Spiders

Regularly moving large spiders from out of the house down here, yay warm south coast.

Loads of false widows around outside our place living in the soffits and sills that pop out at night.

Last time I was bitten (false widow), ended up on antibiotics.

One of my more normal sized (for here) house spider captures recently.
No images without spoilers please.

Just as a note, please refrain from posting pictures of things in a thread about fears without using spoilers.

One of the little ******** managed to escape the spider catcher last night.

Last edited:
Was sitting on the throne tonight doing my nightly ablutions when a spider popped out of nowhere to run towards me. Not a good time buddy. Spidey was evicted via the window.

It's now flying spider season. Have removed two Daddy Longlegs from the living room so far. Apparently they have a very toxic venom but have no way to administer it. I used to be terrified of these as a child and drove my parents mad if they were about. Still not over keen.

It's now flying spider season. Have removed two Daddy Longlegs from the living room so far.
I think your mixing up two different things - the crane fly (commonly called daddy long legs) and the actual daddy long legs spider or cellar spider

Apparently they have a very toxic venom but have no way to administer it.

*QI Forfeit Claxon*

Last edited:
I think your mixing up two different things - the crane fly (commonly called daddy long legs) and the actual daddy long legs spider or cellar spider

*QI Forfeit Claxon*
I am indeed referring to the Crane Fly. Always called them Daddy Longlegs as kid.

I don't recall where I heard about the nature of the poison but Google agrees they do not have venom.

It's now flying spider season. Have removed two Daddy Longlegs from the living room so far. Apparently they have a very toxic venom but have no way to administer it. I used to be terrified of these as a child and drove my parents mad if they were about. Still not over keen.
We used to catch and rip their legs off as kids, even had laminated cards as members of the ‘daddy long legs club’, we were 8/9 in primary, don’t worry I didn’t grow up as an evil mastermind

The spindly daddy long leg (Cellar) spiders are your friend. They'll pick off the others. You'd never guess by its appearance, but it will catch larger house/false widow spiders!

House spiders get a rough deal, they look scary but harmless. They'll normally leggit if they see you. Personally, if I stumble across one (or other spiders) catch, and chuck them out in the garden.

Now this is a spider, he was the size of my work access card. Yes he was clearly exhausted and hot so I moved him somewhere less lethal and a bit wetter.

9lO0iLZ.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My nan, when she was alive hated spiders. Me = I evict them with a glass tumbler & a bit of cardboard. When I was little I used to feed daddy long legs to the outside ones this time of year :p

I had one of these for a while before I sold it in a boot sale.

We used to catch and rip their legs off as kids, even had laminated cards as members of the ‘daddy long legs club’, we were 8/9 in primary, don’t worry I didn’t grow up as an evil mastermind
You're not the only one, my mum used to recall me ripping the legs off a daddy long legs while my younger female cousin watched on. We were about 8/9 didn't grow up evil.

I hate spiders but daddy long legs never used to frighten me, they're not a spider but a fly.

House spiders, as mentioned by others, do their best to stay out of your way. I have a few large ones in my garage. I'm not fussed by them even though they can bite us. The false Widows on the other hand, I do not like those.

I got bitten by a spider earlier this year and I'm pretty sure it'll have been a falsey. I noticed a funny raised bit of skin on my leg, touched it and it fell off leaving an odd looking wound. I then noticed tracking from it was a bruise and a few inches away a hardish lump forming. I took a picture of the mark and on zooming in two small holes could be seen. I washed it and slapped loads of savlon everywhere. Luckily it didn't get any worse and only tracked a few inches away from the initial bite.

Daisy, our cat just showed me the largest spider I have ever seen outside a zoo, in our bathroom. It was massive, about the size of my headphones cup on my over the head headphones. It made me go cold and had shivers. This monster was too big for the spider catcher and had to go in the vacuum cleaner. I could not risk it escaping. Jesus, I am still feeling cold and itchy from it.

Last edited:
Whenever I find one that has gone for a swim in the dogs water bowl and died they are always absolutely ginormous. I suspect the water bloats them up or something.

This is one of our false black widows:

Needless to say I don't leave gloves around and when I move stuff I have gloves on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a 8m x 2.7m and clad to a height of 2.5m garden room that needs the old board at the back removing and cladding from the other three sides replacing.
So today I did some measuring and the first piece of loose cladding I touched see a rather large False Widow pop out and casually walk along the edge, right level with my eyes :eek::eek::eek:

Now considering buying a flamethrower :D

Back
Top Bottom