Something went wrong, ordered a Mustang, yet ended up in a British hotrod, I blame OcUK!

Soldato
Also found this:

Has the exact same colour shift issue on passenger side. :)

Seems to be normal which is good. At least that’s cleared.

In regards to the purchase of the svr. Definitely bank transfer due to money involved. Take photocopies of his I.D (drivers licence or passport). If he’s serious about the car he should notify his bank of the transfer before hand so it does not get flagged.

I’ve read with some banks that anything over 10k does but again, only read.

Do not hand/sign anything over until the funds are in the account, so you can physically see the transfer (reg number or car name in description possibly/vin?) In person it may be worth mentioning whether he leaves a deposit (if he can’t pay Friday), then pay Saturday before collecting to take the car.

Have someone with you and do not hand over the keys when showing him anything he wants seen too.

OcUK Staff
OP
Out of interest, why won't you allow a test drive, even if he is comprehensively insured? Personally I wouldn't buy a car without a test drive.

I'd rather not, I've said to him upon valid proof of driving license, passport and insurance he can.
Still you can assess plenty from the passenger seat too.

But sorry I am not happy to let total strangers test drive a car, I have no idea of their ability and don't need the stress if they prang it, you can certainly tell from the passenger seat if a car is fine or not.

Just how I feel about the subject, for those unhappy, fine don't buy the car, I can just trade it in. :)

Soldato
I'd rather not, I've said to him upon valid proof of driving license, passport and insurance he can.
Still you can assess plenty from the passenger seat too.

But sorry I am not happy to let total strangers test drive a car, I have no idea of their ability and don't need the stress if they prang it, you can certainly tell from the passenger seat if a car is fine or not.

Just how I feel about the subject, for those unhappy, fine don't buy the car, I can just trade it in. :)

That's fair enough, I suppose in the world of performance cars it may work slightly differently, his car ownership history may play a part too.

For example, would you let someone test drive the Clio, should you be selling it?

OcUK Staff
OP
That's fair enough, I suppose in the world of performance cars it may work slightly differently, his car ownership history may play a part too.

For example, would you let someone test drive the Clio, should you be selling it?

I'd rather not with any car to be honest, as I have no idea of the person, but yes I'd be less worried as the financial implication is far far less.
I've shotgun in cars before I was looking to buy and for me I can find everything out I need to know about the car from passenger seat, as to how it drives, well if you want to know that you should have test drove with a dealership, that is what I did with Golf R I used dealerships to test drive new ones, I then searched for used ones, and I was able to tell from the passenger ride it had warped brakes, the owner wanted me to drive it also so I did and indeed the brakes were warped, but a deal was still done. :)

Don
I never let anyone test drive a car I'm selling unless it's worth so little I can afford to lose the money, or its someone I know.
One bloke got well shirty with me when I wouldn't let him test drive the XJ. Pretty much accused me of trying to hide something. That's been the exception rather than the rule though. I've never had a problem selling.

OcUK Staff
OP
Internet is a small world, guy on another forum took these photos on a track day at Donnington in 2017:

IMG_4189.jpg

IMG_4183.jpg

IMG_4036.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

It has being properly used, but it explains the brake wear, it shall also be enjoyed in a similar fashion by myself. :)

Associate
congrats. its going to be epic! re: payment. bankers drafts are useless and can be reversed even months later. No idea if CHAPS/FasterPayment is reversible due to fraud, but a friend of mine in the police said the safest method is still cash, deposited at the bank directly into your account. All counted and secure at the bank and not reversible. After that, the same operation using debit cards at the bank directly. Any security checks are done right there, and you hand over both cards to the teller etc and do chip and pin. This was a few years back before internet banking was so prevalent. Obvs 60k in cash is unlikely lol.

Man of Honour
I never let anyone test drive a car I'm selling unless it's worth so little I can afford to lose the money, or its someone I know.
One bloke got well shirty with me when I wouldn't let him test drive the XJ. Pretty much accused me of trying to hide something. That's been the exception rather than the rule though. I've never had a problem selling.

I can't imagine buying a used car from a private seller without driving it first. Whilst I can understand why you were reluctant it's difficult not to see the point of the XJ buyer.

Back
Top Bottom