Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Yes, it sets the maximum wattage it will discharge from the battery, so doesn't seem like it should have an effect on charging, and as mentioned, setting it to 0 when the battery isn't low doesn't seem to affect charging.

Yes, it sets the maximum wattage it will discharge from the battery, so doesn't seem like it should have an effect on charging, and as mentioned, setting it to 0 when the battery isn't low doesn't seem to affect charging.

Ah ok, dont think I can control that with mine.

Could be a software bug I guess, maybe worth logging with GE

4.97kwh today
and highest peak figure yet at 2.266kw

I think my top string is now almost clear of the blocking from neighbours roof, or at least for less time, hopefully a week or so should see bottom string catchup with top again, wasnt any noticeable difference previously

Wasnt that sunny today, some brief spells so slightly surprised at todays result

Disappointing news from installer on batteries. Manufacturer says this is normal, below 15 and above 35 the batteries will charge less to give more leway.
Need to get that woolly coat insulated box built this weekend

Does anyone have any recommendations for firms doing solar roof installs in the east Midlands? Our house is due a new roof and I figure it's wise getting one of them in built in type installs when we re-roof.

I'm not sure how mature the tech is or whether it's wise but they do PV tiles now which if you're redoing your roof *may* be worth looking at.

Though I don't think they're as efficient as normal PV. Some people swear by them though.

Last edited:
I don't think PV tiles are ready or affordable, only people I saw doing them were Tesla and it was a trial or two in the US I think.

Will be way more complicated with each tile being it's own mini panel.

If re-doing the roof then yeah I'd agree, a good time to add built in panels. They will lose a bit of efficiency due to running hotter, but they will look a lot neater long term, and best of all, less tiles needed :)

I don't think PV tiles are ready or affordable, only people I saw doing them were Tesla and it was a trial or two in the US I think.

Will be way more complicated with each tile being it's own mini panel.

If re-doing the roof then yeah I'd agree, a good time to add built in panels. They will lose a bit of efficiency due to running hotter, but they will look a lot neater long term, and best of all, less tiles needed :)
I guess it was trying to drive down unit cost? It could be a pretty ubiquitous solution as theoretically most folk have roof tiles...

I guess it was trying to drive down unit cost? It could be a pretty ubiquitous solution as theoretically most folk have roof tiles...

In theory roof tiles that are also PV would be a great way of adding solar without the slightly ugly panels that go with installations, but in practice I think there are certain headaches this will introduce, and the biggest one that comes to mind is multiple points of failure.

Thanks for replies. I've seen solar tiles like the Tesla ones but feel that even if available, I can't help think theres more likely increased costs and maintenance with that kinda thing.

Great on a grand designs house but I think with just a semi and one south facing side I'm likely best with the large flush panel type.

Our neighbour spent 8-9k doing her roof with traditional tiles. If I'm spending that money I'd pay 10-12k to get a solar option (guessed figure)

Last edited:
In the meantime, we that came late to the party still struggle.
I am getting crazy quotes.
10 panels, 2 x 5 kwh batteries, 13k
10 panels, 3.6 inverter, 9.5 battery, 15k
17 panels, 2x Growatt inverter, 2x5kwh batteries, 17K + 800 for bird mesh
18 Hyundai panels, solaredge inverter 5kw, solaredge battery 10kwh, bargain price of 25k.

Maybe I should just buy the panels and superglue them to the roof myself. They ll be fine.

Thanks for replies. I've seen solar tiles like the Tesla ones but feel that even if available, I can't help think theres more likely increased costs and maintenance with that kinda thing.

Great on a grand designs house but I think with just a semi and one south facing side I'm likely best with the large flush panel type.

Our neighbour spent 8-9k doing her roof with traditional tiles. If I'm spending that money I'd pay 10-12k to get a solar option (guessed figure)

There is a British company that will make solar tiles out of standard concrete tiles.

Basically it’s a standard roof tile with a hole drilled in it and a solar cell mounted on top.

Last edited:
There is a British company that will make solar tiles out of standard concrete tiles.

Basically it’s a standard roof tile with a hole drilled in it and a solar cell mounted on top.
Interesting video.

I'm going to have to do some shopping around when the time comes. The trouble with these new technologies is the majority of established roofers will take a while to catch up.

Looks good. More like what I'd expect a solar tile should be like (big, interconnecting panels).

However, they also look like one hell of a risk. The way they connect together, there's zero tolerance for the roof structure being anything but perfectly straight. And removing a faulty panel / connection would be near on impossible without taking the whole lot off again.

I expect more aimed at new-builds than older homes.

Interesting video.

I'm going to have to do some shopping around when the time comes. The trouble with these new technologies is the majority of established roofers will take a while to catch up.

That video is in Youtube in the article and there are some comments in there, but it sounded like it was £30 per tile, and the roof they were putting on was like £27K or something!

in roof regular solar panels would definitely be cheaper, but I think your idea of £10-£12K might be optimistic.

Ideally to my mind solar tiles would be largeish panels made to look like individual tiles, but maybe a bit smaller than solar panels as they are now. Maybe in clusters, so 4x mini panels to make one cluster panel that the string would see. Would mean far more actual roofspace would be useable for many, could have L shapes etc using combinations of 4 always.
With wiring thats internal, ie can be accessed from the loft. That way a duff cluster panel could be easily "wired around" and just sit there as dumb.
Panel failure is pretty darn low from all I read, its normally inverters that go up in smoke, almost literally, but panels can go.

I guess ideally the whole roof would be in effect one panel so sharing the positive across all the panels, with a negative from the whole roof. No need for any complicated wiring that way.
Wattage or amps would potentially go quite high that way I guess. Would have to be some limitation, else fire risk would go up significantly.

I am sure the whole thing will improve eventually.
I am convinced solar should be on all houses, its really well suited to that environment. I would probably stop solar commercial fields though and get them more focussed on grid storage, wind etc

Back
Top Bottom