Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Octopus gave me a call earlier to provide a quote on solar installation. 5 panels with battery prices.
2.6kWh £8800
5.2kWh £9500
9.5kWh £11700

South West facing roof and London location so good levels of Sun through the year. I’m using about 12 kW a day. Any idea what the payback is?

£12.7K for 9.5kWh battery with 18 panels just quoted in the last page or two:

That is an extra £1K for another 13 panels, which makes that price from Octopus look non-competitive.

5 panels is a very low number to install though, at 400W you'd only have a 2kW system. Can't add more?

Octopus gave me a call earlier to provide a quote on solar installation. 5 panels with battery prices.
2.6kWh £8800
5.2kWh £9500
9.5kWh £11700

South West facing roof and London location so good levels of Sun through the year. I’m using about 12 kW a day. Any idea what the payback is?
Definitely not worth it for 5 panels.

Mine do it as well when very low. My SOC minimum is 10%, but when sitting at 10% for hours when its cold they will suddenly drop as low as 5%. At 5% they trickle charge back to 10%.

I think its just the chemistry. They maybe have say 10% at 15 degrees but when they drop to say 10 degrees they lose the ability to provide the same power.
From what i can tell the management systems work off current and as such extrapolate charge level rather than it being an exact thing.
and then jumped from 79% to 100% just now, so have whacked on the pyrolytic oven to burn some electrons rather than exporting!

£12.7K for 9.5kWh battery with 18 panels just quoted in the last page or two:

That is an extra £1K for another 13 panels, which makes that price from Octopus look non-competitive.

5 panels is a very low number to install though, at 400W you'd only have a 2kW system. Can't add more?
I think I could squeeze up to 8, the panels are 1.7x1.1m. What would you expect the price for this to be? Assuming the largest battery? I’ll likely top it up on the overnight cheap rates.

Definitely not worth it for 5 panels.
My concern also. Payback is going to be 10 years I guess which is very long.

I think I could squeeze up to 8, the panels are 1.7x1.1m. What would you expect the price for this to be? Assuming the largest battery? I’ll likely top it up on the overnight cheap rates.

My concern also. Payback is going to be 10 years I guess which is very long.

Bigger battery pairs better with more panels of course.

If you're going to the effort of getting onto the roof to add panels, I would reasonably add as many as you can, up to 4kWp you get the best value imo, for most home users.

Beyond that the extra panels help heavy users more, winter generation, or those looking to export excess they can't use for some kind of payback

If 8 panels goes, I would get quotes along those lines. Can always go back to Octopus and use the quote I showed, say a friend got that, can they improve on it?

Is there a way to Heath Robinson my own solar setup? I have an easy to access, south facing 'shed' with a 13 x 2m roof. I know I'll need to get structural surveying done on the structure, but assuming it is a go-er -> do I need to pay the crazy prices for fitting that the local firms seem to be charging?

It depends really.

There are limits and most people self installing will go beyond them, but if your happy with that then proceed with caution.

Firstly its DC and not nice potentially in current so ensure you understand that.

If your going off grid then its pretty easy to get round the limitations.
If on grid then technically you shouldn't perform those electrical works since your adding an outside circuit.
Again thats pretty overkill but its to stop idiots killing themselves or the next person to take on their house.
You should notify the council since you cannot self certify and also you need to inform the local grid DNO.

Nothing seems particularly complicated if your electrically minded and you can certainly piggy back off other peoples schematics etc.

Lastly there is the house insurance angle. As its on an outbuilding I wouldn't worry, but I have a suspicion at some point they are going to start to want to price the risks fairly.
Risk of flying debris should something fail (public liability), risk of fire from short circuit for example. There is no specific reason they should be any higher from a competent DIY install, but a dodgy DIY install introduces lots of potential risks for them, and you potentially.

Has anyone seen Givenergy has a new battery coming? All in one 13.5k/w which for us is the perfect size. Hopefully out in the next month or so. Full UPS built within too.

I’m looking at combining it with a circa 6kw solar set up.

Has anyone seen Givenergy has a new battery coming? All in one 13.5k/w which for us is the perfect size. Hopefully out in the next month or so. Full UPS built within too.

So out in 2 years...

Flux looks interesting as others have said if you've got a big storage could make some good money, but reckon agile is probably just as good if you can dump to grid at certain times.

Last edited:

Its basically a Tesla power wall competitor. From what I understand it is AC coupled so you'll need a separate inverter for your solar.

Back
Top Bottom