Spec me a Barbecue

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Whoa, slow down a sec. Are you trying to say that gas is better than coal?! :p

Absolutely, ten times better and anyone who doesn't agree with me is a moron ;)

I agree with humous being awesome. I love the stuff...especially with roasted red pepper /nom.

One of my favourites too - with roast garlic and/or a little finely chopped chilli for a bit of bite.

Caporegime
OP

I saw that too, dammit :(

LOL

ah well.

Anyway, just built my 47cm one. was a little scary getting the legs on...thought I was going to snap something! Luckily it eventually all went in fine. Lovely thing it is too, glad I picked up a Weber now.

As for size, it is perfect size for my needs, there is enough surface area to cook for 4 people, it comes with coal divider rack thing so it will make half/half much easier :)

I plan to test it out tomorrow when a friend comes round but i am sure it'll be great !

Man of Honour
I saw that too, dammit :(

LOL

ah well.

Anyway, just built my 47cm one. was a little scary getting the legs on...thought I was going to snap something! Luckily it eventually all went in fine. Lovely thing it is too, glad I picked up a Weber now.

As for size, it is perfect size for my needs, there is enough surface area to cook for 4 people, it comes with coal divider rack thing so it will make half/half much easier :)

I plan to test it out tomorrow when a friend comes round but i am sure it'll be great !

It's always the way - as soon as you buy something some better offer comes along. I don't think you made a bad choice in just going for it when you did :)

Get some (non-blurry) pictures when you do use it. It'd be interesting to see how the size compares to some of the other BBQs I've seen.

Does the divider rack thing have a hinge so you can add more coals whilst the food stays on the other half of the rack? I've seen that in some videos and it looks extremely useful for a kettle style BBQ.

Man of Honour
No hinge, just 2 handles so it will be a 2 step process with taking off the rack and then adding the coal. It's no big deal really, a week ago I was using disposable and this is like a world away.

Yeah. I've not seen the hinged type 'in the wild' but I think they look useful. I'm sure the build quality and sturdiness of the grill is a huge improvement over disposables :)

Soldato
Yeah. I've not seen the hinged type 'in the wild' but I think they look useful. I'm sure the build quality and sturdiness of the grill is a huge improvement over disposables :)

I believe the hinged grill comes with the premium only, also I read elsewhere that if you order a replacement grill from Weber you get the hinged one. This is for the 57cm model though.

It is dead handy when smoking, for ease of adding charcoal and wood chunks :)

Caporegime
OP
A hinge one do sound very useful, well, especially if barbeque for ages or do lots of smoking. I guess I will see how this goes. I see this as a step into the BBQ world, I don't want to spend too much money (which I admit I am always guilty of that, buying more than I need, a big example is I have a Giant Trance X3 mountain bike - take a google how much that is worth :/ and it has only seen grass once.), otherwise it would be a waste, and if I do use it more and more, then I'll just upgrade :)

The 47cm should do 90% of what I want though, direct heat, indrect heat and smoke. I'll poke a smoke thermometre through the vent at the top..perhaps drill a hole ?

EDIT - just checked, you can upgrade the normal gril on the 47cm one to a hinge one too !

http://www.wowbbq.co.uk/products/weber-hinged-cooking-grate-47cm-7433--2070615.html

Problem solved !!!

Last edited:
Soldato
If you use the right fuel and arrange it in the right way with unlit coals too, it will burn for 5-6 hours easily. You can poke wood chips through the grates if necessary. The hinge IS useful, but you can get away without one IMO

Back
Top Bottom