Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Solar is a permitted development, and unless you are actually inside a conservation area there is naff all they can do to stop you installing it. Link

You do not need any qualifications or certification to install panels.

Yeah I knew that just wanted to be on safe side just incase was a challenge.

What I was surprised about was they stipulated it needed to be an mcs installer for it to be exempt from building regulations i.e with a self install would need to get a building inspector around to sign off at cost

What I was surprised about was they stipulated it needed to be an mcs installer for it to be exempt from building regulations i.e with a self install would need to get a building inspector around to sign off at cost

Again they cannot stipulate MCS, as it is not a body but a charity with suggestions on guidelines, that is all. If you have this in writing from your local authority then I suggest challenging them to back it up with government legislation showing this requirement.
All you need is a competent roofer, that can follow the permitted development guidelines, if the roofer does this as a day job they'll have all the relevant paperwork to show this, solar is not something you need to show, especially as they wouldn't be connecting up any cables at all, just having the sparky do that part.

Anyhow enough on this subject, all I know is there is more misinformation out there than there is fact, and it is perpetuated by people who should know better but like the income too much.

I think there is some confusion here, if you do any electrics yourself, such as add a new circuit it needs to be inspected and signed off - some councils will do this, however if a solar installer or electrician did the job (presuming they are suitably qualified), then they could sign off the work and inform the council themsleves - its called Part P. Its never exempt, the council should always be informed, but as is signed off by a qualified individual it does not need to be inspected by the building inspector.

Last edited:
@Journey and @Ron-ski thanks for your input. Will give it a few more weeks before looking at going down self-sourced route.

It was confirmed in writing by the LA about the MCS element so sounds like they're making it up as they go along! Fingers crossed my installer comes good

Back
Top Bottom