SNP to break up Britian?

Permabanned
well I dont necessarily agree with that but i will say that it does seem like English nationalism is very suppressed, e.g yesterday was st george day we should have a bank holiday :)

We have an honorary bank holiday for St Andrew's day but no one is compelled to comply with it.

It's what you make of it, not time off work and businesses closing. English nationalism is suppressed, when it was expanding Empire it was very strong, in trying to appease the effect of that - especially during decline - it in effect sacrificed it for a larger ethos to maintain those gains. Very simply, imo.

Permabanned
I do. I think about it each time a thread like this pops up.

and it's going to get much worse as the hard facts and fictions of the potential referendum result draw closer to reality.

I wouldn't, but then it's not really about you or anyone else who doesn't live in Scotland. Most Scots wanted a referendum, even the political opposition in Holyrood at varying points called for a referendum.

Scotland voted for it, and it's going to get it.

That you all find this incredibly sad is quite patronising towards the issue and disconnected from the political theatre in Scotland.

Instead of the frowns, why not take the time to eloquent your disappointment in positive terms as opposed to depression?

D13

D13

Associate
We have an honorary bank holiday for St Andrew's day but no one is compelled to comply with it.

It's what you make of it, not time off work and businesses closing. English nationalism is suppressed, when it was expanding Empire it was very strong, in trying to appease the effect of that - especially during decline - it in effect sacrificed it for a larger ethos to maintain those gains. Very simply, imo.

well it doesnt really bother me, but any new bh is a welcome one :) its pretty much only good thing about useless **** monarchy.

Also i guess sometimes its confusing what to be patriotic/nationalistic about,
I mean when i watch recently on youtube the ships returning from the Falklands and the crowds roaring rule britannia, it really did fire the spirit!

Also i would say its not fair just to lump people against Scottish independance into all being scaremongering. People like myself have genuine view that we are pretty much family and should stick together.

Soldato
everything is here:

http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_273150_en.pdf

it's not quite final.

it includes as much as is finalised and discusses the OBR's own results but also discusses the projections that the SNP raised.

I saw similar things but thought it wrong. Quite frankly c£11bn isn't that much in the grand scheme of nations, I would take from that North Sea oil isn't as significant in the overall economy than is made out to be.

Sometimes I think people overestimate the support the oil provides, worrying if the public see that as a major issue in the debate.

Soldato
I wouldn't, but then it's not really about you or anyone else who doesn't live in Scotland. Most Scots wanted a referendum, even the political opposition in Holyrood at varying points called for a referendum.

Scotland voted for it, and it's going to get it.

That you all find this incredibly sad is quite patronising towards the issue and disconnected from the political theatre in Scotland.

Instead of the frowns, why not take the time to eloquent your disappointment in positive terms as opposed to depression?

you should have taken the time to read the quote I was replying to:

"Does anyone else not think it's sad seeing this whole independence debate create an us and them attitude that wasn't really this bad before?"

- the answer is still: yes, I do

Soldato
I saw similar things but thought it wrong. Quite frankly c£11bn isn't that much in the grand scheme of nations, I would take from that North Sea oil isn't as significant in the overall economy than is made out to be.

Sometimes I think people overestimate the support the oil provides, worrying if the public see that as a major issue in the debate.

it is significant (between 2 and 4% of UK GDP I think )but FAR more significant to an independent Scotland when size and populations are taken into account.

I think it represents around 22% of a possible independent Scotland's GDP as things stand and then we must speculate over future oil prices and recoverable oil figures THEN stretch them out and guestimate how the resource will provide over the life of the fields which could be between 40 and 100 years in total depending on who's right.

Last edited:

D13

D13

Associate

ah yeah see thats what I saw on tv, pretty much the oil boom was exactly at the same time thatcher was in, so really there is argument as to whether she really did help pick up the economy or just squandered all the oil. Why is governments so dumb that they cant put aside some money for rainy day.

Soldato
It would, without North Sea oil value the pound would devalue causing further problems for an economy not well placed to take advantage of that circumstance.

Oil has only ever had a positive effect on Sterling, it largely helped the rise when the UK was otherwise economically stagnant. There is no doubt in that.

There is every benefit to the UK in keeping Scotland in a currency zone, without Scottish resources the pound would devalue accordingly. Having an overarching currency agreement keeps our combined wealth and value together, we save on a long transition and the rUK broadly keeps the value of its own currency in line with now.

