Star Trek : Strange New Worlds

Soldato
Even if some didn't enjoy the episode as a whole, I think the show runners knew they could make up for that somewhat with the Klingon pop at the end of the episode.

There are some scenes that I think pandered a little to fans of musicals, like the bar scene /Christine's song, but I think the idea was probably to reach a new audience.

The previous war episode strangely I didn't really enjoy, I think because much of the episode is essentially one long flashback and kind of like a prequel of a prequel.

Last edited:
Soldato
One thing I think the episode does well is developing the characters in a fairly concise way and showing self reflection - La'an is probably the best example and I found her desire to change made for compelling viewing.

The development of Spock's character has become a bit forced and too predictable at this point.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another thing that occurs to me is that they may be setting the show up to lead to a remake of the original series, under a (somewhat) altered timeline, some of the fans have pointed out some differences with the 'canon' compared to TOS.

Last edited:
Soldato
The showrunners have admitted they have changed a few Canon points to get things to fit in. However they also said they know where characters have to be by ToS and certain things that have to occur to get to that point. So from their point it is still the prime timeline just with a few edits to get their stories yo work how they wanted.

Last edited:
Soldato
and the musical episode of Scrubs which was superb.

So you should enjoy this episode!

Thought this was a fun episode and although very reminiscent of Broadway musical style songs, i don't think they are very memorable. Everyone is raving about Uhura's singing, but i think La'an hit it out of the park, she was amazing. Kirk was very good too. Was surprised with Pike, No1 and especially Spock!

Nurse Chapel - auto-tune heavy, but sultry, nom!! Could picture her in a 40's red dress purring into a microphone in a smokey bar.

Enjoyed that and some lighthearted relief after last weeks deeply depressing episode. Klingon K-Pop, probably the funniest thing I have ever seen on Star Trek.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyo
Soldato
I had the impression that she would have some form of singing background as her songs in the shows were pretty good and her annunciation while singing was something that you would expect of an actual singer, although in the show apart from uhura they seemed to have toned it down a fair bit.

Soldato
I'm going to have to go e this another go too.
I lost faith after discovery and Picard.

I will boldly go one more time...

I think it's one of the better ones in recent years.

Though I don't see why it had to be a reboot or why starships have turned into 7 star hotels with a zillion lights on every set.

Soldato
♪It might... be time to change my paradigm♪

Just realised that 'time' may relate to the watch (at least as a visual reference). D'oh!

Last edited:
Soldato
Very disappointed with the singing episode. Going too far imo.
Also, generally disappointed that we are once again following the Hollywood recipe of "exploring the crew" rather than exploring space.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom