Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

‘We should install solar, we will save X over 8 years. It costs Y, our bill is Z. after that it’s free electricity.

As long as X is greater than Y and you can afford it the discussion moves away from logic and to the feels.

You are on your own with the latter. We can’t help you if she comes back and says she doesn’t want them because they look ugly (not that a standard concrete tile roof looks dashing mind).
Its also for me to know if they are worth it also.

That proposal x is what we should do because of evidence xyz.

Dunno about you but I can't just install or make wholesale changes to a house me and my partner own without first discussing it with my partner..
I did….i came downstairs, told the mrs i was installing solar as its the right thing to do to help the planet. She said, ok

job done

Last edited:

Dunno about you but I can't just install or make wholesale changes to a house me and my partner own without first discussing it with my partner..

It was my decision ultimately as I pay for mainly everything. Also I manage the home. However, it's also something that is important to us to reduce our carbon footprint.

My Mrs always say I will do what I want anyway so why bother asking her, but I do ask. Its me that does the work, and me that pays for the bulk of it anyway. Its always a good idea to discuss expensive purchases, especially the ones you can't smuggle in without being noticed :D

My Mrs always say I will do what I want anyway so why bother asking her, but I do ask. Its me that does the work, and me that pays for the bulk of it anyway. Its always a good idea to discuss expensive purchases, especially the ones you can't smuggle in without being noticed :D

I mean of course we discussed it first. However she understands the benefits and understands that it's the right thing to do. Ultimately I saved up for it and paid for it. The pros of it were clear it benefits everyone really.

At the end of the day, you all did your due diligence and looked at the numbers and asked questions like I did before jumping on it.
That's what I am doing lol

You should always evaluate things - but a lot of us got it before the prices went too nuts.

Even in the UK panels make a lot of sense for reducing your carbon footprint, your dependence on the grid. The "bonus" is earning some money after reducing your actual bills.

I guess for 4 months a year you basically get free electricity and the rest of the year a bit of a discount
Just checked my numbers and it's the other way round, 4 months of the year I've paid for electricity, the rest of the year I'm in profit. Even through the worst months still saving a few pounds a day from the combination of charging the battery cheaply overnight and what solar is available. This month, after gas and standing charges I reckon I'm going to be somewhere between £120 and £150 in profit. Time to payback the system looks like it may be under 6 years (though that may change if energy prices drop, though suspect long term they will always head upwards).

I work from home with a couple of PCs and a NAS and run a fairly hefty home cinema system for all my TV viewing in an evening (including a projector and 9.1.2, or possibly 7.1.4, I'm never quite sure where the front heights fit in the numbering) and usage is around 10KWh per day on average (varying between 8-12 generally).

You should always evaluate things - but a lot of us got it before the prices went too nuts.

Even in the UK panels make a lot of sense for reducing your carbon footprint, your dependence on the grid. The "bonus" is earning some money after reducing your actual bills.
Yea exactly.

The price is crazy for sure. My work mate spent over 12k installing them a few months back

Just checked my numbers and it's the other way round, 4 months of the year I've paid for electricity, the rest of the year I'm in profit. Even through the worst months still saving a few pounds a day from the combination of charging the battery cheaply overnight and what solar is available. This month, after gas and standing charges I reckon I'm going to be somewhere between £120 and £150 in profit. Time to payback the system looks like it may be under 6 years (though that may change if energy prices drop, though suspect long term they will always head upwards).

I work from home with a couple of PCs and a NAS and run a fairly hefty home cinema system for all my TV viewing in an evening (including a projector and 9.1.2, or possibly 7.1.4, I'm never quite sure where the front heights fit in the numbering) and usage is around 10KWh per day on average (varying between 8-12 generally).
I average between 8 to 10 kW at the moment but I don't have my surround sound system setup at the moment (my living room is under construction and looks more like a B and Q store with all my tools lol)

Yea exactly.

The price is crazy for sure. My work mate spent over 12k installing them a few months back

I spent around £13.5k, the price is semi irrelevant since within reason the more you pay the more you get.

Including the benefit from savings sessions I saved just over £1k in 6 months.

Although I would say due to the length of likely return, 6-10 years is likely, you kind of have to take a leap in the dark. No one can accurately predict energy costs over that timescale.
The best return is IMO knowing your doing your part in regards reducing carbon used for generation.
They will pay back eventually but thats so variable, based on cost, energy unit costs, special tariffs etc dont go too hard on trying to decide if its financially worthwhile.

I spent around £13.5k, the price is semi irrelevant since within reason the more you pay the more you get.

Including the benefit from savings sessions I saved just over £1k in 6 months.

Although I would say due to the length of likely return, 6-10 years is likely, you kind of have to take a leap in the dark. No one can accurately predict energy costs over that timescale.
The best return is IMO knowing your doing your part in regards reducing carbon used for generation.
They will pay back eventually but thats so variable, based on cost, energy unit costs, special tariffs etc dont go too hard on trying to decide if its financially worthwhile.
Why are costs so high?

Is it to entice the majority to keep on paying to the energy providers pockets rather then generating most of our own enegery ourselves?

Why are costs so high?

Is it to entice the majority to keep on paying to the energy providers pockets rather then generating most of our own enegery ourselves?

Its a few things
Panels themselves are relatively cheap, but they have quite a high install cost, which is why most of us say within reason get as many as you can.

Mine was roughly 50/50 between panels install, 14 panels, 5.6kw potential and batteries to store excess and store cheap units in the winter.

The batteries remain quite expensive.

Its got nothing to do with energy providers.

Right now due to demand installers are doing really well. As ever, supply and demand.

Last edited:
The cost of electricity jumped. So the potential 'savings' you can make from solar also jumped. So - installers can make bigger profits.

The actual components aren't that much different in price - although people do expect a lot more from their systems than was typically available a few years ago.

I cant remember were the post is now, so thought this may be the best place.

Those that have added fans to help dissipate heat from their inverter, what fans have you used, are they on a timer switch or are they just running all the time??

I have power available in the attic space were the inverter is placed and think adding a USB Computer type fan on a timer may help reduce heat and increase production a little, as the inverter wont be getting so hot

Last edited:
I cant remember were the post is now, so thought this may be the best place.

Those that have added fans to help dissipate heat from their inverter, what fans have you used, are they on a timer switch or are they just running all the time??

I have power available in the attic space were the inverter is placed and think adding a USB Computer type fan on a timer may help reduce heat and increase production a little, as the inverter wont be getting so hot
Others have used these, some have thermostatic control https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=cooling+fan+aquarium&crid=39Y4ZPFKKL79B

I've just used an old 80mm pc fan, connected to a usb adapter on a spare smart plug that's set on a routine to turn on when it's usually working hardest. I 3d printed a mount that holds it just underneath the inverter.

It's only a gentle breeze - but seeing as the inverter is designed to run passive - shouldn't need much.

I've just used an old 80mm pc fan, connected to a usb adapter on a spare smart plug that's set on a routine to turn on when it's usually working hardest. I 3d printed a mount that holds it just underneath the inverter.

It's only a gentle breeze - but seeing as the inverter is designed to run passive - shouldn't need much.
do you think its helped with production or not?? or are you just using it to keep the inverter cool

Back
Top Bottom