Spec me a Barbecue

Soldato
If you use the right fuel and arrange it in the right way with unlit coals too, it will burn for 5-6 hours easily. You can poke wood chips through the grates if necessary. The hinge IS useful, but you can get away without one IMO

I stick my wood (I use pellets now-a-days as it's cheaper and gives the same flavours) in a foil pouch directly above the charcoal on the grill, as it's dead space anyway. I normally just chuck some pellets on the coals to get it going straight away, being pellets they just fall through anyway.

Caporegime
OP
Just bought the hook tool holder and the small side table to put small bits of food down. I think these will be more useful than the hinge grate right now. Not exactly going to do a marathon BBQ all by myself any time soon.

Don't know if you have noticed, but there is a little hook inside the lid, near the vent, that you can use to hang the lid off the side of the bbq with.

Tell me about it, there are loads of accessories you can get, even a lid holder and you are right that there is a hook inside the lid to hook onto the handle, found that last night so you don't really need the lid holder for that.

Soldato
Damn this forum, I was going to get another cheapy gas bbq to replace ours that died on Saturday but now just spent £200 on a Weber bbq and lots of extras I don't need but felt compelled to buy!

Nice recommendation though with the Weber and that it lasts well.

Do people actually keep their BBQ's outside all year in all weathers (with cover of course)?

Man of Honour
Damn this forum, I was going to get another cheapy gas bbq to replace ours that died on Saturday but now just spent £200 on a Weber bbq and lots of extras I don't need but felt compelled to buy!

Nice recommendation though with the Weber and that it lasts well.

Do people actually keep their BBQ's outside all year in all weathers (with cover of course)?

Did you go for the HUKD deal? What extras did you get? :)

Many do leave their BBQs outside all year..with or without covers. Without is probably a bad idea of course :p

Soldato
Got the BBQworld deal, 57cm One-Touch Premium with chimney starter and cover plus I opted for the warming rack and the work table

I'm going to be storing it in my shed but just wondered how it weathered with the cover.

Caporegime
OP
Lol, that is the thing about this forum, there is always something better and you will get all the reasoning (albeit valid) to get something more than you need.

If someone go into the HiFi forum looking to get a Soundbar, he will be directed to a 5.1 system.
If someone go into the Photography forum looking for a nice compact, he would be directed to a similar price DSLR.

It is difficult to draw the line at what you need and what you want. The line between what will suffice at your original request and what would comfortably exceed it. It takes lots of will power to resist getting all the top end recommendations since in principle they are all good and valid advice. Especially if you don't have a concrete budget in the first place at the beginning.

I set out to get everything for £50. I end up spending £100. It could have easily been £200 for the premium.

That said, the advice in this thread is solid and invaluable and I for one would like to thank everyone here who helped :)

Soldato
That said, the advice in this thread is solid and invaluable and I for one would like to thank everyone here who helped :)

Agree, I have always worked by the rule that you get what you pay for but with the sheer diversity of interests/experience on here it doesn't take long before you get recommendations from people who actually own/use the kit in the same way you would.

This is why I steer clear of the motors forum as I've spent enough on cars over the years to be tempted again!!

Soldato
Lol, that is the thing about this forum, there is always something better and you will get all the reasoning (albeit valid) to get something more than you need.

If someone go into the HiFi forum looking to get a Soundbar, he will be directed to a 5.1 system.
If someone go into the Photography forum looking for a nice compact, he would be directed to a similar price DSLR.

It is difficult to draw the line at what you need and what you want. The line between what will suffice at your original request and what would comfortably exceed it. It takes lots of will power to resist getting all the top end recommendations since in principle they are all good and valid advice. Especially if you don't have a concrete budget in the first place at the beginning.

I set out to get everything for £50. I end up spending £100. It could have easily been £200 for the premium.

Every one of the Life forums... lol has me doomed.

I really want this smoker I'm looking at, but also would like the big green egg. I just can't justify the over 1k for it now, or tbh another BBQ (in the Mrs stakes) but I've now been reading FTs links on those temp control units and I'm planning. Have to try and have some restraint. Try. Hard.

Reckon you could use a raspberry pi to do temp controlling, connected to fan... accessible remotely when I'm at work :p

Caporegime
OP
Pics !!!

jY9bSk5.jpg

DjOxdN8.jpg

ANJ0Gh4.jpg

EHlax1o.jpg

cwa5eco.jpg

83thNBp.jpg

So, feedback...

I have to say, that chimney is amazing piece of kit, so simple in design yet so functional in practice. One firelighter inside a crunched up news paper and then left for 20 or so minutes and not have to touch it, then pour it out. Job done, no faff.

So glad I chose one with the lid, much better when cooking chicken, you just put the lid on and leave it for 15 minutes. its cooked on the inside, a little brown on the outside and still moist on the middle.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice one :)

Yup the chimney starter is brilliant, so much better than faffing around with lighter fluid etc. Also if you are slow-cooking it means you can renew the coals and get them cooking nicely before adding them to the BBQ.

Next stop - beer-can chicken :D

Man of Honour
Awesome work. Just got in from making some amazing peri-peri chicken on the BBQ. I strongly recommend it to anyone cooking chicken..ever :p

Your new BBQ setup looks great Raymond. I'm glad you're happy with your new setup :)

Not that I'm a huge fan but I wouldn't dismiss beer-can chicken due to not liking beer. It doesn't take on any flavours of the beer - it's just that the steam from it helps control the temperature of the BBQ and keep the chicken moist. It's great for cooking whole chickens :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
oh, I can totally see why the 57cm one is preferable but after today, I have no regret with mine. It is totally the first size for me and I have loads of food left over ! lol

p.s. will try peri peri chicken on a skewer next !

Ah, I'm sure the 47 is fine to be honest. It'll be a natural process to get upgraditis later on but by that point maybe you should consider a water smoker ;)

This isn't a great picture but here's what the leftover peri-peri thighs look like ready to go to work as part of my lunch tomorrow:

periperi.jpg

Seriously tasty (and insanely spicy using the chillies we got from Grillstock) :)

Every one of the Life forums... lol has me doomed.

I really want this smoker I'm looking at, but also would like the big green egg. I just can't justify the over 1k for it now, or tbh another BBQ (in the Mrs stakes) but I've now been reading FTs links on those temp control units and I'm planning. Have to try and have some restraint. Try. Hard.

Reckon you could use a raspberry pi to do temp controlling, connected to fan... accessible remotely when I'm at work :p

Only just saw this. I don't know what you've already got but having tried out the ProQ smoker recently I find it hard to imagine anything being better (I'm sure stuff is but the ProQ water smoker is a seriously awesome piece of kit. I'm so envious of uv on here for owning one).

You should *SO* get the PID set up...and then let me know how you did it so I can do the same ;)

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
Small hint I really only use one side for the coals and adjust distance, the grill eventually burns off the nice stainless coating and rusts, I've kept that side over the heat always then the cooking side stays non stick and I can just spin it round for burgers over the heat.

Caporegime
Small hint I really only use one side for the coals and adjust distance, the grill eventually burns off the nice stainless coating and rusts, I've kept that side over the heat always then the cooking side stays non stick and I can just spin it round for burgers over the heat.

Ah ha! See the coating is still on mine, albeit kind of grey...

:p Oh and happy last day mate ;)

Back
Top Bottom