Watch 2 Sport, what phone are you using @Mekrel ?

I'm using a Pixel 2, which makes it all the more frustrating that two Google products can't talk to each other (the LG Watch Sport although not technically a Google device like a Pixel is, was made in partnership between LG and Google to showcase AW 2.0).

It's now working again, after about 4 resets - have not changed any settings on either the phone or the watch. Although there's definitely some software issues still going on such as the take a screenshot function within the phone's Android Wear app not working.

It wouldn't be so bad if resetting up the watch with apps and accounts didn't take so long. It takes even longer on Android 8.0 because I think the auto-fill API is a step backwards in terms of UX versus the old method of using an accessibility service.

With Auto-Fill, I'm finding the following:
  • Unlike Lastpass using accessibility service, fields within apps aren't automatically recognised. I have to long press in a field and hit Auto-Fill
  • Can't auto-fill into Chrome - can probably get around this by using Google as the auto-fill provider but I like that I can set LastPass to request my fingerprint to auto-fill every time. With Google as the provider, it just auto fills without any verification. Plus I can't use Chrome at work, so IE with LastPass extension is needed
In theory you wouldn't need any verification as typically your phone is locked if you're not using it, but there are times that might not be the case. For example, if you leave your phone on your desk after using it and walk away, someone could pick up your device within the 30 seconds before it times out.

Soldato
Did you update to 8.1 recently? I remember reading that the 8.1 preview had BT issues but would've thought they would have fixed that by now.

Yeah the phone is running 8.1 and the watch is running wear based on 8.0 (both official builds).

Google devices do seem to have issues with Bluetooth. Touch wood, mine has been okay as I've not experienced issues with music streaming to my car, including meta data being transferred. Although I do find that the meta data for the current playing song does not show when the device firsts connect to the car, meta data will show fine when the next track starts though.

Soldato
Cheapest place to get a Samsung Gear S3 frontier bar direct from Samsung website?

Before I hit the buy button ....

Unless you go down the grey import route. Direct from Samsung is the best. If you work for an emergency service you can get it for cheaper from them.

I got mine for £225 on Black Friday, if I hadn't of waited I would have for it from £201 instead :(

Soldato
Unless you go down the grey import route. Direct from Samsung is the best. If you work for an emergency service you can get it for cheaper from them.

I got mine for £225 on Black Friday, if I hadn't of waited I would have for it from £201 instead :(

OK thanks for that, just didn't want to spend if there was a better option, Samsung direct is best...

Soldato
Ordered the Gear S3 Frontier last night :D

Can't wait to have a play with it, already got an S8 so looking forward to seeing how it works together but mainly for the running/heart rate side of things

Permabanned
Having a fair bit of trouble here guys...

Never owned a smart watch before but always been intrigued. I'm currently torn between the Huawei 2 and the Gear S3. Done the obligatory evening of review reading and the Gear S3 seems to be a better all rounder, but at £120 price increase and what looks to be some fairly restrictive proprietary software...

Going to be pairing with a OP5, making little to no use of the fitness features (for the moments at least).

Soldato
Picked up the new Fossil Gen 3 whilst in the USA. Its missing NFC and a heartrate monitor. But now has a full screen and looks nice.

Very happy with the price I paid. (£147.99 according to my Halifax Card)

20170911_134240.jpg

How are you getting on with the Fossil mate?

I can get one for around £160 but keep hesitating with my decision.

Soldato
Going to return my S3, first time I took it out for a run and it crashed half way round a 6 mile run and its pace per mile seemed to be way off slow .... It's a smart watch but no fitness watch ... My search continues

Associate
Going to return my S3, first time I took it out for a run and it crashed half way round a 6 mile run and its pace per mile seemed to be way off slow .... It's a smart watch but no fitness watch ... My search continues

I was close to buying an S3 to replace my Vivoactive as my everyday/running watch but read it wasn't too great with tracking distance too accurately.

My next option is the Vivoactive 3 but I'd ideally like a watch with offline Spotify support so the search continues for me too.

Soldato
Never had an issue with my S3, works great when I am at the gym or running around my local area.

There is also the Gear Sport but its the same tech as the S3, only smaller.

Back
Top Bottom