Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

How do you space the mounts for the rails? Roughly every 1200 enough? I assume you start where the fist rafter is and work it that way?
i am no expert so feel free to ignore... but this may be worth knowing if you dont already. One thing the guy who surveyed our house before we had solar said was that there is a requirement to have a minimum gap size to the top, bottom and ends of your roof before you fit the panels so you cant go right to the edge of your roof..
Now i will say in the interests of openness (and this is from the actual fitters we had) the surveyor we had was useless and actually fired from the company by the time they came to install my system.
The reason why i had this discussion with the surveyor was because i argued there was room for 2 more panels on my west side roof, but that was the reason he gave me why he said it was a "bit tight" and he would not want to commit to the 2 extra i wanted.

Last edited:
He was correct, there is a minimum gap requirement, both for access, and wind loading considerations, some say 200mm, some 300 or even 400mm. In reality that's often ignored.
indeed.... in my case i *still* think the 2 extra panels i wanted would have fitted.

i mentioned it because i think the chap is thinking of a self install and i would hate for him to go to all that work only to not be able to get it signed off due to it being a few inches too close to the edge of his roof.

Yeah have read into all the edge measurements, I too was hoping to squeeze another two on the roof. However, with the requirements of spacing for wind I have had to back off slightly.

My question was specifically for the mountings for the rails to the rafters. I’m going to space them every 800 or 1200 dependant on rafter spacing, not measured yet but might do it today.

I’m going to spec a heating mat in the cabinet for the batteries. Anyone else done similar?

Last edited:
I was doing some research on ac coupling and came across this company, so thought i would add it here for people to look and see if it fits the bill for them. Its basically a battery than can connect to current solar systtem or just to be used as power while charging at off peak times and using the power during peak times. Comes with battery, inverter and full installation.

How have they done it for that price? The inverter alone costs £1,000.

its tempting, i take it if they go under in next 12 months you would be SOOL getting a refund.
its tempting, but i have found the same products available with ITS Technologies for 3k...thats including VAT, but then i have to pay someone to fit them.

Will i need dno paperwork as im sticking to the 3.6kwh inverter, same as i have now…..

If you are connecting the batteries to your existing inverter as DC connected batteries, then no, the existing DNO agreement you have is sufficient.

However, if you are adding another inverter, so AC connected batteries, then yes. Say you went with the one linked above, you would have 3.6kW inverter on the battery, and 3.6kW on the solar panels, in theory the total you could export is now 7.2kW.

Now I've always understood it that the DNO is interested in the maximum theoretical export, and that is what I applied for, and they gave me permission for, but very oddly when they set up my export MPAN they gave a different figure, the size of the new PV array, and when I queried it they told me that was correct and the battery and the existing array doesn't count. Very odd, and doesn't make sense, I think they were just confused, but I have the original agreement, and all the emails, so I'm happy with that.

Last edited:
If you are connecting the batteries to your existing inverter as DC connected batteries, then no, the existing DNO agreement you have is sufficient.

However, if you are adding another inverter, so AC connected batteries, then yes. Say you went with the one linked above, you would have 3.6kW inverter on the battery, and 3.6kW on the solar panels, in theory the total you could export is now 7.2kW.

Now I've always understood it that the DNO is interested in the maximum theoretical export, and that is what I applied for, and they gave me permission for, but very oddly when they set up my export MPAN they gave a different figure, the size of the new PV array, and when I queried it they told me that was correct and the battery and the existing array doesn't count. Very odd, and doesn't make sense, I think they were just confused, but I have the original agreement, and all the emails, so I'm happy with that.
It will be to replace current inverter if and when i do it ron-ski……so will still be one 3.6kw inverter, plus a battery

Wondering if we were allowed to add our own panels and inverter?

I have around 7*400w panels sitting in my alleyway they couldn't install.
I have a partial flat roof to front of house and wondered if I could get that turned into a pointy roof and the panels installed.
Fortunately when they installed the rear panels (6 panels in buckets ) they had to make a join in the solar cables on my roof..so it looks like it'll be easy to move the rear array to a new inverter.
Yes of course you can, you need to get it signed off by an electrician, and apply to your DNO to add the additional inverter capacity. In regards to altering the roof you'll likely need planning permission, and any panels you install will need to be within permitted development or require permission.

Back
Top Bottom