Sony XF90

Associate
Do you know if this will come as an automatic download or if it will need to be updated via USB? Hope it brings speed improvements.

It will update automatically eventually, USB is the way to get it quickest though. The UK firmware is usually a month or so behind the US one.

Soldato
Do you know if this will come as an automatic download or if it will need to be updated via USB? Hope it brings speed improvements.

I was looking for apps on the Play Store and found it really limited (e.g. no Now TV app), am I doing it wrong or are there only a small number of apps for Sony TVs? (I know you can cast Now TV from iPhone to the TV's Chromecast.

Both, although doing USB can speed things up if the TV hasn't picked up the update.

I never noticed the new updates until the TV told me, so I tend to do it that way.

Caporegime
Sony are great for updates. I got firmware updates every few months on my W907C (top of the range 2015 model). Personally I don't see why the need for constant updates on a tv unless it's to fix a known issue but I know a lot of people go crazy about them. it's not as if it will add anything updating to oreo. Well nothing I will use.

Associate
Sony are great for updates. I got firmware updates every few months on my W907C (top of the range 2015 model). Personally I don't see why the need for constant updates on a tv unless it's to fix a known issue but I know a lot of people go crazy about them. it's not as if it will add anything updating to oreo. Well nothing I will use.

The new interface is a lot better:

Associate
it needs some tweaking /' improvement the software mine was stuck on rt news the other day couldn't change the channel unresponsive the netflix app has crashed a couple of times when i have paused it for a few mins. ive had the boot up sequence a couple of times those circles on screen followed by the android logo.

picture is great though even on 1080p stuff freeview ect..the last kingdom on netflix for example

hopefully this update will improve things.

Soldato
Hi guys,

I purchased the XF9005 75" and well did a screen check after noticing a bright area on the left bottom of the screen and well seems like a bunch of stuck pixels and then did a full check of the screen with coloured slides and found at least 14 stuck pixels and 2 dead pixels and also some areas that looked like dirt under the screen like 2-3mm ovals but the pixels there are fine just looked darker from like dirt or the pixel grid is not as fine in them areas so making it look like dirt.

I'm guessing this is not acceptable and has anyone with the XF9005 75" or 65" or 85" seeing the same things too ?

Soldato
I never tested mine specifically for stuck/dead pixels but I’ve not noticed any. I would certainly be trying to return one I wasn’t happy with though.

Caporegime
Hi guys,

I purchased the XF9005 75" and well did a screen check after noticing a bright area on the left bottom of the screen and well seems like a bunch of stuck pixels and then did a full check of the screen with coloured slides and found at least 14 stuck pixels and 2 dead pixels and also some areas that looked like dirt under the screen like 2-3mm ovals but the pixels there are fine just looked darker from like dirt or the pixel grid is not as fine in them areas so making it look like dirt.

I'm guessing this is not acceptable and has anyone with the XF9005 75" or 65" or 85" seeing the same things too ?

not seen anything on my 55" but I'll run a test later if i get time.

did you buy from jown lewis? they would replace the tv i would imagine.

Soldato
can conduct most of conversation by email and follow-up call - pictures on a phone are difficult to evaluate ? maybe they have one on display though, to try and compare

which specific test pattern did you use https://www.rtings.com/images/test-materials/2015/204_Gray_Uniformity.png ?

They are replacing it, I took many pictures on my phone and right away they said that's not right. So new one on way and this one taken away.

Just create coloured slides on paint or any graphics program in 3840 x 2160 pixels and make some white and shades of white to grey and some black,red,green, blue etc and scan the screen for problems. Make sure the ambient light sensor is off so full brightness and also to test black is a little more difficult as the back lights turn off, so go into youtube or the menu and set the background to black by selecting youtube or some other app that makes the background black and try scan in the areas too while moving the menu up and down in the dark areas for stuck pixels. The trick I did was to go into youtube and quickly pause a black or very dark video bit that had the back light still on for all the screen that showed every stuck pixel and the white slide showed all the dead pixels that were black and the dirt on the inside of the screen.

Seems like panel lottery again with TVs now too... :rolleyes::mad: Let's hope next one is right or it will be going back too for another replacement, I'm part of their VIP club so they said to me if not happy with next one they will replace if they see problems again, till I get one that's in spec. A few bad pixels is normal, but what I had wasn't according to them and the dirt under the screen should never have been there.

Last edited:
Caporegime
They are replacing it, I took many pictures on my phone and right away they said that's not right. So new one on way and this one taken away.

Just create coloured slides on paint or any graphics program in 3840 x 2160 pixels and make some white and shades of white to grey and some black,red,green, blue etc and scan the screen for problems. Make sure the ambient light sensor is off so full brightness and also to test black is a little more difficult as the back lights turn off, so go into youtube or the menu and set the back to black by selecting youtube or some other app that makes the background black and try scan in the areas too while moving the menu up and down in the dark areas for stuck pixels. The trick I did was to go into youtube and quickly pause a black or very dark video bit that had the back light still on for all the screen that showed every stuck pixel and the white slide showed all the dead pixels that were black and the dirt on the inside of the screen.

Seems like panel lottery again with TVs now too... :rolleyes::mad: Let's hope next one is right or it will be going back too for another replacement, I'm part of their VIP club so they said to me if not happy with next one they will replace if they see problems again, till I get one that's in spec. A few bad pixels is normal, but what I had wasn't according to them and the dirt under the screen should never have been there.

since you have already done that fancy uploading yours to dropbox for us?

Soldato

I will upload the slides when I get home tonight for anyone that wants to use them to check their screen.

I edited above post too regarding how best to test for black and trick the back light to stay on, another trick is set black slide and turn the menu on for picture setting at top or the right side to make that area light up in the dark areas too.

Soldato
Just create coloured slides on paint or any graphics program in 3840 x 2160 pixels and make some white and shades of white to grey and some black,red,green, blue etc and scan the screen for problems. Make sure the ambient light sensor is off so full brightness and also to test black is a little more difficult as the back lights turn off, so go into youtube or the menu and set the background to black by selecting youtube or some other app that makes the background black and try scan in the areas too while moving the menu up and down in the dark areas for stuck pixels. The trick I did was to go into youtube and quickly pause a black or very dark video bit that had the back light still on for all the screen that showed every stuck pixel and the white slide showed all the dead pixels that were black and the dirt on the inside of the screen.
ok ... clouds seem an internet favourite too, for dirty screen, but, unless real 4k images, could show up posturization too.
pictures with phones, in the dark do tend to make things look worse too, to the benefit of the consumer, since most(all?) phones sensors and exposure control mechanism pretty primitive ... dslr on a tripod would be the killer ? not sure what vincent uses

Soldato

Here you go guys, some 4K coloured test images to find problems with 4K screens.

Also a tip when using the full black image to look for stuck pixels (bright red,green,blue white) turn the ambient light sensor off and set the local dimming to off too that way the back light is on full and never dims to find the stuck pixels.

Same with white set the above and look for dead pixels (black) and look for dirt under the screen.

The other colours are just for checking for other things that may come up or for pixels that work in a certain colour but will not work another colour.

The file is a zip file there is other 2 images there they are 1080p you will see them there too they are just test images for checking the greys and colour.

http://www.filedropper.com/tv4ktestimages

Back
Top Bottom