Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Last edited:
Ah still need to sort my HA out! Will have to wait hten!

it's not too hard, I sat there last night and did it all, I've never looked at it before yesterday :)

I ran mine in a docker on my Synology NAS rather than an RPI, it's always on anyways.

You need to install HACS first, then the custom integration for that Givenergy github above.

Last edited:
it's not too hard, I sat there last night and did it all, I've never looked at it before yesterday :)

I ran mine in a docker on my Synology NAS rather than an RPI, it's always on anyways.

You need to install HACS first, then the custom integration for that Givenergy github above.
Mwahahaha! All you luddites are gradually being converted to my Home Assistant-enabled world...!

Resistance is futile, SoliD!

I should really be on commission though.... :cry:

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Octopus Energy are phoning me tomorrow about their solar offering. I haven't had a chance to research if other people have found them to be competitive.

£13822 inc VAT / 5kW inverter / 9.5kWh battery / 12 panels
£15923 inc VAT / 5kW inverter / 9.5kWh battery / 20 panels

All subject to survey.

Last edited:
Mwahahaha! All you luddites are gradually being converted to my Home Assistant-enabled world...!

Resistance is futile, SoliD!

I should really be on commission though.... :cry:

:D

You doing anything else interesting with it for Givenergy? I would eventually like to see if I can scale the charge % based on solcast data with some margin of error baked in automatically.

I'd also like to have a working 2nd charge window for late afternoon/early evening to take advantage of the saving sessions on days when I will run out of battery anyway.

@Peteronthesouthcoast Nice write up, what I'd really like to know is your November total production, I can then enter you on the OC UK solar performance chart - I think you'll go straight to the top. Glad to see you are also comparing by kw of installed panels ;)

Also if you're not on PV Output would you consider joining our newly created team please?

PS. I'm adding more panels, using 12 JA Solar 395 half cell panels, which will compliment my 4kw SolarEdge system installed in 2015
Below are the figures for October and November (Year 12 for me)
I am on PV Output as "Give me Sunshine" from the closing song of Eric and Ernie. I was unable to alter my installation data (probably my fault) which go back to when I joined, so I just update my profile with the data from our original panels

2022/2023OutputTarget% of targetActual ReadingMeter ReadingPlus/Minus KW
Year 12for targetfor targetHy EastHy South
October
342.8​
299​
114.65​
48317​
48273​
43.80​
275.7​
419.1​
1037.6​
November
200.7​
179​
112.12​
48517​
48452​
65.50​
124.6​
247.1​
572.4​

To be fair, until you get solar, you don't get it.... ;)

Question for the 'beat Ron-ski lobby group' - I've got room for another eight panels on a West facing roof. We get a fair whack of sunshine across this roof from afternoons to evening - can anyone give me a sense of how much solar loss there is Vs South facing? Ie is it 50% less or 15%? I see some posts where people have East and West facing panels, so imagine they must work in some sense?
An earlier Post helps but this is the info from us in the PO9 area

Over the first year of installation our East facing panels produced 888kw per installed kw. Our new panels on the south were 1061kw per installed kw and for comparison our original panels produced 1105kw per installed kw. It has been a good solar year. Our original panels totalled 4415kw for this period.

We do have shading issues onthe east and to the south where our newest panels were installed in September 2021

:D

You doing anything else interesting with it for Givenergy? I would eventually like to see if I can scale the charge % based on solcast data with some margin of error baked in automatically.

I'd also like to have a working 2nd charge window for late afternoon/early evening to take advantage of the saving sessions on days when I will run out of battery anyway.
Mainly been tinkering on building a custom forecast for better charging calcs and solar prediction - gathering data primarily on this, but plan to mess around over xmas break.

Other than that, just loads of data visualisation.

Oh and it buzzes my phone if we start exporting more than 100w - so I can turn on washing machines, do Freefaller's dishes etc!

An earlier Post helps but this is the info from us in the PO9 area

Over the first year of installation our East facing panels produced 888kw per installed kw. Our new panels on the south were 1061kw per installed kw and for comparison our original panels produced 1105kw per installed kw. It has been a good solar year. Our original panels totalled 4415kw for this period.

We do have shading issues onthe east and to the south where our newest panels were installed in September 2021
Ah really useful - need to get other half to measure up at weekend - think there's space for at least another 8 panels in Feb.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom