Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

I've seen those used on an episode of Grand Designs. The home owners filled the trays with dirt that was excavated from the build but as Ron-ski points out they had accounted for the extra weight.

At a guess each panel and filled tray is adding 30Kg? That adds up quick for roof designed just to keep the rain out.

I've seen those used on an episode of Grand Designs. The home owners filled the trays with dirt that was excavated from the build but as Ron-ski points out they had accounted for the extra weight.

At a guess each panel and filled tray is adding 30Kg? That adds up quick for roof designed just to keep the rain out.
Sarah Beeney used them for her big mansion build....but ground mounted them in one of her fields and not on the roof

Yeah I thought they were mainly aimed at ground installs.
Level surface, use mud for ballast in the black containers.
Ground or flat roof but I was thinking about at end of garden to give a little extra or getting something built at end of garden for a flat roof install.

Was thinking could get another 4 panels at end of garden if something was made that looks like a flower bed type deal that just doesnt have a front panel.

Ground or flat roof but I was thinking about at end of garden to give a little extra or getting something built at end of garden for a flat roof install.

Was thinking could get another 4 panels at end of garden if something was made that looks like a flower bed type deal that just doesnt have a front panel.
im Putting 4 extra panels on the man cave roof....after i rip the old roof off and build a skillion one in its place during maybe this autumn

im Putting 4 extra panels on the man cave roof....after i rip the old roof off and build a skillion one in its place during maybe this autumn
What kind of one you got, been trying to look for a shed but finding it awful difficult to find out the roof weight limits on them. Storage shed with enough for 110-120kg roof weight.

Already got a summer house that has mums hot tub and another shed in garden but no idea if they would support a couple of panels so was thinking about adding another where broken down shed that needs binning is at the end of the garden, was considering an E/W 2x500w JA Solar each side on pitched roof but need to work out lengths id need as with pitch it wont take up as much length/width.

Already got a summer house that has mums hot tub and another shed in garden but no idea if they would support a couple of panels so was thinking about adding another where broken down shed that needs binning is at the end of the garden, was considering an E/W 2x500w JA Solar each side on pitched roof but need to work out lengths id need as with pitch it wont take up as much length/width.
The 500w panels are 2227 x 1127 i think……so would need to be big enough to take two of those each side. Im doing a south facing skillion roof with 4x375w panels, to make my system 4.78kwhs

Last edited:
The 500w panels are 2227 x 1127 i think……so would need to be big enough to take two of those each side. Im doing a south facing skillion roof with 4x375w panels, to make my system 4.78kwhs
Width: 1,134mm
Height: 2,093mm

It would bump me to the ~6kw system I wanted

For just a tilted roof id only have enough space for 3 and that is 1 row landscape, I am assuming the 30cm each side doesnt apply to shed fitted panels?

I am just thinking ahead incase roof is 100% suitable and I go ahead with current proposal but cant find no roof weight limits lol.

Width: 1,134mm
Height: 2,093mm

It would bump me to the ~6kw system I wanted

For just a tilted roof id only have enough space for 3 and that is 1 row landscape, I am assuming the 30cm each side doesnt apply to shed fitted panels?

I am just thinking ahead incase roof is 100% suitable and I go ahead with current proposal but cant find no roof weight limits lol.
How you going to link those shed panels to the other panels??? And yes the 30cm rule would still exist as you dont want wind getting up under the panels and causing lift.

How you going to link those shed panels to the other panels??? And yes the 30cm rule would still exist as you dont want wind getting up under the panels and causing lift.
Would different groups not be separate entities to same inverter? I would assume wire could be run along the ground and if need be up to the others.

Hi All, taking the plunge into solar PV system myself, i had a question.

I have two system options, the biggest difference from my perspective is that FOX ESS is a 5KWH Output capacity while GivEnergy is only 3.6KWH output capacity.

Which setup would you recommend? (Cost for both is within budget and not much difference)

Panels
Tiger Neo N-type 54HL4-B 400-420 Watt All Black
12 x JKM420N-54HL4-B
420 Watt panels

Option 1 :
Hybrid Inverter, GivEnergy, GIV-HY5.0, 5.000 kW of Total Inverter Power
Battery, Giv-Bat9.5, 9.5kWh of Storage

Option 2 :
Inverter, Fox Ess AIO-H1-5.0, 5 kW Total Inverter Rating
Battery Fox Ess 3 x HV2600, 7.8 kWh Total Battery Storage

Solar Panels on sheds.

I would (with no expertise) be worried about the effect of high winds removing the entire roof of a shed after getting under the solar panels. I think sheds rely on being fairly light and need pinning to the ground to make them secure.

I remember the storms of 1987 and 1989 which caused a lot of damage along the south coast. I knew someone who lived in a very nice house with its own private mooring adjacent to the house. To get the money back, the developer had made them into 3 storey houses. Bigger house, bigger price, but blending in with 2 storey houses better. This resulted in a really low pitch roof with very heavy concrete tiles so they could not lift. In both 1987 and 1989 a lot of tiles from this development were flying around causing huge damage to parked cars. Luckily in 1987 it was overnight, so nobody injured. After 1989, insurance premiums for the owners went through the roof (pun intended). All the blame was directed to the manufacturers by the architect and structural engineers. There was also damage to all kinds of rooves not in good condition, myself included. The only ones untouched were the fake slate type that are very light and all clipped down.

Solar Panels on sheds.

I would (with no expertise) be worried about the effect of high winds removing the entire roof of a shed after getting under the solar panels. I think sheds rely on being fairly light and need pinning to the ground to make them secure.

I remember the storms of 1987 and 1989 which caused a lot of damage along the south coast. I knew someone who lived in a very nice house with its own private mooring adjacent to the house. To get the money back, the developer had made them into 3 storey houses. Bigger house, bigger price, but blending in with 2 storey houses better. This resulted in a really low pitch roof with very heavy concrete tiles so they could not lift. In both 1987 and 1989 a lot of tiles from this development were flying around causing huge damage to parked cars. Luckily in 1987 it was overnight, so nobody injured. After 1989, insurance premiums for the owners went through the roof (pun intended). All the blame was directed to the manufacturers by the architect and structural engineers. There was also damage to all kinds of rooves not in good condition, myself included. The only ones untouched were the fake slate type that are very light and all clipped down.
what of the shed is already bolted to the ground during installation and the roof is built with proper storm brackets to ensure its fully rigid??....we aint talking a B&Q special here

Back
Top Bottom