** Star Wars Episode VII - SPOILERS WITHIN **

Soldato
Lucas obviously didn't get as good a deal as Jobs did when he sold Pixar I guess. Jobs sold Pixar for $10m and got a massive amount of shares in Disney which are now worth roughly £4bn and a place on the board. Poor Lucas.

In all seriousness though, I think ep 7,8 and 9 will **** all over the EU in the same way that the Clone Wars show did with the Republic Commando novels. I can't see them using the original characters at all either, Ford, Hamill and Fisher are all ancient now and I doubt they'd have an inclination to take up their former roles again. This pretty much rules out the Thrawn Trilogy and anything prior to the Legacy era of the EU (Cade Skywalker etc.).

If they do something in the timeline where Luka, Leia and Han are still alive, I'm pretty sure they'll concentrate on completely new characters and just give reference to the originals for continuity. Even if they concentrated on the Solo kids, they'd have a tough time not including Han, Leia and Luke in the films as their stories are so heavily intertwined. Interesting times nonetheless, and I'm very very much looking forward to 2015.

Edit: As to the gents above discussing NJO, I'm sure this is the first positive feedback I've heard about NJO from anyone other than myself! I loved that series, warts and all. The Star Wars universe has never seemed so brutal as it was in that era... I'd honestly love to see it in film, I just can't see it happening without Luke et al. :(

I think Lucas has enough money as it is, and he created Pixar so we should thank him over and above Steve Jobs anyway.

Soldato
if they used other actors to play the main cast, all i would be thinking during the film would be, Thats not Han Solo. Thats not Han Solo...

Im sure he didnt just sell out for 4 billion, he stated in the video he was sure Disney would look after his retirement. Plus hes already stinking rich.

Soldato
I personally think if it's set too soon after ROTJ to use the current actors, then CGI is the way to go. We're really not that far away from perfect CGI and it's about time someone stepped cinema up a couple notches just like the original and prequel trilogies did. James Cameron can't have all the fun.

daz

daz

Soldato
Compare Marvel movies of the last 10 years with those made using their characters previously and it's plain to see that Disney will look to maximise the value of the franchise and the Star Wars universe. Can't wait to see what comes of this, it's very exciting.

Man of Honour
Can't be worse than GL recent mingling.
Even if they are rpterriabl I'll just stop watching the new ones. I'm not one of these people who think bad sequals somehow make the original films worse.

+1
For wanting to see Mara jade

Literally hundreds of films they can make.

As I said in other thread, I would have proffered series that follow the books closely at it means you have more screen time than it takes to read a book. But doing a film you have to compress the book by a factor of 6.

Associate
In the interview Lucas said the idea was to finish the story from the original characters, so it would have to be pre Legacy someone in the timeline. I will just find it weird using other actors, I don't think I could get my head around it. Even on book covers they have old representations of the original actors. In my head when I read the books that's how I see them and have for nearly 30 years.

For me I don't think it will work.

Yeah the NJO...

Was an awesome set of books for me. So many awesome characters came of age and imagine how good Anakins 'last stand' would be on film. All my favs are great in that series of books. Nice and dark as well with the breakings of Jacen. I've really enjoyed the Fate of the Jedi series but NJO was my fav post ROTJ. I really didn't like the Cadeus storylines, they wimped out on Luke killing him with the BS excuse that killing him would be revenge and a slip to the darkside.

Hmm could you link that interview please? This is the one I've seen, and I heard no mention of him finishing the story with the original characters: http://youtu.be/YyqlTi7lkhY

Would be very very interesting if it were true, I'm still very very excited to see what 2015 brings, it can't come around too soon! :)

I'm the same, I envisage the original characters as they originally looked when reading the novels, although with some of the covers depicting them as aged it helps a little to change their images in my mind. :) I just don't think they could pull it off using new actors, and I really dislike the idea of CGI'd faces a la Tron Legacy/Looper... God knows what they'll do, but I'm still more excited than scared of the concept of new treatments for our beloved characters.

Back to NJO:
I really enjoyed reading through the characters maturing too, I was totally bummed about Anakin. It was some top notch storytelling and I was engaged throughout. There were a few odd books in the 19 book series that just didn't quite cut it, but with the amount of authors writing for it, continuity issues are really not surprising in the slightest! But yes, the dark, oppressive feel to the books were exactly the direction I wanted to see the Star Wars saga to go.

I have to admit to being a little disappointed by the newer series, Dark Nest was absolutely horrific, but LotF I actually really enjoyed - I liked the fact that it was Jaina in the end that took him down, it made for some difficult reading (in a good way). I've been struggling through some of the novels in FotJ, last I finished was Conviction and I'm taking a break from it now to read some 40k novels, will go back to it soon to finish off Ascension/Apocalypse, looking forward to them tbh. :D

daz

daz

Soldato
A Game of Thrones style series (in terms of budget, and grandeur) for a particular story/arc would be pretty awesome.

Caporegime
Hmm could you link that interview please? This is the one I've seen, and I heard no mention of him finishing the story with the original characters: http://youtu.be/YyqlTi7lkhY

Would be very very interesting if it were true, I'm still very very excited to see what 2015 brings, it can't come around too soon! :)

It was this interview I saw..

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/blog/disney-acquire-lucasfilm

But as for him saying the 9 films were Lukes story, that's something I saw/read elsewhere a while ago. As we have seen GL will change his mind, it was not that long ago he said he had left instructions that no more could be made.

I can see how you can link the next 3 without Han, Luke and Leia. With a bit of Lando ;)

NJO

The darknest was horrific, I agree. What I didn't like with legacy was Luke was able to throw Jacen about on will. But to make it a story they had to come up with some reason why Luke didn't take down Jacen. So they came up with that sword of the Jedi nonscence :( I hope they do some books on Jacens 5 year journey though. I wasn't a big fan of Jaina so I'd rather Jacen cut her in two :D

Sadly the writers planned much more for Anakin but Lucas made them kill him :(

Fate of the Jedi I must admit I have been getting on audio book now they are doing them unabridged. The voice acting and flow (16 hours per book) has probably made them better than they are. I can't put the last one down. Abeloth is an interesting one. Should be finished this week :)

Soldato
I'd love to see someone like Christopher Nolan take the reins of the Star Wars franchise, but I think his duties lie more with Warner Brothers... Still, I guess it's possible Joss Whedon could inject some life into it, after all he did quite a good job with Fire Fly and Serenity, but again he is tied to The Avengers and now the new SHIELD TV series..

Soldato
I think Joss Whedon would make time in his schedule for Star Wars :)

I'm starting to get a good feeling about it actually. As somebody already said, Disney know what people thought of the prequels and I doubt they'll just churn something rubbish out. As long as they keep Lucas as far away from the sets and edit room as possible I can't see how they could make anything worse than the PT.

Oh, and I'll get stick I know, but I can't stand any of the EU stuff so I hope they stay away from that and come up with something new.

Associate
I'm starting to get a good feeling about it actually. As somebody already said, Disney know what people thought of the prequels and I doubt they'll just churn something rubbish out.

Taken from IMDB

The Phantom Menace

Box Office
Budget: $115,000,000
Opening Weekend: $22,469,932
Gross: $506,618,295

Attack of the Clones

Box Office
Budget: $115,000,000
Opening Weekend: $80,027,814
Gross: $649,398,328

The Revenge of the Sith

Budget: $113,000,000
Opening Weekend: $108,435,841
Gross: $848,754,768

Now even if they aren't current and they are ball park Disney won't give a flying hoot about anything as they know SW is a cash cow, I do hope you're wrong.

Soldato
This is going to be horrific :(

Someone told me about this earlier. I sighed for five minutes.

Yes, what Lucasfilm had done with episode I,II,III and everything else Star Wars was horrific.

But, that said, at least there wasn't going to be any more Star Wars... Now, I mean... *sigh*

Disney have dine some dire films previously :(

I have little faith in them as an individual film company, mind you, some of the film companies they own are still producing good things...

I think I'd rather they did a completely different them in a different time rather than a continuation of the existing story line.

kd

Back
Top Bottom