Star Trek: Picard

Soldato
I also dont really get it with the way they think of the romulans at that time in the show as they were allies in the dominion war then in nemesis after shiinzon incident i would think they would have had favourable diplomacy with that women being part of the last of the romulan consul being a sorta friend now as she seemed high up enough to help relations after nemesis. It seemed after those two evens things were looking positive. Then this series is saying they were enemies and they shouldnt have helped them and that members of the federation saying it was them or us threats which i dont really buy.

Also will anything of nero and his borgified ship be mentioned or red matter or spock be mentioned as its about that time period now isnt it? Is vulkan still around or was it destroyed and its the jj time line still sorta? Its a bit confusing. Personally i hoped romulus was still around and was a alternate alternate timeline so prime time was never touched and there never was a supernova. Also how does a supernova in a different system even blow up romulus that was far away as im sure they never said it was the romulus systems sun that went nova just that a nova effected their planet somhow. That always got me wondering also.

Soldato
There was another sci-fi show (or maybe it was a film) which did something very similar. Can't remember it now...and it's annoying me.

I suppose it depends on how it's explained. If they'd said it was deleted security footage they'd managed to reconstruct, that's believable. If they just handwave some sci-fi magic and say "we can reconstruct the molecules", that's just lazy and dumb. Like the subsequent finding Soji by "finding where she's not", it shows the writers have trouble with a basic grasp of logic, let alone basic science. Is it really so difficult for the writers (of almost anything) to ask an IT guy to sanity check the computer BS?

Give us a reason that makes sense in the fictional universe, and it can be accepted. Handwave and give a reason that makes no sense in the fictional universe, and that's just sloppy and disrespecting the audience. It's the same problem they have in all the JJ and Kurtzman Trek. If it doesn't make sense, it doesn't matter as long as it looks cool.

Last edited:
Soldato
I also dont really get it with the way they think of the romulans at that time in the show as they were allies in the dominion war then in nemesis after shiinzon incident i would think they would have had favourable diplomacy with that women being part of the last of the romulan consul being a sorta friend now as she seemed high up enough to help relations after nemesis. It seemed after those two evens things were looking positive. Then this series is saying they were enemies and they shouldnt have helped them and that members of the federation saying it was them or us threats which i dont really buy.

Romulans have always been very secretive and suspicious, so it's seen that an uneasy alliance of necessity as per DS9 would not last nor be particularly friendly.

Also will anything of nero and his borgified ship be mentioned or red matter or spock be mentioned as its about that time period now isnt it? Is vulkan still around or was it destroyed and its the jj time line still sorta? Its a bit confusing. Personally i hoped romulus was still around and was a alternate alternate timeline so prime time was never touched and there never was a supernova. Also how does a supernova in a different system even blow up romulus that was far away as im sure they never said it was the romulus systems sun that went nova just that a nova effected their planet somhow. That always got me wondering also.

Different timeline. Romulus has been destroyed, Nero and Spock have disappeared to the past and split off into the Kelvin timeline, never to be seen again, and Vulcan was destroyed there. In the Prime timeline, Vulcan still exists. This again goes against previously established canon that changing your past also changes your present/future, but Kurtzman is ignoring that for Picard, though not for STD (because they are making up the rules as they go).

Last edited:
Caporegime
The romulans in the Dominion war were almost comical, they dedicated a couple of episodes (iirc) to bringing them into the war, yet anytime you seen a Warbird in battle (probably the largest and most powerful single ship of the allies) it was getting its ass kicked.:p

Just came across this image, it even makes the Negh Var look comically small.

http://i.imgur.com/PfMHd.jpg

Soldato
The romulans in the Dominion war were almost comical, they dedicated a couple of episodes (iirc) to bringing them into the war, yet anytime you seen a Warbird in battle (probably the largest and most powerful single ship of the allies) it was getting its ass kicked.:p

Just came across this image, it even makes the Negh Var look comically small.

http://i.imgur.com/PfMHd.jpg

Yeah romulan war birds more about intimidation, glass ships. Powerful disruptor but ships weren't tough.

Soldato
I like this but I really don't feel that trek works well with the whole dark and mysterious vibe, that was never really trek.

It just feels like they are shoving modern storytelling onto it and it doesn't really vibe well, maybe enough like this and it will take but just feels a little jarring.

As I said though, in and of itself it's fairly decent so far.

Caporegime
Totally, all aliens should speak English with an American accent, right?

That was the reason for the accent changes, that they would have been scattered around and learned the accents from where they were on the planet. 99% of the actors speaking with an american accent always did seem a bit dumb.

Caporegime
I'm guessing she's only part Romulan as well, doesn't have the head ridges that the male Romulan does that works with Picard.

This is the quote from the article about the accent.

"That scene was written differently," Chabon tells JOE. "She was supposed to say 'Those sneaky ********', but she said '******** doesn't sound right', so we asked 'What would?' and she said '****-ers!', so we said 'Okay!'"

"But we did, actually very consciously, feel that indigenous accents were okay," Goldsman adds. "Just as you have people that have learned English versus American, Romulans can have learned the language wherever they learned it, and as such could carry that accent, which for us was much more authentic than trying to create a kind of Anglicised, mid-Atlantic thing that often happens in science fiction."

Chabon continues: "Yeah, we have a very neutral ear, where if somebody has an American accent or a British accent, then we don’t care. Even though those are totally inconsistent, we accept them and we thought that doesn’t really make sense. So if we have this Irish actress, who has this gorgeous speaking voice, and that’s her natural way of speaking, there is no reason why she couldn't be a Romulan and speak that way."

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/star-trek-picard-ireland-691289

Soldato
Caporegime
Not all Romulans have the ridges. I think TNG was where they started. So some have them and some don't, likely Romulans from different places.

From what I remember about tng they all had them, cant remember any instances where they didn't, male or female. Its noticeable on her though as her buddy has them and it's an immediate noticable difference.

Back
Top Bottom