Spec me Some Good Champagne

Soldato
You have many options, depends quite how sweet you would like really. On the high end of sweet, you have the "Riche" silver bottle of Veuve. I am not a fan, but hey, I don't like demi sec generally, it's too sweet for me. I like it dry as anything :)

Soldato
Well since i love to buy random crap and fill the house with it (much to the annoyance of my wife), i was in an antiques shop the other day and found this.

It has liquid in but i couldn't say if it seems like champagme or just water. I'm not opening it to find out!

Anyone know where i might be able to find some info on it? It's a 37.5ml half bottle and the main label is in surprisingly good condition compared to the neck labels.

ALxLvBr.jpg

Soldato
From my searching online I'd say from the 40s, would match with the design of the label. After that they removed the coast of arms and had the star on there. Though, this looks like a NV, which means it's clearly harder to nail down in age.

Soldato
I'm not sure it is, I just think that's more the age/ period of the label. It it was, it would show the vintage on the main label. I think, from my reading there, as a NV it wouldn't be worth more than a NV would today. Unfortunately.

Soldato
Nice! I can get it for 40EUR it says on vivino. Worth it?

I've had a fairly Champagney few weeks. Managed to get through a fair amount. No particular reason, but it's tipped me over the 200th rating on Vivino of Champagne so you know lol

Soldato
Not tried it yet, the wife wasn't feeling great Sunday night so wasn't feeling it. Might crack it open tonight. It is a Tuesday after all!

The guy in the shop was very complimentary about it though when i was asking him about a few which had caught my eye.

Soldato
Soldato
Haha yeah, you're making quite a budgetary leap there!

My days being able to ***** £100 on a bottle of champagne is over, for a while at least i imagine. Knew i should've taken the opportunity to get a magnum of Salon when i had the chance in Berlin, don't know when i'll be able to justify that again.

It's a shame but i think i'm going to have to just play it safe when 'm spending over £50 a bottle these days on the stuff i know i like like Gosset or the Ruinart, rather than getting something unknown

Back
Top Bottom