So, it has nothing to to do with balance of payments as you originally said.

We've been actively trying to devalue Sterling since the crash, as have most other nations. Having currency inflation induced by exports from another nation is not helpful. Nor is having a currency linked to the price of oil when you're not an oil exporter.

There's no appetite for a currency union in the UK, and that doesn't just apply to Scotland. Scotland must respect the wishes of the UK, the same as the UK will respects Scotland's decision on it's status in the union.

Besides, if Scotland wishes to use Sterling after Independence there's little can be done to stop them. And if what you say is true (which I don't believe it is) then the UK will get the "benefits" of higher Sterling prices without having to be bound by a formal currency union.

Last edited:
Permabanned
If you find inconsistencies then bring them to the fore otherwise the is the best document for the argument and does the SNP no favours.

The CPPR have damaged their credibility in attacking the Scottish Government before. It's a Labour think tank for heaven's sake.

I don't think it's that damaging for Yes Scotland.

I still stand that you'd be far better off paying attention to official documents.

Soldato
ah yeah see thats what I saw on tv, pretty much the oil boom was exactly at the same time thatcher was in, so really there is argument as to whether she really did help pick up the economy or just squandered all the oil. Why is governments so dumb that they cant put aside some money for rainy day.

I share your pov to an extent but many in the late 70's and early 80's considered that period to be pouring lol :D

Permabanned
Also i would say its not fair just to lump people against Scottish independance into all being scaremongering. People like myself have genuine view that we are pretty much family and should stick together.

I haven't, but by in large that's what the campaign itself has been throwing out and a fair amount of the unhappy posters here.

Permabanned
you should have taken the time to read the quote I was replying to:

"Does anyone else not think it's sad seeing this whole independence debate create an us and them attitude that wasn't really this bad before?"

- the answer is still: yes, I do

To that I don't think this has increased any 'us' and 'them' attitude, the Better Together campaign seems to be quite negative and some contributors now barely being able to hold back their contempt. That's not reflective of society though, not here anyway.

People here are either engaged, or a bit bored of it already. That'll swing around when it gets close even if people have already made up their minds.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
got to say after watching salmond of late he really does just blurt out what he thinks is best at the time doesnt he. take the whole money mess thats going on now, will scotland keep the british pound, make its own or go to the euro, salmonds supported each option over the years and i wouldnt be surprised if he came up with another one later in the year.

if this is the guy the scots really want to lead them to independence then god help them.

D13

D13

Associate
I share your pov to an extent but many in the late 70's and early 80's considered that period to be pouring lol :D

lol fair enough, i am 30 so dont remember before thatcher but my mum did used to say it was pretty bad times.

I haven't, but by in large that's what the campaign itself has been throwing out and a fair amount of the unhappy posters here.

Well i guess sadly, for any political argument it always ends up ugly, especially when we are talkign about independence. tbh I dont think it matters what tories/labour campaign about doesn't matter how much money they throw at it, pretty much everybody hates them.

Permabanned
So, it has nothing to to do with balance of payments as you originally said.

Well of course it does, it wouldn't make it any easier for the Treasury.

We've been actively trying to devalue Sterling since the crash, as have most other nations. Having currency inflation induced by exports from another nation is not helpful. Nor is having a currency linked to the price of oil when you're not an oil exporter.

We've been having to print money to save the banks and force liquidity, pound has been one of the weakest currencies since the crash and our growth has not materialised. We couldn't afford for it to fall further, it would risk undermining confidence in it as a whole.

There's no appetite for a currency union in the UK, and that doesn't just apply to Scotland. Scotland must respect the wishes of the UK, the same as the UK will respects Scotland's decision on it's status in the union.

Why are other people afforded a Sterling Zone, and have done in the past, but not Scotland?

If it does happen, I suspect that Osborne would have a change of heart. Somehow.

Besides, if Scotland wishes to use Sterling after Independence there's little can be done to stop them. And if what you say is true (which I don't believe it is) then the UK will get the "benefits" of higher Sterling prices without having to be bound by a formal currency union.

Exactly, although I see no reason why there could not be a formality about it. It wouldn't be the first time. Both Government's are committed to working constructively in the advent of a successful referendum.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom