• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SOME RYZEN 7 1700 OVERCLOCKING!

Associate
I used the Asus auto overclock. Got it running on the 4ghz profile, which is basically 3999mhz @1.55V.

Still can't do anything with the memory though goes to 2400 on the auto clock anything higher and I crash out and have to remove the bios battery to fix it. (Running G.Skill Trident Z RGB)

Associate
I used the Asus auto overclock. Got it running on the 4ghz profile, which is basically 3999mhz @1.55V.

Still can't do anything with the memory though goes to 2400 on the auto clock anything higher and I crash out and have to remove the bios battery to fix it. (Running G.Skill Trident Z RGB)

1.55v? Wow! & not in a good way :eek: I'd lob at least .10v off that asap! As for memory, with BIOS updates I can get 3000MHz on a MSI B350 Tomahawk but the timings on 3200MHz are currently so pants it's not worth the effort (Corsair Vengeance CMK16GX4M2B3200). Imho if you want to get anything remotely working 'sensibly' dump the ASUS overclock and do it yourself. What's your mobo btw?

Associate

That's a truly terrible OC.

Aim for 3950mhz @ 1.375, you'll find the voltage requirements for that extra 50-100mhz are like .1-1.5 which are absolutely not worth while, you're talking about +1 cinebench (or even a negative as you'll almost certainly be thermal throttling at that voltage under load) and exactly 0.0fps increase.

Soldato

Aim for 3950mhz @ 1.375, you'll find the voltage requirements for that extra 50-100mhz are like .1-1.5 which are absolutely not worth while, you're talking about +1 cinebench (or even a negative as you'll almost certainly be thermal throttling at that voltage under load) and exactly 0.0fps increase.

I saw a very small if margin of error stuff going from 3.8-3.9 my biggest improvement came from memory speeds.

Associate

Why is it bad?

I never go above 55degrees when i'm using it.

Associate

Overclock manually. Auto overclocks tend to use far too much voltage.

Soldato
Bit of a tinker to get my RAM a touch faster, now if my dual rank 4 x 8GB module 32GB kit can hit its max 3,000mhz anyone can ;)

Capture3_zpsekvzh8vp.png

Only a few quick tests but despite taking a bit long to train/boot each time it works when in - the score difference in R15 for reference is previously @2,666. Probably going to sell this memory and pick up some quicker kits once the legendary May updates land... Key things to note:

1. CH6 MB
2. Would not boot at all using the 2999 profile, even with 1.5v on the DRAM, even using the OC memory profiles
3. Changing tactics using the stable 2666 profile but BLK @ 112.4, ratio 36.5 = same CPU OC just over 4.1, higher memory OC of 2999.
4. Now runs happily at 1.35v DRAM
5. CPU boots over 4.2, will not pass anything with anything over 4.1 (even 4.13 for example)

Could try 1.55v on the CPU but we shall see, temperatures are not an issue (although someone please tell me how to fix the BIOS temp reading 58c idle....)

Associate
hmm I don't think it is even 1.55 actually. HWMonitor is saying it's at 1.55 but CPU-Z is fluctuating between 1.4 and 1.45

Well CAM software and HWMonitor both show 1.55 but CPU-Z is fluctuating so i'm guessing CPU-Z is accurate as it's what it is actually using and that the 1.55 is a maximum possible or something?

Edit: I ran a CPU-Z bench for 10mins voltage was static at 1.395 so i'm guessing i'm ok then?

Last edited:
Associate
hmm I don't think it is even 1.55 actually. HWMonitor is saying it's at 1.55 but CPU-Z is fluctuating between 1.4 and 1.45

Well CAM software and HWMonitor both show 1.55 but CPU-Z is fluctuating so i'm guessing CPU-Z is accurate as it's what it is actually using and that the 1.55 is a maximum possible or something?

Edit: I ran a CPU-Z bench for 10mins voltage was static at 1.395 so i'm guessing i'm ok then?

If you know the power it's using for your target speed, then set it up manually - it might take an houe or two of your time to fettle it, but you at least can be sure of your settings and understand the chip better.

Soldato

if your happy with the asus 4ghz profile you could set it then save and exit, then go back into the bios and start lowering the cpu voltage, i had a play about and got down to 1.375

Associate
if your happy with the asus 4ghz profile you could set it then save and exit, then go back into the bios and start lowering the cpu voltage, i had a play about and got down to 1.375
If you know the power it's using for your target speed, then set it up manually - it might take an houe or two of your time to fettle it, but you at least can be sure of your settings and understand the chip better.

I think HWMonitor and CAM don't report Voltages properly, in Bios the Asus auto was showing 1.437. I set a manual cap of 1.45 and when i rebooted CAM still show 1.55. CPU-Z is still reporting me as running 1.439.

Do either of you know how to OC Memory. I have the the G.Skill F4-300015D-16GTZR Trident Memory, 3000mhz @15-16-16-35.

Computer wont even post of i set it auto to 2666 or above. 2400 is the fastest it will boot at. But I doesn't let me change voltages the option is just greyed out, I can changing timings but that's it.

@AMDMatt Sorry to tag you in this! but i know you use the same memory but different model so thought you might be able to help =)

Soldato
I think HWMonitor and CAM don't report Voltages properly, in Bios the Asus auto was showing 1.437. I set a manual cap of 1.45 and when i rebooted CAM still show 1.55. CPU-Z is still reporting me as running 1.439.

Do either of you know how to OC Memory. I have the the G.Skill F4-300015D-16GTZR Trident Memory, 3000mhz @15-16-16-35.

Computer wont even post of i set it auto to 2666 or above. 2400 is the fastest it will boot at. But I doesn't let me change voltages the option is just greyed out, I can changing timings but that's it.

@AMDMatt Sorry to tag you in this! but i know you use the same memory but different model so thought you might be able to help =)

Have you tried 3200 with 16-16-16-36? Ryzen doesn't like odd numbers in ram timings.
Also try increasing your SoC voltage to 1.1v

Back
Top Bottom