Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Yesterday was much better for us, not so good today. One thing I've realised today, is that 2022 has been our best solar year so far, previous yearly high was 4.509MWh in 2020, currently at 4.579MWh and still 20 solar days to go.
Interesting - I am starting to have slightly selfish conflicting desires for global warming with solar...... :D

FoolishHideousDungbeetle-size_restricted.gif

PRaying for a dead inverter right now :D
One of my inverters is charging and discharging ok, but not getting any PV generation - hopefully just a DC connection fault but now wondering if it could be a board in the Gen1 inverter.

Yesterday was the 1st day my PW didn't get it right. Only charged to 70% over night and I was empty by 20:00. Gutted. Just looked and it's done the same again today. Looks like I might be in for a few painful days while it adjusts. Fortunately we're all out of the house today vs. yesterday.

Yesterday was the 1st day my PW didn't get it right. Only charged to 70% over night and I was empty by 20:00. Gutted. Just looked and it's done the same again today. Looks like I might be in for a few painful days while it adjusts. Fortunately we're all out of the house today vs. yesterday.
Yeah, know the feeling - I've become an amateur expert in predicting the charge amount. I actually got a weather station to drop in the garden and integrates with Home Assistant.

I'm playing around testing still my predictions but they're some distance ahead of Solcast etc at the moment, so I increasingly override it - it may be I just replacing it in due course.

Particularly measuring cloudiness/rain is a bit wild on the national forecasters....

Agile outgoing is getting pretty exciting later, £1.76 per unit 16:30-17:00 and then £1.37 and £1.45 for the next two half hour periods! Then a saving session from 17:00-19:00. Looks like I'll be charging the battery from the grid today (even though it's full price, but panels are still covered in snow, so virtually no generation) and discharging at full whack from 16:30 onward, should then be doubling up on both the saving session and the export prices!

Still waiting for Octopus to sort out my Economy 7 rate, they e-mailed to say it was done but looks like they've just moved me from my old supplier tariff (they went bust and Octopus took over) to the standard Octopus tariff (same price).

She lives again!

My installer came back with a message from the manufacturer (when I spoke to someone in the office she said loads were logging the same thing) to say this is normal behaviour in prolonged cold periods

The sun came out this afternoon and suddenly the battery started working. Obviously when working they also generate some heat.

I'm going to have to get on with insulating. Was going to leave it to spring but think I will have to get on with it before then.
Question is firstly how much insulation and what sort to go with.
Was thinking solid plus some felt type stuff to jam in the gaps.

Need to work out a way to get some convection current for the summer, although maybe just taking out the insulation will be good enough for then.
Problem is I cant make it that chunky as it will eat into my side passage space and I need to get the wheelie bins down there. Can probably afford to gain 5cm, so thinking maybe 25mm pir with some T&G I already have over the top. With a small gap at the bottom and the top have an angled "roof" with a gap underneath

I've got 32 octopoints from the 4 sessions since they started recording it. Unfortunately I have a history of using 0 most of the time so I can't gain.

Indeed a bit of an outlier it seems and Octopus are offering me £2.32 per kW I save from 17:30-19:30 tonight.

Nice high battery, so I'll be using zero!

And so you should be paid, you've spent a small fortune to improve the energy you consume, and no doubt during the spring/summer you'll be getting paid a pittance for thousands of kWh going back to the grid and consumed by people paying 34p+ per kWh

And so you should be paid, you've spent a small fortune to improve the energy you consume, and no doubt during the spring/summer you'll be getting paid a pittance for thousands of kWh going back to the grid and consumed by people paying 34p+ per kWh
They will be paying 40p/kwh after april first when the unit cap is raised again

Yeah, know the feeling - I've become an amateur expert in predicting the charge amount. I actually got a weather station to drop in the garden and integrates with Home Assistant.

I'm playing around testing still my predictions but they're some distance ahead of Solcast etc at the moment, so I increasingly override it - it may be I just replacing it in due course.

Particularly measuring cloudiness/rain is a bit wild on the national forecasters....
Which weather station did you get?

You know I've told you to stop sneaking into my garden..... ! :p

It was an Ecowitt WS2910 - and got some soil sensors also so I can automate the watering in the orangery/greenhouse come spring through Home Assistant and I can stop killing plants as I forget!
Thanks! What are the soil sensors too please :)

Back
Top Bottom