****Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - Official Thread****

Soldato
How do you work that out then? You think they were expecting solo to do 1.2 billion dollars?

Solo was a film nobody wanted, that actually turned out ok.

Which made it the perfect "protest" film for disgruntled fans as a way of letting LF/Disney know of their general dissatisfaction with the way TLJ turned out without hurting the core SW franchise. As it created LF/Disneys first ever "SW Flop" it seems to have passed that message on quite well.

All of which is a shame because, as you mentioned, it's actually an OK film for the most part.

Caporegime
I'm not sure that narrative holds up to be honest

Even before I had watched TLJ, I had decided I most likely wouldn't rush to see it at the cinema and only ended up going because I get free cinema tickets (sort of, odeon limitless)

And yet I've seen TFA, Rogue One and TLJ at expensive IMAX cinemas in London as a special event.

Man of Honour
The real question is how will Rise of Skywalker fare following TLJ? It'll make a profit no doubt, Disney are too canny when it comes to making money. That's why we're seeing Lando, it's why they're bringing Palpatine back from the dead and it's why the last episode of the Skywalker saga will be a nostalgia fest, littered with callbacks to the past. Honestly just watch the promotional run-up to December, there will be cameos of a CGI Alec Guinness speaking to Rey, Yoda will be in the movie, they'll 100% have Vader make an appearance somewhere.

I would love all this. The problem is that any explanation to key questions like Rey’s parents, snoke etc will feel really tacked on if not done well. This trilogy has been a massively missed opportunity that has done nothing to move the story on. I feel this film will likely try to include three films in one. A real shame of what could have been. I have no doubt this one will be great on its own.

Don
A long time ago in a thread far, far away...

There was discussion about Star Wars Episode IX

Can we please get back on topic rather than bickering about racist casting, or whether the previous episode was terrible etc.

Otherwise I will be forced to unleash some "fully operational" thread bans :)

Soldato
A long time ago in a thread far, far away...

There was discussion about Star Wars Episode IX

Can we please get back on topic rather than bickering about racist casting, or whether the previous episode was terrible etc.

Otherwise I will be forced to unleash some "fully operational" thread bans :)

Sorry, just read this I was replying after clicking on the notification.

I'll pack in now, it's not worth it :p

Soldato
On topic.... I keep hearing comments about "the end" is this meaning the end of the new trilogy or they will now stop moving the story forward and instead start pottering around in the past?

Soldato
It’s the end of the skywalker saga which I think is a good thing. Far too much nostalgia around those characters.

They can then move on to new stories, characters and points in time of the star wars universe.

My favourite Star Wars experiences were playing through knights of the old republic 1 and 2 which have nothing to do with the skywalker’s

Soldato
It’s the end of the skywalker saga which I think is a good thing. Far too much nostalgia around those characters.

They can then move on to new stories, characters and points in time of the star wars universe.

I agree, they need to finish one story and start with a new one but I'm not sure the way LF/Disney has handled this is transition has been the best, as I can't see the new generation being as "adored" as the original ones so, for me at least, I think Ep IX will be a good place to stop watching, which feels like a massive shame to me.

Soldato

My favourite Star Wars experiences were playing through knights of the old republic 1 and 2 which have nothing to do with the skywalker’s

Messing with KOTOR will probably annoy more people :p

Probably need to come up with something completely and utterly unique but be interesting to see of they have the confidence to do that.

Soldato
I wasn’t suggesting they make that into a film, I was just saying my most ‘nostalgic’ Star Wars memories are not the original trilogy or any of the films in fact. :)

Caporegime

This trilogy should've done that with the first episode, not drag it out and then spend 2 hours talking about how we all need to let go.

Anyway, I hope it's given a good send off in the finale of the trilogy.

Soldato
Can’t please everyone, if Han, Leia, Luke, R2D2, C3PO, Chewy etc has been killed off or written out after the first episode there would have been utter outrage. There was loads or criticism for killing off just Han caused enough drama at the time even though it was well known before we went in he had only signed up for one movie.

Soldato
Can’t please everyone, if Han, Leia, Luke, R2D2, C3PO, Chewy etc has been killed off or written out after the first episode there would have been utter outrage. There was loads or criticism for killing off just Han caused enough drama at the time even though it was well known before we went in he had only signed up for one movie.

I think the plan, if I were in charge, would be -

Ep7 - Bring back all the OT cast right from the start whilst introducing the new cast
Ep8 - Have the OT cast start to take a step back and allow the new cast space to develop their own quirks so we're getting a 50/50 split
Ep9 - Have the OT cast bow out (dead, old age, happily ever after etc) whilst handing over to the fully developed new cast

However I'm just a fan so why would LF/Disney listen to me ;)

Regarding Ep9 it'll be interesting to see the state of the SW franchise once it solely rests on the shoulders of the new cast without the opportunity to bring the old cast back. I'm hoping the new generation of fans (I'd guess there is some) love SW as much as I loved I did.

Soldato
I think the plan, if I were in charge, would be -

Ep7 - Bring back all the OT cast right from the start whilst introducing the new cast
Ep8 - Have the OT cast start to take a step back and allow the new cast space to develop their own quirks so we're getting a 50/50 split
Ep9 - Have the OT cast bow out (dead, old age, happily ever after etc) whilst handing over to the fully developed new cast

However I'm just a fan so why would LF/Disney listen to me ;)

Regarding Ep9 it'll be interesting to see the state of the SW franchise once it solely rests on the shoulders of the new cast without the opportunity to bring the old cast back. I'm hoping the new generation of fans (I'd guess there is some) love SW as much as I loved I did.

I see your point but kids don't care about old cast. They needed a new generation not chubby geeks in their mid 40s who just download it from a torrent site.

They need to sell merchandise and all that fan fair around it.

Sadly they have failed in many aspects of compared to the marvel setup.

Soldato
They needed a new generation not chubby geeks in their mid 40s who just download it from a torrent site.

They need to sell merchandise and all that fan fair around it.

The new generation aren't buying anything though, and they are far more likely to be the torrenters rather than the 40+ folks who've been buying stuff for years and want to finish collections etc. Once they stop buying i dont see the newer generation "picking up the slack" in sales, hopefully I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom