Something went wrong, ordered a Mustang, yet ended up in a British hotrod, I blame OcUK!

Sgarrista
Commissario
Gibbo very kindly took me for a spin in it today.

What an animal of a car, even on ****** cold salty roads, put your foot down and the power is just instant and unrelenting.

Goes to show the quality of the MPS4S tyres also, he was able to get on the power at any point and it was gripping, I was running cup2s and managed to spin them up in 4th.

Many thanks Gibbo, cant wait for a run at vmax :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Gibbo very kindly took me for a spin in it today.

What an animal of a car, even on ****** cold salty roads, put your foot down and the power is just instant and unrelenting.

Goes to show the quality of the MPS4S tyres also, he was able to get on the power at any point and it was gripping, I was running cup2s and managed to spin them up in 4th.

Many thanks Gibbo, cant wait for a run at vmax :D

Gonna be fun, hoping for similar slippy conditions because if you and Mac are not getting full power until 4th gear, I might actually win. :D

Shame my mods won't be on car in time! :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Though I'd not change my coupe for a convertible, in the F Type being originally designed as a convertible, it does make a lot of sense just for the noise...............

Caporegime
Though I'd not change my coupe for a convertible, in the F Type being originally designed as a convertible, it does make a lot of sense just for the noise...............
Judging the reactions of those around you today and the sound inside (that lovely stereo is so not needed!) it only makes sense if you like soft tops.

A stunning car thats so much more than just a one trick pony, still blown away by the experience - so brutally quick yet so remarkably refined, never knew Jag had it in them.

Caporegime
Sounds like Gibbo is doing some PR magic. :D

It’s where you have to look beyond stats etc and just base things on how they make you feel and that’s where Jaguar duality works wonders.
It does mate, oh boy it does!

I honestly thought he’d lost the plot when he opted for the SVR initially, now I’ve sampled it, it all makes sense.

Soldato
Just watched the new top gear with the SVR vs the Hennessy Mustang. Have you seen it? Not exactly a factual comparison but they didn’t half make the Jag seem ordinary on the show. Just wondered if you were still pining for a supercharged Mustang?

OcUK Staff
OP
Just watched the new top gear with the SVR vs the Hennessy Mustang. Have you seen it? Not exactly a factual comparison but they didn’t half make the Jag seem ordinary on the show. Just wondered if you were still pining for a supercharged Mustang?

You could see on Top Gear the SVR was ahead until 90-100mph in perfect conditions, warm and dry. On the road its just a savage car that deploys power so well but in cornering feels RWD due to the AWD system being 90% rear in dynamic mode! :)

Not at all, because as people found out on Saturday, the SVR is quicker than most things to 100mph from a stand still, even GTR's just can't put the power down like it can. Even in the worse of conditions, freezing temperatures, dirty, gritted, wet, greasy roads it will launch from the line and find traction and just go and its not down to the Michelins it was just as capable on the Pzero from a stand still. :)

A supercharged Mustang is great on warm summer days, but for me the SVR just does it better and is a far superior daily driver that is fun to drive all year round!

Then the noise and every person who heard it and went out in it Saturday were gob smacked at the noise, even more so when those who asked what exhaust does it have and my response is this is a completely stock car:

OcUK Staff
OP
@Jonnycoupe

One of the passenger I took out at weekend mentioned that the different modes impacts the AWD split as I was explaining how if I get on power on corner exit or even straight line, sometimes traction control intervenes and was why I tend to use track DSC to prevent the power being interrupted but at same time I am a little wary of it in such a mode as it can get rather side ways in that mode, though by having car in track DSC can certainly feel the torque vectoring and E-diff doing its thing, whereas in regular DSC it tends to just kill the fun before the fancy torque vectoring and E-diff can do their stuff.

He suggested snow/rain/ice mode as it permantly locks the AWD to 50/50, which is new to me, I believed all the different modes did was impact throttle response and gear shifts mainly and as such I always have car in dynamic mode with suspension on normal.

So tonight in the wet conditions I decided to put the car in snow/rain/ice mode and left traction control on and to my surprise it does indeed seem to have a different balance, seems more neutral and power slide like an EVO rather than RWD, plus even with DSC fully on its no longer interrupting power which tells me its not breaking traction or getting a slip angle to worry the system. In short driving the car tonight in this mode felt a bit like driving the Golf R, hugely confident inspiring with a neutral balance and more grip generally.

So I wondered if I was imagining all this as placebo or if the AWD power split is adjusted in the different modes? If so do you know or can find out what the split is in each mode please?

Soldato
Yeah that makes sense hence rain mode - I’ll ask my ex driveline mate at work for details on typical calibrations. The later cars of course do show you in the screen.

I’m not sure if it will ever shove 50 forward though as the diff is more limited by torque so will depend what gear you are in as to what’s on offer.

The transient throttle stuff will ramp in slower aswell to help traction and gear changes slight delay in torque converter lock up to help the tyre grip to avoid DSC intervention.

OcUK Staff
OP
Had a chat with Dale Lomas today, the guy who drives the ring taxi SVR to see if I was imagining the additional confidence when driving the car in wet mode in the wet. He has confirmed:
Rain Mode: AWD split is as close to 50/50 automatic as possible.
Dynamic mode: AWD split is 90% rear and 10% front automatic.

So when I was feeling the rear slide out in the wet and then straighten in dynamic but in wet mode I could just really keep the car tidier and put power down with less traction cut was not me imagining it.

I am amazed Jaguar do not market this, as I feel its yet another real strength of the car to be able to adjust the AWD split on the fly with the wet, normal and dynamic modes. No idea what AWD split normal is as I've not asked.

Dale said on wet and slippery laps he puts the SVR in wet mode, DSC fully off and manual gears and it gives a real advantage to running the car in dynamic mode in such conditions. :)

Back
Top Bottom