Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Does anyone have any recommendations for firms doing solar roof installs in the east Midlands? Our house is due a new roof and I figure it's wise getting one of them in built in type installs when we re-roof.

Can't recommend an installer, but you want to be looking at a GSE in-roof tray system as they have new trays that came out in 2022 compatible with nearly every panel size on the market, meaning you aren't stuck with very specific vendors. The trays are only about £40 each, and as such considerably cheaper than most tiles per square meter. They also have a new range of flashing and fittings, which make a totally black/grey roof look a lot better than what was previously on offer.

I'd look for a roofer that is able to also fit the trays/panels for you in conjunction with a PV installer who will do the electrics and setup for you, this should work out cheaper, and you'll still get the sign-off for export if co-ordinated correctly.

For installers all you can do is shop around, get some quotes locally to where you are and get a feel for the local market.

isn't there a heat issue with in roof trays that limits/reduces the output from the panels?

We were holding out for solar pan tiles for ages as knew we'd need to redo the roof at some point in the next 10 years but gave up and had it re-done with standard tiles a few years back. Despite Musk's usual overly bullish outlook the pan tile version never materialised and it doesn't sound like the slate is actually that good either. Surely a whole roof 'panel' would have serious shading issues, unless you zoned it with optimisers?

Last edited:
isn't there a heat issue with in roof trays that limits/reduces the output from the panels?
Yes, and it could void the panel warranty. Most panel manufacturers specify a minimum air gap, otherwise the panels could run hot which will reduce the generation and I guess potentially damage the panel. So in roof systems need careful panel choice.

Yes, and it could void the panel warranty. Most panel manufacturers specify a minimum air gap, otherwise the panels could run hot which will reduce the generation and I guess potentially damage the panel. So in roof systems need careful panel choice.

If you are doing them properly then you have a huge air gap underneath a you have battens to raise the up on counter-battens, and then there is a portion of the tray that is slightly raised as well which means the panel isn't surrounded with out the ability to cool down. They have improved a good deal in the last few years, and the slight efficiency loss (if any now) is probably offset against the huge cost saving of installing a new roof and then panels on top.

The other major benefit is less roof loading, and you don't add something that is a slight risk in windy conditions, as the panels can catch the wind and add extra stress to the roof otherwise.

if I was doing a new roof I'd want in roof panels I think even if they do lose a little efficiency in the hottest weather.

Thanks for replies. I've seen solar tiles like the Tesla ones but feel that even if available, I can't help think theres more likely increased costs and maintenance with that kinda thing.

Great on a grand designs house but I think with just a semi and one south facing side I'm likely best with the large flush panel type.

Our neighbour spent 8-9k doing her roof with traditional tiles. If I'm spending that money I'd pay 10-12k to get a solar option (guessed figure)

You're right - it was just a thought.

Panels are getting better and better all the time. Panels from 10 years ago could only produce 50% of the energy panels can produce now. They're still not THAT efficient unfortunately, which is why I personally would recommend fitting as many as you can sensibly add (as long as the roof gets sunshine).

In the meantime, we that came late to the party still struggle.
I am getting crazy quotes.
10 panels, 2 x 5 kwh batteries, 13k
10 panels, 3.6 inverter, 9.5 battery, 15k
17 panels, 2x Growatt inverter, 2x5kwh batteries, 17K + 800 for bird mesh
18 Hyundai panels, solaredge inverter 5kw, solaredge battery 10kwh, bargain price of 25k.

Maybe I should just buy the panels and superglue them to the roof myself. They ll be fine.

If I were to be spending money again I'd want as many panels as possible (which is what I did - 16 panels) and add another battery (only have a 9.5k one). but anything north of 15k is quite painful for what you've shared there :( 10-12k was the sweet spot, I think now 15k is as "fair" as you can get unless you're willing to do a lot of the work yourself.

Last edited:
After some additional looking around I've just signed off on a system based around GivEnergy equipment - 10x 425w Panels, GivEnergy 3.6kW Hybrid Inverter and GivEnergy 9.5kWh LiFePO4 Battery.

I will be moving over to Octopus for my Electric and Gas to take advantage of Agile. My question is when is the best time to initiate a switch to them, it's realistically going to be around 12-15 weeks before my installation will take place.

After some additional looking around I've just signed off on a system based around GivEnergy equipment - 10x 425w Panels, GivEnergy 3.6kW Hybrid Inverter and GivEnergy 9.5kWh LiFePO4 Battery.

I will be moving over to Octopus for my Electric and Gas to take advantage of Agile. My question is when is the best time to initiate a switch to them, it's realistically going to be around 12-15 weeks before my installation will take place.
took 3 days for me

Back
Top Bottom