• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So whos gone and got a 680 gtx then?

I can understand the lure of a shiny new toy but when there is literally ~no performance difference when overclocked I just can't see the point :)
Performance is the biggest reason for buying a top-end graphics card, but there are other important factors.

My biggest reasons for ordering one (in order of preference) were:-
i). Performance
ii). Feautures (Turbo boost, Physx, virtually free 16xAA)
iii). Size (has to fit inside a Sugo case)
iv). Power consumption (I know 25w saves very little money, but I am energy anal at the moment).
v). I prefer NVidia drivers.
vi). Because it's new and different.

Some may only be concerned by performance, but I would probably have purchased the GTX680, even if it was a bit slower (which thankfully it is not).

EVGA 680 arriving soon:).

Anyone care to bench Crysis 2 at max settings you might need this...

http://www.overclock.net/t/991016/crysis-2-benchmark-tool-new-dx11-version

And report min fps @1200p if poss and actual GPU temps....seems people are getting 20c less temps than reviewers :confused:

Cheers

Are you sure there not comparing absolute GPU temps to reviewers who report temps on a delta? That's the only explanation I can come up with for such a variance. The only other thing it could is a lot reviewers use open test benches rather then enclosed cases.

i). Performance
ii). Feautures (Turbo boost, Physx, virtually free 16xAA)
iii). Size (has to fit inside a Sugo case)
iv). Power consumption (I know 25w saves very little money, but I am energy anal at the moment).
v). I prefer NVidia drivers.
vi). Because it's new and different.

i). I wanted a shiny new toy
ii). See i)

:D

Are you sure there not comparing absolute GPU temps to reviewers who report temps on a delta? That's the only explanation I can come up with for such a variance. The only other thing it could is a lot reviewers use open test benches rather then enclosed cases.

look at post #96 on this thread.

We know 99% of reviewers are unreliable, It would be nice to think a few around here could be !

I can understand the lure of a shiny new toy but when there is literally ~no performance difference when overclocked I just can't see the point :)

3D vision and Physx in BF3 and other games is quite a large difference.

Also if you overclock a 7970 to 1.2 Ghz, but also overclock a GTX 680 to 1.3 Ghz which they are capable of from reviews, then the 680 still wins.

Enthusiasts will be enthusiasts, they will throw out their old shiny for a new shiny because they want a new toy as long as the performance is just a slight bit better. If the GTX 680 is winning the enthusiasts over to the point of switching from a 7970, then its obviously a great card :D

I managed to grab myself EVGA 680 from overclockers on the very first minutes it came on sale :P + i got a pack of haribo gums :P TY OCuk, they were tasty :) lovely card, and rlly good service as always.

Also if you overclock a 7970 to 1.2 Ghz, but also overclock a GTX 680 to 1.3 Ghz which they are capable of from reviews, then the 680 still wins.

I admit I have not been through all the reviews (only about 8 or 9) but of the ones I have read the highest figure I saw was 1215MHz and more generally around 1560MHz.
So even if one of the reviews report 1300MHz, it seems the majority are around 1200MHz.

Back
Top Bottom