Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Ah, you're probably right then! ;) Worth doublechecking the instructions above - checked the api key etc?

Also check your home assistant log - it's pretty good at saying what the problem is (eg incorrect api key etc)

1669909523529.png

Getting this error - so clearly something is wrong.

2022-12-01 15:40:09.888 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Config entry '*****' for pvoutput integration not ready yet: PVOutput has no data available; Retrying in background

Is there a more step by step guide you can point me to?

Last edited:
Buy them yourself, and have it fitted by them. Or are they using some special voodoo magic panels?

Issue is mcs sign off as I've found out. It's a right scam, they insist on providing the kit with a mark up.

In a similar position but waiting on the inverter and battery... just weighing up alternatives

Not if you are buying the exact panels they have specc'd, it's not your fault if they have rubbish supply chain issues, and a poor purchasing dept.

Nope I've had the same discussion with 3 x mcs installers. Won't touch it despite outlining same kit/pannels are mcs certified. It's a an installers market at the moment unfortunately

Nope I've had the same discussion with 3 x mcs installers. Won't touch it despite outlining same kit/pannels are mcs certified. It's a an installers market at the moment unfortunately

This is why I didn't bother with MCS, and just used 'other' certification and have export payments still. Ofgem use MCS as guidance only, it is not a must have, and an SEG licensee has to allow 'other' methods of sign off.

Sometimes the extra cost of an MCS sign off will never be worth it, you could buy your own kit, have it installed by a roofer and electrician and end up spending less than you'd make back in export in many years. I went down that route as I wanted the stuff that I wanted, not a system sold to me as a solution. It's almost ironic that I am changing it all so soon, other than the panels ( although I could do still :p ).

Last edited:
This is why I didn't bother with MCS, and just used 'other' certification and have export payments still. Ofgem use MCS as guidance only, it is not a must have, and an SEG licensee has to allow 'other' methods of sign off.

Sometimes the extra cost of an MCS sign off will never be worth it, you could buy your own kit, have it installed by a roofer and electrician and end up spending less than you'd make back in export in many years. I went down that route as I wanted the stuff that I wanted, not a system sold to me as a solution. It's almost ironic that I am changing it all so soon, other than the panels ( although I could do still :p ).

Yeah I've been so tempted to go down this route. Getting a spark to install is the tricky bit.

I always thought mcs was mandatory to get seg payment? Maybe will read up on it.

Other stumbling block though is to be building regs except must also be installed by an mcs certified installer. I checked with my local planning depot as right on edge of a conservation area and my nosey neighbour is one to challenge!

Other stumbling block though is to be building regs except must also be installed by an mcs certified installer. I checked with my local planning depot as right on edge of a conservation area and my nosey neighbour is one to challenge!

Solar is a permitted development, and unless you are actually inside a conservation area there is naff all they can do to stop you installing it. Link

You do not need any qualifications or certification to install panels.

Applied to Scottish Power for SEG back at the start of June, finally got a reply from them today saying they needed more details, replied back telling them to not proceed, only lost out on a few quid as I'd used the majority of my generation during the summer anyway so didn't export much at all.

Moved over to Octopus yesterday and they are already showing smart meter data for my electric. Time to review what I can move to now with them to try and reduce the bill a bit as I've got 7 kWh of batteries now as well.

Back
Top Bottom