SNP to break up Britian?

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;22809426 said:
Because they want to effect change or gain something - but in this case the job is done. They've got the referendum. It has been granted. All they need to do now is wait and vote.

It's a march for Independence, not a march for an Independence Referendum?

Can you appreciate the subtle difference?

[TW]Fox;22809426 said:
The only benefit of marching is to convince others to agree with them which isnt neccesary because independance is already what Scotland wants, right?

How does it differ to any other sort of campaigning, be it door to door community based television radio news street canvassing mailshots or conferences?

There are marches in Edinburgh quite often, from Gay Pride to the "Scottish Defence League". They all tend to try to raise awareness and campaign, in some vain, and there is nothing wrong with it irrespective of their issues.

Gav

Gav

Associate
[TW]Fox;22808574 said:
All you'll choose is who you vote for - like now. Why is it the pro-independance people think the future would be some sort of utopia where they get to 'choose'? Really? You'll vote for a government who will choose what happens on your behalf - not you. You'll still be located in the same place in the world on the same landmass connected to the same England you hate speaking the same language driving on the same side of the road with the same weather shopping at the same shops etc etc...

Just like the English population doesn't choose its own path in the world now!

It seems all very romantic and appealing whilst you continue to believe that somehow independance means individual Scots being able to decide how the country works doesn't it...

Anything will be better than being ruled by London.

Soldato
Just what I said, that they are responsible for only around 10% of spending. After the recent extention of powers and responsibilities in the Scotland Bill, that will be around 15%.

If you are talking about tax raising powers say that. The Scots are certainly in charge of their own affairs and have more money per person to do it with than anyone else in the UK.

You've lost me now, there are extentions of power beyond raising and spending but even then the amount of cash the SG is repsonsible for raising and spending is rather pathetic.

Straight forward general statement for the benefit of all readers Biohazard - nothing to get lost in. :confused:

The devolution agenda has only ever been followed or looked at to stem nationalism, not for all involved but in terms of the Establishment many believe this to be the case.

if you say so.

Permabanned
Lets hope your Independence March is more successful than any of the above :D

lol, touché.

United Against Fascism marches are very successful in Scotland, at least in showing that far far more people are willing to move against them than for them.

Quite hilariously so.

Alternatively, on the other side of things the Anarchists seemed rather successful in the Edinburgh G8 Riots on their intents!

Stop the war - that impacted beyond Scotland and given the gravity of that subject I'm not so keen to see the funny side of that one.

Permabanned
If you are talking about tax raising powers say that. The Scots are certainly in charge of their own affairs and have more money per person to do it with than anyone else in the UK.

Tax raising and spending, accountability.

Scots are in charge of their own affairs in a few areas, many are still reserved.

Straight forward general statement for the benefit of all readers Biohazard - nothing to get lost in. :confused:

Ok.

if you say so.

"Devolution will kill Nationalism stone dead"

Bit of a giveaway from Labour at the time, the Conservative party is not much better at the devolution game from a Scots political spectrum perspective.

Man of Honour
It's a march for Independence, not a march for an Independence Referendum?

Can you appreciate the subtle difference?

Of course I can. I think you missed my point.

Scotland has been granted the ability to decide if it wants to be independant. This has happened. There is no need to campaign for this, so presumably the march isn't about this.

Pro independance people tell us that independance is what Scotland wants. So why the need for a March? I men Scotland wants it, right? So they'll all vote for it in 2014, job done, no need to go marching?

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;22809650 said:
Of course I can. I think you missed my point.

Scotland has been granted the ability to decide if it wants to be independant. This has happened. There is no need to campaign for this, so presumably the march isn't about this.

Scotland has itself the ability to decide the only difference is we have managed to do it within the only viable channel - devolution and resounding political statement. Not a Westminster Government who verhemently opposed a referendum up until that event even though a majority of Scots wished for one long beforehand.

This is reactive politics, not proactive from the Westminster perspective.

As said the march is about Independence, not the referendum. Yes.

[TW]Fox;22809650 said:
Pro independance people tell us that independance is what Scotland wants. So why the need for a March? I men Scotland wants it, right? So they'll all vote for it in 2014, job done, no need to go marching?

Why is it so hard?

No one has predicted the result and this is apart of the campaign.

Man of Honour
then you are not aware of much.

to say that about Norway is an insult. they have a varied, modern economy and are able to create a wealth fund from the additional funds of the oil.

To say that their success stemmed from oil perhaps isn't all that unfair, it was the initial driver that gave them the freedom to develop the varied modern economy. It's certainly not all there is to the economy now but it provided a good deal of impetus for them to develop further.

Except they get around that by declaring him 'unfit for release' every 21 years, no?

Perhaps they will but I'd feel fairly comfortable that given Norway's prediliction for approaching rehabilitation as a good thing rather than just something tacked on at the end they're likely to give a reasonable attempt at an evaluation rather than it being a foregone conclusion he'll always be declared unfit for release.

Man of Honour
Anything will be better than being ruled by London.

Anything?

That sounds like a well reasoned opinion.

What is it about the current setup that has such a negative effect on your daily life that you beleive literally anything (Well, anything political) would be better than Westminster?

Soldato
To say that their success stemmed from oil perhaps isn't all that unfair, it was the initial driver that gave them the freedom to develop the varied modern economy. It's certainly not all there is to the economy now but it provided a good deal of impetus for them to develop further.

I take your point but you are being generous regarding the possible connotations of his message. He said their success comes from oil and did not articulate further.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
United Against Fascism marches are very successful in Scotland, at least in showing that far far more people are willing to move against them than for them.

As much as I dislike the EDL/SDL/WDL I hold UAF in just as much contempt. Most of the violence at EDL marches has been due to UAF, I believe they have even had more arrests than the EDL.

Permabanned
As much as I dislike the EDL/SDL/WDL I hold UAF in just as much contempt. Most of the violence at EDL marches has been due to UAF, I believe they have even had more arrests than the EDL.

Not really the same here. The police do this to the "SDL" depending on their intent and behavour;

sdldemo124101525.jpg

As thousands of rational minded and peaceful Scots march passed like this;

onemn.jpg

twoe.jpg

http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/glas...-group-hold-city-centre-demo-102692-23768669/

Same elsewhere, there is never really any violence I can think of. More recently numbers have increased on the SDL side, but again they are outnumbered in the big demonstrations. It's been a year or so since the last one I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also the counter argument seems to be we're better together, but there is little evidence, facts or figures coming out from that side of the argument to prove that either. It seems to be a "just beacuse we will be" kinda attitude, all this comes from the politicians too

This kinda makes me think that England in particular are more fearful of breaking up the union than Scotland are going it alone, is there more for them to lose?

I think you are reading something that just isn't there. IMO the English are generally unionists, it isn't fear, it's just that splitting up doesn't occur to the average English person. If a poll was taken of opinions from the English I would bet that we would like to maintain the union but if you voted for independence then we would wish you all the best.

Back
Top Bottom