So, anyone got an iRobot Roomba or other robot vacuum cleaner?

Associate
Still loving my Roborock Q Revo and I will never again have another robot without a full mopping and mop cleaning function. It's amazing how much effort it saves!
Just to let you know, I bought one off the strength of your posts.

About £550 all in. Probably get stuck with fees from the tax man. So about £670ish hopefully.

Soldato
Seems a bit of an overreaction to state they’re useless if it’s good on a hard floor. Fortunately, we have mostly hard flooring so that’s good to know.

Considering we’re getting it for free I’m not too fussed anyway. If I’d won it myself I’d have probably just sold it on though.

You have to remember you won it, I paid £1,200 launch price and it doesn't clean as well as bots half that price. Cleaning hard floors something a manufacturer would have to actually try to not do right, in order to get it wrong. Unlike carpet, suction and agitation levels don't need to be that high to remove dust and debris from a hard floor.

The poor performance on carpet is just one of many issues. I've lost count of the number of times it'll just completely miss a room, or it'll decide one day that the rug is an obstacle it has to go around, or the next day it'll happily go on the rug. Same with door thresholds, some days it considers them obstacles (I suspect this is what stops it going into a room some time), other days they're not an issue.

It should be the best bot on the market (D shaped, Lidar and 3D/RGB camera obstacle detection), and it still has the capability to be so, all Samsung needs to do is release a redesigned brush and update the software to cut out all the obstacle detection issues.

Caporegime
You have to remember you won it, I paid £1,200 launch price and it doesn't clean as well as bots half that price. Cleaning hard floors something a manufacturer would have to actually try to not do right, in order to get it wrong. Unlike carpet, suction and agitation levels don't need to be that high to remove dust and debris from a hard floor.

The poor performance on carpet is just one of many issues. I've lost count of the number of times it'll just completely miss a room, or it'll decide one day that the rug is an obstacle it has to go around, or the next day it'll happily go on the rug. Same with door thresholds, some days it considers them obstacles (I suspect this is what stops it going into a room some time), other days they're not an issue.

It should be the best bot on the market (D shaped, Lidar and 3D/RGB camera obstacle detection), and it still has the capability to be so, all Samsung needs to do is release a redesigned brush and update the software to cut out all the obstacle detection issues.

Sounds like you should have returned it then :cry:

Caporegime
OP
Just to let you know, I bought one off the strength of your posts.

About £550 all in. Probably get stuck with fees from the tax man. So about £670ish hopefully.
Nice! I don't see how you can't like it if your house is not full of obstacles and/or full of carpet. If you have reasonably tidy place with mostly hard floor I think you are going to be loving it. :D

Soldato
I think the new Dyson, whilst severely lacking in some of the features department for a premium bot (self emptying dust bin and AI obstacle avoidance), does bring some genuine innovation to the sector.

The little side port that opens looks to work extremely well, I've always said side brushes aren't great, particularly on carpet where they can't agitate well or there's no direct suction. Plus the suction power is next level, almost too powerful as there was an Aussie YT reviewer who was only getting less than 20 minutes run time on max power mode.

I still don't think there's a bot that takes all the best parts of each implementation.

Caporegime
OP
I think the new Dyson, whilst severely lacking in some of the features department for a premium bot (self emptying dust bin and AI obstacle avoidance), does bring some genuine innovation to the sector.

The little side port that opens looks to work extremely well, I've always said side brushes aren't great, particularly on carpet where they can't agitate well or there's no direct suction. Plus the suction power is next level, almost too powerful as there was an Aussie YT reviewer who was only getting less than 20 minutes run time on max power mode.

I still don't think there's a bot that takes all the best parts of each implementation.
You do not need much suction power in a robot vacuum especially if you have mostly hard floors. I run my Q Revo on "balanced mode" which is less than half max power and it picks everything. With carpet mode I think 5000-6000 is also all you need for daily cleaning. The side vacuuming is cool but in the end Dyson brings nothing game-changing for daily cleaning vs features and does even not have an auto-empty base station which is unacceptable in 2023 at this price range. It's a device for "Dyson fans" who are willing to pay a premium for the brand they know and trust and don't do any research before buying.

Last edited:
Associate
A bargain! Where from and delivered to the UK?

Mine has just been posted from Germany so hopefully here next week.

Total was £655 delivered to the UK and after the tax man has his finger in the pie.

It took about 6 days from https://www.powerplanetonline.com/, its a Spanish website. Shipped from Spain.

I've ran it every morning for a quick vac and then a full vac in the evening with a mop after it's done.

It's great.

I need another Dock for upstairs, so that it could mop there too, my fix is to take the Dock upstairs for the time being.

Soldato
Bought my first robot vac - some Chinese make called Lubluelu.

It's incredible. £140, lidar works brilliantly, maps several floors, no go zones, falls sensor , and picks up so much. I thought we had a clean house, every day I re-empty a full bin. Astounding for the price. House smells so much better.

It mops as well, but we'll never use that, so got a 3rd party replacement that is all bin & no water reservoir.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What's the best self emptying robot now?
Do they work? Ie how often do you need to empty the?

The Eufy g30 (I think?) is great. But with so much dog hair I have to empty the Eufy every time it runs.

Black Friday is on the way.. And it's a tempting purchase

Edit.. I don't need lidar. I don't think the lidar ones will fit under the sofa. Fitting under the sofa is more important than lidar.

Edit 2
Seen a very competitively priced eufy g40 with self emptying. Anyone got this?

Last edited:
Associate
Total was £655 delivered to the UK and after the tax man has his finger in the pie.

It took about 6 days from https://www.powerplanetonline.com/, its a Spanish website. Shipped from Spain.
After 2 weeks of being reminded how much hair a cat generates I have decided to get a robot vacuum and following richdog’s glowing review and other reviews online going to get the Q Revo so will be interested in seeing how quick your delivery comes in.

Caporegime
No idea on the best but I wouldn't go back to a non self emptying robot now.

Our Roomba get about 40 / 50 vacs of the carpeted ground floor area before needing the bag changing, we do have two dogs and a cat so perhaps 60 without animals.
Seems hard to believe!
The bin on mine is filled every second run! And house isn't big.

Never clogs?

Caporegime
He obviously means the bag in the self-emptying docking station, not the bin in the robot.

I know!
I mean it seems hard to believe as my little bin fills up very quickly and the bags in the base unit don't look that big.
So seems hard to believe those bags can hold 30+ full robot bins.

Back
Top Bottom