Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

11464 points for 24/01. £14.33 worth.

I used Peak consumption 6.59 kWh (£2.50) on that day. This is by far the most I've used on any saving session yet.

£11.83 profit.

Edit - I find this concept incredibly broken and very open to abuse, but yet I will still take some advantage of it, but only if I'm actually using the power for something productive that I would otherwise do.

This is taking advantage of a silly algorithm, but on the flip side grid takes advantage of us by paying nothing for generation.

Last edited:
They had to admit defeat for today because he wasn’t quite happy with how lined up the array was, so another hour or two tomorrow morning to get the last panels on and make sure it’s all as neat as possible.

I’ll be sure to dock a day’s solar from the bill lol.

Very impressed with these guys though, hard workers and a lot of pride in their work.

Took this a bit earlier - I think last I looked they had 15 panels up before calling it quits… think it’ll actually look pretty neat once the rails are trimmed and capped.

66HjnJe.jpg

They had to admit defeat for today because he wasn’t quite happy with how lined up the array was, so another hour or two tomorrow morning to get the last panels on and make sure it’s all as neat as possible.

I’ll be sure to dock a day’s solar from the bill lol.

Very impressed with these guys though, hard workers and a lot of pride in their work.

Took this a bit earlier - I think last I looked they had 15 panels up before calling it quits… think it’ll actually look pretty neat once the rails are trimmed and capped.

66HjnJe.jpg
How many panels you having fitted???

Yup, roof line starts clear but as the day progresses (probably about 1pm or so) their roof starts to cast a shadow that moves along my roof. At this time of year it looks like for the majority of the day the top line of panels will be clear… during the summer it’s all clear.

Not sure what time of year the roof becomes completely unshaded where the panels are, but I’m going to guess around May.

We’ve put Tigo optimisers in for all except the top right 4 panels as they will always be the last to lose the direct light, and the installer didn’t think they would provide value for money at that point. He also didn’t seem to think it was a particularly big deal as winter production is so low anyway… and I can load shift using the battery packs.

What will be interesting is how true Q.Cell’s claims are regarding these G11 panels:

“Innovative all-weather technology

• Optimal yields, whatever the weather with excellent low-light and temperature behaviour”

Last edited:
gaming - need a hobby like baking, or crypto mining for the excess energy - but the 64K question how many months did winning bring forward rig break-even point

I used Peak consumption 6.59 kWh (£2.50) on that day. This is by far the most I've used on any saving session yet.

£11.83 profit.

Edit - I find this concept incredibly broken and very open to abuse, but yet I will still take some advantage of it, but only if I'm actually using the power for something productive that I would otherwise do.

This is taking advantage of a silly algorithm, but on the flip side grid takes advantage of us by paying nothing for generation.
Can you advise how to game the saving sessions? Do you need Solar and Batteries or be with a specific supplier tariff?

£11.83 profit.

But they are paying for production if you go on the right tariff...... 15p/kwh wit octopus .

This algorithm just allows people to game the system, use power they wouldn't normally use and make money. As seen in this thread alone.

Can you advise how to game the saving sessions? Do you need Solar and Batteries or be with a specific supplier tariff?

Example 1.
You need to run your tumble drier. Saving session is 10-11am. Dont use it in that period. You'll get a reward. You then run your tumble drier at 11:01 and it will cost you ££

Example 2.
As above but run your tumble drier in the window 6-9am. Usage in that 3 hour window influences the calculation for your saving session.

This is how the system is gamed.

Now in example 2 if you also need to run your dishwasher, charge your EV, do the washing, heat your hot water, charge your battery. All stuff you'd be normally doing during the day....just do it in the 3 hour window to "game".

Back
Top Bottom