Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Just checking with you knowledgeable lot before I pull the trigger.

I’m planning 10 panels on the garage and 4 on the outdoor bar. Panels will be 400W mono. Inverter will be a 6kw solis, with 3 x 5kw pylon batteries in a rack in the garage. Going to put in a smart car charger for the excess.

Bar is south facing, garage is south west.

At the moment I’m looking at circa 8k for the lot fitting it myself and using a solar install to finish wiring it in and certify it.

Just dipping my toes at the moment. I think cost vs kit is really strong. That said…looking towards the future I’m tempted to fill the house roof albeit that will need a serious scaffold set up which will add to cost significantly.

Should have 5.6kw of panels and 12kw of useable storage for 8k. Am I missing anything?

Last edited:

I’m planning 10 panels on the garage and 4 on the outdoor bar. Panels will be 400W mono. Inverter will be a 6kw solis, with 3 x 5kw pylon batteries in a rack in the garage. Going to put in a smart car charger for the excess.

At the moment I’m looking at circa 8k for the lot fitting it myself and using a solar install to finish wiring it in and certify it.

Just dipping my toes at the moment. I think cost vs kit is really strong. That said…looking towards the future I’m tempted to fill the house roof albeit that will need a serious scaffold set up which will add to cost significantly.

Should have 5.6kw of panels and 12kw of useable storage for 8k. Am I missing anything?

Sounds good price and sensible.
Don't forget the bird netting.

Lovely looking house btw

Id be changing that conservatory roof to a tiled roof and piling panels on there…..can use conservatory all year round than as it would be warmer in winter and not so hot in summer.

Good job I've not got an annuity, I think most realise they are pretty poor deal these days, when I say pension its a portfolio of funds, a SIPP.
I thought this, but it all depends when you take it - I looked at my pension fund recently and the annuity was a much better annual return now interest rates are climbing.
However, it all depends on if you want some security for family as well, and we know annuities are certainly nowhere near what a drawdown can provide once you're gone.
Prior to all this and the expected returns of a drawdown seems to have all flipped with the annuity.
I'm not near retirement yet, but I'm not looking forward to making that decision or whether I split the pots for some guaranteed security.

Last edited:
We have Solis hybrid inverter and 20kw of fox batteries..works a charm.

Would highly recommend it..kicking myself we hadn't done it sooner.

Although I have a few spare panels I now need to put to good use somehow...

Id be changing that conservatory roof to a tiled roof and piling panels on there…..can use conservatory all year round than as it would be warmer in winter and not so hot in summer.

It’s not too bad as we have a 5kw ac machine in there with two big rads which keeps it pleasant. However, my plan eventually is to replace the entire front with glass sliding doors and an insulated roof with two lanterns. The heat loss is pretty evident during the winter with the glass roof ‍♂️

Last edited:
It’s not too bad as we have a 5kw ac machine in there with two big rads which keeps it pleasant. However, my plan eventually is to replace the entire front with glass sliding doors and an insulated roof with two lanterns. The heat loss is pretty evident during the winter with the glass roof ‍♂️
I had this company install insulation in ours and I've also got 3.5kW air source heat pump in there(you can fit them yourself if you just put a plug on it) - much cheaper than changing the whole roof.

Yes, more panels :D There's always these instead of Pylon batteries. They come with an 8 year UK warranty.
crikey those prices look fantastic and have got me tempted........................... sorry for ignorant comment but..

could i buy one of those 5kwh units and hook it up to my existing system (5kw solis hybrid inverter which currently has 3x2.4kwh pylon batteries? or cant you mix and match?

it bodes well for the future either way... if my battery everntually dies, even if i dont have a vehicle to home option by then, 15kwh of storage for £4k is a good deal.

could i buy one of those 5kwh units and hook it up to my existing system (5kw solis hybrid inverter which currently has 3x2.4kwh pylon batteries? or cant you mix and match?

It's not ignorant, the simple answer is no you can't.

Long answer, you can connect them to the Solis, but not with Pylon batteries. Pylon batteries use 15 cells, instead of 16, so they run at a slightly lower voltage. Also, unless you really know what you're doing you shouldn't mix different manufacturers packs, chances are they won't all communicate nicely.

If you did away with the Pylon batteries and used those you would highly likely need to alter the settings in the inverter. These batteries are a new product designed by a UK company using good quality parts, @Oldman2 is running a Solis inverter connected to one pack (he may have another on order), there have been a few teething issues, but I think they pretty much have it sussed now.

Solis have said it's unlikely to invalidate the warranty, but they reserve the right to, not quite sure how that would work under UK law, and when the battery manufacturer states it's compatible, and the battery has a locked BMS. I know Ben was looking into how to get the batteries approved, no idea if he got anywhere though.

Probably not something many are affected by, but wondering if anyone on givenergy with multiple batteries had seen similar to the below where the battery scale changes depending on the mood of the system on that day. Seems to show 2 batteries total power yesterday, but only one today.

yYWKZ9A.png

18BqQWm.png

How do you space the mounts for the rails? Roughly every 1200 enough? I assume you start where the fist rafter is and work it that way?

If your doing it properly you'd look at the panel manufactures specification for mounting the panels, it will start an area where the clamps are to be, you then have to space your rails so the clamps will be in the appropriate area. it also depends on whether you're fitting vertical rails or horizontal rails, horizontal rails are much easier to install and the mounting brackets can go anywhere along the rail, but there will be maximum spacing, over hang etc, all will be in the rail manufactures specifications.

I was doing some research on ac coupling and came across this company, so thought i would add it here for people to look and see if it fits the bill for them. Its basically a battery than can connect to current solar systtem or just to be used as power while charging at off peak times and using the power during peak times. Comes with battery, inverter and full installation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom