Sony XF90

Associate
just took delivery and set it up blimey it's a beast 65 inch looked smallish in the shop different story in the flat :D up scaling on the 1080p blu ray looks fantastic pin sharp and dts pass through works yay need to find some 4k stuff too watch :) black bars suitably jet black on the blu rays too. and no DSE on football..

any best picture settings on-line somewhere ?

Associate
thanks struggling to get network files to play on the tv or be seen what are people using plex ? the app on tv refusing to find the server had some success with vlc player but it says some folders are empty but they are not on the nas drive. old tv had DNLA i think

bah spoke too soon about the dts pass through can only get stereo off the nas drive files at the moment, hmm might have too dig my wd tv box out

Last edited:
Caporegime
just took delivery and set it up blimey it's a beast 65 inch looked smallish in the shop different story in the flat :D up scaling on the 1080p blu ray looks fantastic pin sharp and dts pass through works yay need to find some 4k stuff too watch :) black bars suitably jet black on the blu rays too. and no DSE on football..

any best picture settings on-line somewhere ?

rtings have a settings section on the second tab at the top of their review.

they tell you what settings to use depending on the source and content.

they also tell you which settings are specific to their panel so you shouldn't use them.

this is the problem - most people don't understand what settings they shouldn't be copying because it's specific to that panel. a panel is made up of a million different parts all built differently in each tv. those settings will vary greatly from panel to panel. so there is a 50% chance you could be making the picture worse.

so I would use RTINGS settings and forget all others.

Soldato
But they are a good starting point and you should always play around with the settings to see what works best for your preferred viewing/eyes etc. Unless you want "picture perfect" in which case pay to get your panel calibrated.

Not much love for the Rtings settings on AVForums. I am personally using the FlatPanelsHD settings tweaked a bit for my own preferences: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1519270866

Soldato
Just make sure you turn off motion smoothing - worst thing ever invented (for TVs).
I don't know. My eyes must be very different to everyone else because I can't stand "motion blur" and the only way I can get it close to tolerable on this set is to use Motionflow: smooth and Film Mode: low. Film Mode any higher and it goes SOE.

if everything is off I cannot enjoy the picture as it's just a blur fest. This is on all sources and yes I frame rate match and have my outputs set-up correctly.

Loads of talk over at AVForums about Motionflow settings and I have tried them all. This is why they exist I guess, some people like x and some like y.

Soldato
The setting pretty tricky, I thought most 23.xx fps films are sped up to 50HZ for freeview, duplicating frames, and that, is difficult for a tv to distinguish from genuine (BBC say) 50fps material.

I don't have black frame insertion on my panasonic, but folks seem polarized between which of that and frame creation are 'best',
also if the media is being decoded on the tv itself, not hdmi, tv often smooths better, because the mpeg noise reduction on the TV helps too

I am personally using the FlatPanelsHD
the best folks imhop

Associate
Daft question I am connecting a sky q box, sony x800 blu ray player and sonos beam to my xf90.

Hdmi 2 and 3 are the enhanced hdmi ports

Hdmi 3 is also ARC

Ideally I'd like to use the tv remote to control the sonos.

For sky uhd I'll mainly be watching football. Would there be any disadvantage in me using hdmi 4 for sky q? (Frame rate/motion etc?)

Soldato
Daft question I am connecting a sky q box, sony x800 blu ray player and sonos beam to my xf90.

Hdmi 3 is also ARC

For sky uhd I'll mainly be watching football. Would there be any disadvantage in me using hdmi 4 for sky q? (Frame rate/motion etc?)

Well yes, you won't get 4K through HDMI 1 or 4.

Associate
Youtube now supports HDR through the installed app.

Colour space and brightness settings are not triggering correctly though and will have to be set.

Caporegime

Hdmi 3 is also ARC

can't the sonos beam connect using optical out?

or can't you connect the other hdmi sources into the sonos beam?

you picked the wrong soundbar then IMO

Associate

that clip is stunning on this tv the green snake bit at 10 secs and lizard at 1.05 in particular not mention the frog in-between my brother in law who was a bit sceptical of 4k was sold with in seconds :D any other reference nature clips out there ?

too ad the squirrel bellow at 7.29 stunning.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone got this plugged into satellite rather than aerial? Any tips on tuning it as it picks up over 300 channels (not all working) and I don’t want 30 different regional versions of BBC1!! Never got round to sorting it out but have a couple of days off and feel the urge to figure it out.

EDIT: I’m in a valley with no TV aerial reception so satellite is the only option.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone got this plugged into satellite rather than aerial? Any tips on tuning it as it picks up over 300 channels (not all working) and I don’t want 30 different regional versions of BBC1!! Never got round to sorting it out but have a couple of days off and feel the urge to figure it out.

Seems I am SOOL, the tuning service finds over 400 channels and sorting that will take an age. To make matters worse I read that when receiving an auto service update it will reset the channel sorting. And worse still Sony’s EPG does not work properly on satellite :mad: Looks like my only option is to buy a separate freesat box :( FFS I spent £2k on this TV expecting to get something awesome. https://community.sony.fi/t5/other-...ormation-quot-on-freesat/td-p/1749757/page/14

I love the picture quality and aesthetics of this TV but now wish I’d bought something else.

Soldato
So Sony released a channel editor - https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/..._x90xxf-series/kd-65xf9005/downloads/00015296. This made it really easy to get down from 300 to 25 channels that I'll actually use. EPG is still hit and miss but at least this makes the TV portion usable now thankfully.

In downloading this I also noticed that Sony had updated the firmware last year to add support for Dolby Vision, so if you don't have auto updates on you might want to download it - https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00015390.

Now I just need to get my AV port sorted for N64 goodness :D.

Soldato
Do you know if this will come as an automatic download or if it will need to be updated via USB? Hope it brings speed improvements.

I was looking for apps on the Play Store and found it really limited (e.g. no Now TV app), am I doing it wrong or are there only a small number of apps for Sony TVs? (I know you can cast Now TV from iPhone to the TV's Chromecast.

Back
Top Bottom