Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

My gut feeling is that in winter 3 hours isn't long enough, really need minimum of 4 like on Go for the battery charge.

3 hours = 24kWh for me :D

One thing thats a little concerning is "A solar system with a maximum generation of 9 kWp (kilowatt peak)", no my solar will be 8740kw, but My Victron can generate 8Kw and the SolarEdge system 3.6Kw, which is 11.6Kw, so depending on which figure they take, and I suspect the latter as they are asking for a copy of the G98/99 certificate, it looks like I wouldn't be accepted :( Even if I did have a working smart meter.

3 hours = 24kWh for me :D

One thing thats a little concerning is "A solar system with a maximum generation of 9 kWp (kilowatt peak)", no my solar will be 8740kw, but My Victron can generate 8Kw and the SolarEdge system 3.6Kw, which is 11.6Kw, so depending on which figure they take, and I suspect the latter as they are asking for a copy of the G98/99 certificate, it looks like I wouldn't be accepted :( Even if I did have a working smart meter.

Surely if your panels aren't larger though a human can override that call?

Not as if you can actually send more than your panels can make.

You could always apply with current G98/G99 as well?

Oh that looks spot on!

I don't have an ev and will never own one. So won't be going on Go anyway. I think this could be the perfect compromise.

3hrs is a little short but it's still cheaper to top up your batteries than relying on normal tariff.

Last edited:
@HungryHippos Yes, I could accidentally send in the wrong paper work, good idea ;)

Well your new system isn't live yet eh?

Also, not like you will be likely to be exporting that much. I think it's to stop businesses or huge farms taking advantage of it.

Even in the height of summer you'll still have like house load, batteries to fill etc. Exporting at greater than 9.5kW seems unlikely.

Very unlikely, especially in the peak rate period, even on June 20 last year the SolarEdge system was generating only 2kw at 16:00 (perfect sunny day)

Just sent Octopus another email, this time requesting they just replace the meters as its clear they can't get them fixed (19 weeks and counting!), I can't do anything smart until I have working smart meters!

Very unlikely, especially in the peak rate period, even on June 20 last year the SolarEdge system was generating only 2kw at 16:00 (perfect sunny day)

Just sent Octopus another email, this time requesting they just replace the meters as its clear they can't get them fixed (19 weeks and counting!), I can't do anything smart until I have working smart meters!
With my 170w base load, i would be exporting with 2kwh generation at 4pm lol

The only point in exporting at peak though for most would be that you have excess to get to next 22p charging window.
If you have a pure west array 4pm should be pretty strong still in the peak months, but its not going to be that great for most people for most of the year. I mean in regards directly exporting generated solar in the 4-7 window. May to July realistically?

Its certainly different.

My gut feel before I play with some numbers is that you will likely make $$$ in the summer but its going to be hard to get close to go levels in winter (for those on go)
The question for winter, say Nov-Jan would be maybe agile or some other eco 7 tariff.
Agile is generally nice but you may need to mess with the charge time daily.
So eco 7 maybe for less hastle.

The other thing is it kind of makes my diverter redundant since 22p day units would mean daft to divert energy to hot water when I could be exporting.

Its deffo a consideration. Adding sort out SEG paperwork to my to do list ;)

The only point in exporting at peak though for most would be that you have excess to get to next 22p charging window.
If you have a pure west array 4pm should be pretty strong still in the peak months, but its not going to be that great for most people for most of the year. I mean in regards directly exporting generated solar in the 4-7 window. May to July realistically?

Its certainly different.

My gut feel before I play with some numbers is that you will likely make $$$ in the summer but its going to be hard to get close to go levels in winter (for those on go)
The question for winter, say Nov-Jan would be maybe agile or some other eco 7 tariff.

The other thing is it kind of makes my diverter redundant since 22p day units would mean daft to divert energy to hot water when I could be exporting.

But can you switch in winter to a different tariff???

But can you switch in winter to a different tariff???

Yes you can.
I mean ideally that would be go, its still a complete no brainer good for anyone with batteries in the winter.
Current pricing is 12p off peak for charging and 44p day for when you run out.
Some of the octopus tariffs have some limitations on rejoining but they are generally a month iirc so wouldn't be an issue to leave Flex late Nov and rejoin say end of Jan.

My suspicion is go is going. They want Ev drivers on intelligent really to spread the load and charge windows to cheapest incoming, its variable so needs the right car or charger.
they now have this scheme which suits solar people so maybe filter go down for a couple of years and then withdraw it. Or at least restrict it for new entrants to Ev owners with incompatible cars and charge points.

Flex isn't a disaster in winter but its no where near as good as go.
Plenty of people wont be able to fully charge batteries in that 3 hour window.

Yes you can.
I mean ideally that would be go, its still a complete no brainer good for anyone with batteries in the winter.
Current pricing is 12p off peak for charging and 44p day for when you run out.
Some of the octopus tariffs have some limitations on rejoining but they are generally a month iirc so wouldn't be an issue to leave Flex late Nov and rejoin say end of Jan.

My suspicion is go is going. They want Ev drivers on intelligent really to spread the load and charge windows to cheapest incoming, its variable so needs the right car or charger.
they now have this scheme which suits solar people so maybe filter go down for a couple of years and then withdraw it. Or at least restrict it for new entrants to Ev owners with incompatible cars and charge points.

Flex isn't a disaster in winter but its no where near as good as go.
Plenty of people wont be able to fully charge batteries in that 3 hour window.
Yup agree…..looks good for me though, but right now im on export fixed contract until november @15p.

Its certainly different.

I don't have an eco 7 tariff but I think for me and my usage and my set up it's still going to be the right direction for me. Of course I'll have to wait to see how things go in the summer.

Based on my winter numbers it's seems at first glance to be advantageous.

Summer though I think it's where it's going to be quite good. I'll be fully charged by midday-ish if it's a bright day I reckon?

I think averaged over a year it's likely to suit my usage. But I'll do some more sums later.

For anyone interested, you can't join things like that new Octopus Flux tariff or get SEG payments without an MCS certificate.

Food for thought when it comes to self-installed systems, I think you can get an electrician to sign off your work but may not be the easiest thing to book if they're on other jobs.

Back
Top Bottom