• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So whos gone and got a 680 gtx then?

I take it this is the new benchmark card? System is six going no seven years old so keeping an eye this year as I’m going to buy a new rig with a new 27” screen.

I can’t believe some are buying two of these surly that’s immense overkill?

I ‘ve been reading for months and months on here but this is the first time I thought “ There is the card I want!” if it plays BF3 ARMAIII flawless I’ll be happy. Interesting to read a 4Gb card could be out later as I’m looking to get the new system late when the summer is over on Win 8.

Don’t want to deviate form the Thread but off the top of your heads what CPU’s are we looking forward too later this year that would compliment this beast!. I say Beast as compared to my first PC these things are so powerful now. ;)

I take it this is the new benchmark card? System is six going no seven years old so keeping an eye this year as I’m going to buy a new rig with a new 27” screen.

I ‘ve been reading for months and months on here but this is the first time I thought “ There is the card I want!” if it plays BF3 ARMAIII flawless I’ll be happy. Interesting to read a 4Gb card could be out later as I’m looking to get the new system late when the summer is over on Win 8.

Don’t want to deviate form the Thread but off the top of your heads what CPU’s are we looking forward too later this year that would compliment this beast!. I say Beast as compared to my first PC these things are so powerful now. ;)

Theres only the Ivy Bridge to look forward too.

Two 680s are necessary for 60fps in games like BF3, Metro 2033 and Shogun 2 at 1600p; for 1080p it's an entirely different matter. So it depends whether the 27" you're looking at is native resolution (2560x1440) or low DPI (1920x1080). And don't forget, many people are gaming at 120Hz at 1080p which isn't possible for most games with just one 680.

Anyone noticed that the 680s downclock to 549mhz ish instead of 340~ when you have two monitors attached? :S

I'd imagine that's normal. My 580 only goes to 2D clocks when idling on the destkop cos i run at 120Hz. Should be the same for 2 monitors. double the work required so idle clocks may not cut it.

When switching between nvidia cards, do you need to do anything special on the driver font? Is uninstall old drivers > remove old card > install new card > install new drivers good enough?

Anyone noticed that the 680s downclock to 549mhz ish instead of 340~ when you have two monitors attached? :S
Yeah, that's normal. The HD5970 I owned before had an issue whereby when you overclocked it the power-saver state would cause the screen to flicker because the clocks dropped to low; I had to mod the cards BIOS just to fix it.

Yeah, that's normal. The HD5970 I owned before had an issue whereby when you overclocked it the power-saver state would cause the screen to flicker because the clocks dropped to low; I had to mod the cards BIOS just to fix it.

That would be on extended desktop right ?
I just mod a user profile to fix that problem now.

Last edited:
When switching between nvidia cards, do you need to do anything special on the driver font? Is uninstall old drivers > remove old card > install new card > install new drivers good enough?
Nope. You don't even need to do anything special when moving between AMD and nVidia. It's just a case of changing out the cards, uninstalling the old drivers (before or after makes no difference) and installing the new ones. Driver cleaners are only really useful if you're trying to install older drivers, as sometimes Windows will keep opting for the newer ones.

As promised guys, here are some BF3 2560X1600 benchmarks for you.

480 + 480SLI

2xgtx4802.png

gtx680.png

I did try that route but still had problems, even when I tried disabling PowerPlay altogether. Modding the BIOS was the only way I found to completely get rid of it.

I don't mess with any of that.

<Property name="Want_0" value="30000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="120000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="120000" />

to

<Property name="Want_0" value="120000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="120000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="120000" />

<Property name="Want_0" value="15700" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="55000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="90000" />

to
<Property name="Want_0" value="40000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="55000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="90000" />

Need to use custom fan Profile and edit that user profile.

Last edited:

If your using Windows 7, you can install both drivers at the same time. Windows 7 supports 2 graphics driver installs.

I had a gtx 480 a bout a week ago. Its gone for RMA and now im waiting for my replacement 580. In the meantime, I'm using my spare amd 6850. All I did was take out the 480, plug in the 6850 and installed the Cat driver. My nVidia is still installed. When my 580 arrives, a quick swap and i'll probably remove the Cat driver.

Both nVidia and AMD use single unified drivers. The same driver applies to a whole range of cards. So its pointless uninstalling drivers when upgrading a nVidia with another nVidia. Its the same drivers.

Last edited:
I made a thread about this the other night after observing this.

Plug both monitors into DVI and it down-clocks to 300Mhz properly.

Ah yes, just found your thread. Interesting....

They are both plugged in via DVI although I think the issue is one is DVI-D (120Hz) and the other is normal DVI so it counts as different inputs?

Also on a separate note, I was surprised that my main monitor still runs 120Hz with a 60Hz monitor on the other DVI slot. I don't know why but I thought it would only work on 60Hz with the other monitor attached.

Back
Top Bottom