Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

GreatStuff!!!!! it should stop this thread from being saturated with useless I got x amount of KWh today lol
Someone not got solar ;)
Heh, well if Ron-ski would just accept he's the loser, we'd all not need too .... ;)
No, never, as the figures speak for themselves :p

Now I'd best get outside and put some more rails on that garage roof.

To be fair, until you get solar, you don't get it.... ;)

Question for the 'beat Ron-ski lobby group' - I've got room for another eight panels on a West facing roof. We get a fair whack of sunshine across this roof from afternoons to evening - can anyone give me a sense of how much solar loss there is Vs South facing? Ie is it 50% less or 15%? I see some posts where people have East and West facing panels, so imagine they must work in some sense?

East & West about 80% of a South production @katie279 .
Oh right, that's not so bad really - especially as it'd give me more of the evening sun that I'd currently miss... Might wait for things to calm down price wise next year and get a quote.

Silly question, but would it make sense to have a steeper angle on a West facing panel set? (Ie as the sun would be lower)

Oh right, that's not so bad really - especially as it'd give me more of the evening sun that I'd currently miss...

Yep. I work from home so the early am and late pm is noticeable but not so apparent when you have batteries. My long term addition will be to add South panels and battery next, I just need to explore the limitation with the DNO and the local transformer export for that.

Yep. I work from home so the early am and late pm is noticeable but not so apparent when you have batteries. My long term addition will be to add South panels and battery next, I just need to explore the limitation with the DNO and the local transformer export for that.
Yeah, agree I see the same!

Re DNO - I've got no intention of giving anything back to the grid, so really don't care about the DNO side, I'll just keep set at 3.68kw and seek to charge up 124kwh of batteries, heat water etc with any excess!

Question for the 'beat Ron-ski lobby group' - I've got room for another eight panels on a West facing roof. We get a fair whack of sunshine across this roof from afternoons to evening
I've got a 6.7 meter rear south west facing wall, which is over our large decking, the thought keeps nagging away that I could put a solar canopy above this deck, no need for DNO permission, as it would be DC connected to the Victron system. it would need planning though.

I also think its possible to change the existing panels on the roof, so long as the FITS system was no more the 4kw, thus freeing up an entire roof.

There always options :D

PS I've finally shown up in the team, also have the API key for the works system so will add that later.

Best I get back to the garage roof, physical work is hard going when you have Covid though :( and its only 6c so I've wrapped up warm.

Seems strange that someone is against posting solar production on a solar thread……
What's the title of the thread again???? Is it "How big is yours"? "I'll show you mine if you show me yours?" OR is it

"Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?"​

I've got a 6.7 meter rear south west facing wall, which is over our large decking, the thought keeps nagging away that I could put a solar canopy above this deck, no need for DNO permission, as it would be DC connected to the Victron system. it would need planning though.

I also think its possible to change the existing panels on the roof, so long as the FITS system was no more the 4kw, thus freeing up an entire roof.

There always options :D

PS I've finally shown up in the team, also have the API key for the works system so will add that later.

Best I get back to the garage roof, physical work is hard going when you have Covid though :( and its only 6c so I've wrapped up warm.
Good tips as always - yes, we'll be past your work soon at this rate!

Out of interest, why would it need planning for a solar canopy Vs an normal roof etc?

Keep chin up, it'll all be worth it when you finish and you're able to produce almost as much as me...... ;)

Would take it steady @Ron-ski keep well.
Thanks, Mrs Ronski has a new set of Christmas lights to go around the house, but there is no way I'm doing that at the moment, single story flat roof is one thing, stretching at the top of a double extension ladder is currently not safe.
Out of interest, why would it need planning for a solar canopy Vs an normal roof etc?

Normal roof is covered by permitted development, adding a canopy/veranda would be outside permitted development as we already have a large extension, at least thats what I understand.

Thanks, Mrs Ronski has a new set of Christmas lights to go around the house, but there is no way I'm doing that at the moment, single story flat roof is one thing, stretching at the top of a double extension ladder is currently not safe.

Normal roof is covered by permitted development, adding a canopy/veranda would be outside permitted development as we already have a large extension, at least thats what I understand.

Ah right, gotcha - another plot I've got is to build a large 8.5m X 4.5m timber cabin in another spot of the garden for use as a craft room, then slap a pile of panels on that, so imagine that would be in the same place as needing some sort of notification/planning.

Back
Top Bottom