Snow Sports 2016/17

Soldato
Just about sorted for Val Thorens in Feb. Only thing I need now is a bag :)

d88affe6-782c-4010-8fb0-b5f6c310b080.jpg

(Bindings came today :D)

Soldato
Flying V? Great board, I have the 2014. It can be a little hard work in powder but it's lovely on piste, great feel on turns, I've never had it surprise me.

Finally got my Morzine trip all booked, bring on the end of Jan, not long now :cool:

Soldato
As a family our new years resolution for 2016 was to learn to snowboard/ski (which ever was preferred) and so we have.

We are fortunate enough to have a Snodome within 10 miles so it made it easier to not make excuses to not do it.

So we went and learned to snowboard and we love it. Our daughter over the year has been to a few half term camps and has learned to both snowboard and ski. We are all proficient enough to use the slope now unsupervised and we have been a few times to keep fresh.

As we enjoyed it so much we have booked our first winter sports holiday and will be heading off to Tignes in February for a week away.

We haven't booked any lessons yet and I was wondering what are peoples experience of lessons? We are not out and out beginners and so we are more looking for something that would help us acclimatise to the mountains and give us a dummies guide as such on how to use the lifts, what runs to stick with etc.

Any advice welcome.

Soldato
If you're comfortable on a snowdome and got a full week I would just get out on the slopes the first day or morning at least and just ease yourself into the blue runs, using the lifts etc. and enjoy leisurely carving your way down and enjoying the scenery :)

Then do a lesson the second day....you'll probably have some bad habits that need sorting out.

Going from the dome to the mountain the main thing is knowing your slope etiquette. Don't stop anywhere there isn't a clear line of sight from up-piste. If someone is below you on the slope *you* are responsible for not colliding with them. Obviously try and be aware of what is going on above you, but always assume the guy below has no idea you are there.

Lifts on a snowboard can be intimidating at first! Just don't worry about, everybody looks awkward doing the one-leg shimmy....and everyone falls on their arse sometimes while coasting off at the end. Just try and get out of the way of the people behind if you do fall over.

Soldato
I'd actually advise getting an hours lesson on the first day just to get them to show you the lifts and the slightly different surface that the snow is compared to the indoor slopes.

Then you can just crack on with the blues for the rest of the week.

Flying V? Great board, I have the 2014. It can be a little hard work in powder but it's lovely on piste, great feel on turns, I've never had it surprise me.

Finally got my Morzine trip all booked, bring on the end of Jan, not long now :cool:

Thanks, it's the camber version as it's easier to turn. Not really into doing much tricks etc and just enjoy carving down the mountain :)

Man of Honour
had my second ski lesson, safe to say I'm not a natural born skier. However the instructor was far better. and now passed the first stage, 3 more to go. took this instructor one look at me trying to snow plough to identify the issue and tell me how to solve it.
however now ended the lesson only being able to turn one way, as apparently I put most of my weight through one leg.
ah well, hope i get him for the next lesson and hope i get to a stage where i can actually enjoy the holiday.

Soldato
We haven't booked any lessons yet and I was wondering what are peoples experience of lessons? We are not out and out beginners and so we are more looking for something that would help us acclimatise to the mountains and give us a dummies guide as such on how to use the lifts, what runs to stick with etc.

I would treat the lessons as more of a ski guiding session. They'll show you around the mountain and give you tips along the way. Skiing on the mountain is a little different in terms of awareness and orientation. For example if for some reason I really decided that I had to learn to snowboard properly and could only snowboard for a week I would get half day lessons almost every morning and keep the afternoons free for doing whatever.

You can dictate how you want the lessons to run. I would definitely get lessons from the start of the holiday. If you're keen to get more skiing time in, then make sure you get on the first lift and have a couple of runs before the lesson begins and then use the afternoon to explore at your leisure.

If your daughter is much better consider a youth group of appropriate level. I used to really enjoy that when I went to Whistler years back and the instructors were brilliant. Met some nice people during the lessons too! Might keep her entertained when not hanging out with the old folk!

Soldato
Thanks for all the feedback.

My wife and I are boarders and we don't plan on using the holiday to learn to ski as we could do that more cost effectively at home (if that makes sense) but we are both nervous about lift use and slope etiquette etc.

I think morning lessons seem to be a good way to go, at least for the first 3 days. With our daughter a youth group sounds good so will look in to that, but our main aim is to get plenty of slope time together as a family, so we don't want to just dump her off in a group and do our own thing then meet up with her again at dinner time.

Soldato
If you're nervous about lifts then do a morning lesson the first day and they'll run you through it.

Getting off lifts isn't that bad, it's just disconcerting riding with one foot out of the bindings. It's worth taking one foot out at the bottom of an easy blue run and just coasting down a little bit to get your confidence up, once you can do that lifts are a breeze!

Most resorts have at least one gondola that you just carry your gear onto and put in racks anyway so you can get going without any worries.

Soldato
Thanks for all the feedback.

My wife and I are boarders and we don't plan on using the holiday to learn to ski as we could do that more cost effectively at home (if that makes sense) but we are both nervous about lift use and slope etiquette etc.

I think morning lessons seem to be a good way to go, at least for the first 3 days. With our daughter a youth group sounds good so will look in to that, but our main aim is to get plenty of slope time together as a family, so we don't want to just dump her off in a group and do our own thing then meet up with her again at dinner time.

Lifts aren't too bad. I've got used to them now and I've only been away twice. Button lifts are harder for me :p

On the ski lift just sit on the outside edge of the chair (furthest away from the centre) and then when you get off just ride away gently. You can hold onto the chair to push you away from everything :)

Do not sit on the nearest seat to the centre because if you fall at the end, people are going to trip over you and then the chair will smack you as well for good measure :p

Hope that makes sense.

Soldato
Yeap that makes perfect sense.

Thankfully button lifts are the only thing we have all used so we are pretty comfortable with them even though they are uncomfortable as hell! 3 minutes bottom to top at the snodome is bad enough I couldn't imagine what a much longer ride on a button lift up a mountain would feel like!

Soldato
So we decided against doing the logistics ourselves and just pay a little more to get an all-in-one package to save any hassle.

So we are going to Borovets in Bulgaria 18th March! :D Can't wait! It's been 5 years since I've been, although I won't be skiing; going to give snow boarding a try because the rest haven't skied so at least I'll be at the same level as them.

Man of Honour
as its black friday tomorrow, think it might be a good time to buy the kit. obviously hiring skis, boots and i assume helmet out there.

but any advice on the other stuff, anything to look out for?
is it just jacket, Salopettes, googles and some sort of neck/face warmer, or is there anything else?

and lessons are going so much better now. Snow plough turning is down, next lesson is parallel turning. oh and my legs arent in agony this time so that's good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Socks, base layers/thermals, fleece, gloves.

I don't have great circulation to my extremities normally, but I'd say definitely have good gloves and socks. Once your hands/feet are cold or sore/blisters and you still have half a day to go, it can really put a downer on your experience.
Even if you manage to warm your hands up, if the gloves are soaked through, they're going to be cold and wet for the rest of the day.

Associate
I was lucky when I started! Didn't need lesson as I've surfed all my life and skate board found it to be exactly the same skateboarding on every sense! Stopping is just a power slide! I'm buzzing for my holiday 19th march courchevel 1850! Has anyone ever been there? I'm normally a Val T kinda guy!

Caporegime
Sore legs and a few new scrapes on the bottoms of my skis... Must be the start of a new season! :D

Went to Lake Louise today, some reasonable snow but still a few rocks sticking out in places. :(

I like my new skis - the X drives seem quite nice on both icy and chopped pow. :D

Associate
Lucky, Lucky so & so... :D

When does the season start for them? What I mean is, are they normally open by now?

Just a day trip by the sounds of it, far to travel?

Caporegime
Mid November is usually normal for resorts around here apparently. They were talking about opening at the beginning of nov this year but we got a sudden warm patch and they had to delay. Some of the resorts are now open, and some of the lower ones aren't fully open yet. Louise opened last weekend, with the last two main lifts opening yesterday morning.

Yeah, just a day trip. Louise is 2 hours away, but the other close resorts are around an hour or so. The slope in the city (Canada Olympic Park) has also been making snow for about the last week as well so hopefully they open soon. Just a short slope really but it's nice to go in the evening sometimes. I also want to learn to board there at some point to.

Back
Top Bottom