Something went wrong, ordered a Mustang, yet ended up in a British hotrod, I blame OcUK!

Soldato
Actually i think Im thinking of the F Type R when you spec ceramics and option of forged. I think SVR is forged as standard.

From Website
Weight is the enemy of performance. So we designed F‑TYPE SVR to be as lean as possible. Every gram has a purpose. Its lightweight Titanium and Inconel® exhaust system saves 16kg, while the striking Forged alloy wheels offer a 13.8kg overall weight saving. Each redesigned rear suspension knuckle shaves off 0.6kg compared to conventional knuckles, and the optional 398mm front and 380mm rear carbon ceramic brakes reduce weight by 21kg compared with non‑ceramic alternatives. Every milligram saved gives F‑TYPE SVR more rapid acceleration, more agile handling and sharper braking – for an unforgettable driving experience.
Still 21kg @Gibbo....21kg!!!

(Let's everyone make him buy a set of CCBs, since we managed to get him to buy the SVR originally!)

Soldato
Bonkers fast before anyway.

If you pop your CV in we can take a look for any experience you have delivering light cars?

Not sure if thats aiming at me or not, but its a heavy car for a 2 seater (i know some of it will be the engine), as a comparison a cayman gt4 (also a 2 seater albeit down on power, but still comparable) weighs almost 350kgs less. Where's all the weight coming from, is it the mahogany dash:p? Don't get me wrong it looks like a nice car and sounds pretty savage/giggle inducing but it seems very heavy.

OcUK Staff
OP
Not sure if thats aiming at me or not, but its a heavy car for a 2 seater (i know some of it will be the engine), as a comparison a cayman gt4 (also a 2 seater albeit down on power, but still comparable) weighs almost 350kgs less. Where's all the weight coming from, is it the mahogany dash:p? Don't get me wrong it looks like a nice car and sounds pretty savage/giggle inducing but it seems very heavy.

The F-Type could certainly lose more weight, but I think Jaguar have a different target audience in mind and are designing their cars primarily more as road use, rather than track use. But if I was to summarise where I think some weight could be saved:

- Remove Hi-Fi, car has subwoofers, several speakers throughout, AMP's etc. So these are no doubt some weight
- Motorised door handles, motorised heater vents, motorised multi-direction seats both driver and passenger, am sure some carbon fixed seats with just hand adjust would save weight
- Thinner glass
- Smaller fuel tank, smaller washer bottle, lighter battery are other things.
- Less sound deadening, thinner carpets etc.
- Maybe also sacrifice the AWD or at least offer in both RWD and AWD variants for those who want the purist experience and wish to save additional weight.
- Fix silly big wing! :D

So yeah they could save more weight, but I think the customer base for such a car would be so small it would absolutely not be in Jaguar's interest to do so, unless they made such a small amount and sold at an insanely crazy high price to collectors etc.

I think with carbon ceramics, carbon roof, lesser sound system, some other options not ticked an SVR is probably 1660-1670kg, its not too bad, considering its an AWD very capable road car. I would say to drive it simply feels its weight but with exceptional traction and neutral handling.

OcUK Staff
OP
Jonny I tend to drive the car in dynamic but I set the engine back to normal and the suspension back to normal. Is the engine setting just throttle mapping or does it adjust anything else? Suspension I prefer in normal, seems better suited for most typical UK roads.

Soldato
I guess the point is most the stuff on the core car really struggles as it’s difficult make everything from a clean sheet unless you are a start up and you have to.

The passenger and driver sit much further apart so the width soon starts increasing weight massively and the platform was originally an XK convertible with good body stiffness.

Jonny I tend to drive the car in dynamic but I set the engine back to normal and the suspension back to normal. Is the engine setting just throttle mapping or does it adjust anything else? Suspension I prefer in normal, seems better suited for most typical UK roads.

Engine is also DSC intervention I think, and a bit of the active exhaust if it’s not in sports mode.

Interestingly most the cars ive driven people set up the custom dynamics so you get everything in dynamic but not suspension.

OcUK Staff
OP
I guess the point is most the stuff on the core car really struggles as it’s difficult make everything from a clean sheet unless you are a start up and you have to.

The passenger and driver sit much further apart so the width soon starts increasing weight massively and the platform was originally an XK convertible with good body stiffness.

Engine is also DSC intervention I think, and a bit of the active exhaust if it’s not in sports mode.

Interestingly most the cars ive driven people set up the custom dynamics so you get everything in dynamic but not suspension.

Yeah it is how I set mine up, shall leave engine in dynamic then and just get used to pulling wheelies. :D
Suspension in dynamic I just find a touch firm on the roads I travel, in normal it rides lovely, it also seems to have a touch more grip in normal mode as well, whereas in dynamic in the wet it is indeed rather lively, I may switch to that mode once I am more used to the car but for now I am trying to keep oversteer situations reduced.

Soldato
So yeah they could save more weight, but I think the customer base for such a car would be so small it would absolutely not be in Jaguar's interest to do so, unless they made such a small amount and sold at an insanely crazy high price to collectors etc.

Like the 'Lightweight E-type' market, 12 original + 6 copies. :D

Man of Honour
Well I spent today lighting up all 4 tyres most of today as the roads around here are terrible. It seems every farmer in Staffordshire has taken his tractor across his fields and then driven on all the local roads to clean his tyres off! Terrible conditions, mistake to take the car out and just finished jet washing the crap off it. I know what a handful mine was on local roads, can imagine the Jag will be even worse.

OcUK Staff
OP
Well I spent today lighting up all 4 tyres most of today as the roads around here are terrible. It seems every farmer in Staffordshire has taken his tractor across his fields and then driven on all the local roads to clean his tyres off! Terrible conditions, mistake to take the car out and just finished jet washing the crap off it. I know what a handful mine was on local roads, can imagine the Jag will be even worse.

I needed something to scare me a little more today than the Jaaaag was capable off, so took the VW Up (warranty work) for a trip out. :D

Back
Top Bottom