Something went wrong, ordered a Mustang, yet ended up in a British hotrod, I blame OcUK!

Permabanned
Thats what Ferrari said they will do, then its upto me as most owners just throw it in the front boot and just say ah officer it fell off and I forgot about it.

Not sure why cars need front plates, apart from front facing cameras, but many motorbikes don't have a front plate.

i would do just that who cares you own a yellow Ferrari :)

Caporegime
Thats what Ferrari said they will do, then its upto me as most owners just throw it in the front boot and just say ah officer it fell off and I forgot about it.

Not sure why cars need front plates, apart from front facing cameras, but many motorbikes don't have a front plate.

No motorbikes have a front plate. Unless you go back to the 40's and before with the 'pedestrian slicer' numberplates on the front mudguard.

OcUK Staff
OP
Wouldn't a tiny (obviously illegal) plate be seen as taking the **** more than just having a full size one in the boot and claiming it fell off...

Maybe but I've being putting small plates on my cars for sometime now as have friends, never had any issues with Police, I think as long as the font is correct font and the letters are not crazy small they are quite OK with it because it is still perfectly readable and recognisable by camera/ANPR.

Man of Honour
Put it in the boot, and if you get stopped, claim it just fell off a few miles ago.

I've seen Lamborghini owners doing that :p

Edit: as you've already said, but I vote for that.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Got a private buyer coming for SVR on Friday, he sounds pretty genuine as currently has a V6S which he has sold.
But I want to make sure I am safe, what do I need to do in order to make sure I don't get ripped off?

I assume the only way is to not let him leave until funds are in my bank and I've moved the money from my current account to my savings account?
So he needs to do a same hour transfer over the counter or phone with his bank?

Don
Hi there

Got a private buyer coming for SVR on Friday, he sounds pretty genuine as currently has a V6S which he has sold.
But I want to make sure I am safe, what do I need to do in order to make sure I don't get ripped off?

I assume the only way is to not let him leave until funds are in my bank and I've moved the money from my current account to my savings account?
So he needs to do a same hour transfer over the counter or phone with his bank?

Pretty much; keep in mind any test drives obviously need to be insured from his side. I'd always check for a valid drivers license also. Keep your wits about you, any sign of funny business, call it out. It's generally a good idea to have a friend present also.

With payment, you can CHAPS or Bankers Draft (or even cheque), but just make sure funds are cleared. If for whatever reason you choose cheque, funds showing in your account aren't the real deal until the cheque has fully cleared. Stuff like if the buyer is paying cash, make sure you count it fully. Your bank can confirm that funds have been cleared on the phone, which would negate you having to move funds about - though I'd do the same also.

OcUK Staff
OP
Pretty much; keep in mind any test drives obviously need to be insured from his side. I'd always check for a valid drivers license also. Keep your wits about you, any sign of funny business, call it out. It's generally a good idea to have a friend present also.

With payment, you can CHAPS or Bankers Draft (or even cheque), but just make sure funds are cleared. If for whatever reason you choose cheque, funds showing in your account aren't the real deal until the cheque has fully cleared. Stuff like if the buyer is paying cash, make sure you count it fully. Your bank can confirm that funds have been cleared on the phone, which would negate you having to move funds about - though I'd do the same also.

He offered bank transfer or bankers draft though was unsure if latter was still something that can be done.
Once he does it I shall log in and move into saving account anyway as just reassurance for me as once its in there it is not coming out.

No test drives and he shall view at OcUK, I won't have people coming my house. :)

Don
He offered bank transfer or bankers draft though was unsure if latter was still something that can be done.
Once he does it I shall log in and move into saving account anyway as just reassurance for me as once its in there it is not coming out.

No test drives and he shall view at OcUK, I won't have people coming my house. :)

Bankers draft is still a thing, I'd be looking at getting some sort of proof of address from the guy, this way you can chase him up for whatever reason.

The standard fraud is for a cheque to be paid, bank confirms all is ok. Cheque turns out to be duff, funds get taken from the account. If you're going down that route make him pay a deposit for the car, wait for the funds to clear (and ensure validity) and then hand over the keys and the relevant paper work.

OcUK Staff
OP
Bankers draft is still a thing, I'd be looking at getting some sort of proof of address from the guy, this way you can chase him up for whatever reason.

The standard fraud is for a cheque to be paid, bank confirms all is ok. Cheque turns out to be duff, funds get taken from the account. If you're going down that route make him pay a deposit for the car, wait for the funds to clear (and ensure validity) and then hand over the keys and the relevant paper work.

I won't accept cheque.
Told him I will only accept a bank transfer either done over the counter (ideal) or he calls his bank and makes transfer.
No test drives, I shall drive.

He is selling his car Wednesday to trade, will catch train up on Friday to view and purchase mine.
His email address and signature would suggest he is managing director of this company:
http://prospect-solutions.co.uk/

Seems to have being around a few years so looks fairly legit. :)

Sgarrista
Commissario
Just make sure to get a signed receipt for sale, an ideally a picture / photocopy of his driving license, that sort of money going into your account will raise flags and you may be asked to provide evidence of where/why you suddenly had someone deposit 60 grand into your account

Back
Top Bottom