** Star Wars Episode VII - SPOILERS WITHIN **

Soldato
The back catalogue of films that have been produced by Lucasfilm is not what they bought the company for.

The rights to Star Wars alone, as the biggest movie franchise in history are worth buying the company for and that is of course one of the main reasons.

Further to that, the other big one which gets less press in the mainstream news media is that the purchase also includes Industrial Light & Magic. Disney now own the biggest and most in demand VFX House in the industry.

The thought came to mind whether he would have got more had the first three films (Eps 1-3) been better received by the fans.

I think it was a good thing to be honest. Disney tend to do a good job on the whole (definitely some exceptions) but I've often thought they could have done at least another trilogy (eps 7-9 possibly).

Caporegime
http://uk.eonline.com/news/358685/star-wars-7-plot-will-be-an-original-story-says-lucasfilm-source

'Source' saying it won't be anything from the books but a whole new plot.

So is that the basis for Episode 7 or not? I've heard directly from LucasFilm and other sources close to the picture, and they say: Definitely not.
In other words, forget the Star Wars novels. Forget the graphic novels. Forget everything you think you know about what happens to Luke Skywalker. According to my sources, Episode 7 will literally be nothing you've ever seen or read before from the Star Wars universe.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I know some will be howling at that, but it makes sense really. Those who aren't so aware of the books/novels or even the animated series won't really know any better, and the hardcore fans... do they really just want to see a current storyline they already know turned into movies? And if that was what happened, would they do anything more than complain that they should have done a different storyline or lament the parts that were left out?

One concept that stuck in my mind was from the start of the game Jedi Academy where an older Luke Skywalker is training new apprentices (and I'm guessing this exists in the books to some extent too). Would be nice to see at least part of a film based on that.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think that there can be any possible outcome from this that keeps everyone happy, apart from Disney/Lucas who will be creaming in the $$$.

Caporegime
OP
I think it's sensible. It won't diminish the books at all. I'd much rather see a new story than see them struggle to adapt an extensive story from one medium to another while trying to keep both EU fans and film fans happy...that's just a recipe for disaster.

Much like the Marvel film universe is seperate from the comics.

Associate
Totally agree, every father I talk to says their son prefers the newer trilogy. These are kids the same age as when most of us got the original three. Personally I think revenge of the sith is as good as the original three but the first two are so bad. Watch some of the behind the scenes with Lucas directing Hayden and he practically has to guide him through blinking and breathing, where Ewan nails obi wan.

Yep, my 9 year old loves 1-3 (but not Jar Jar, thankfully) and the animated Clone Wars but can't stand 4-6. Says they look old fashioned!

Associate
I'm still not sure what I think of this to be honest. I loved the OT and I'm not sure other movies need to be made to be honest. However I don't know enough about the expanded Star Wars universe to know if there are other great stories out there to be told.

Having a whole new story not tied to the other movies will be hard I think. People are so used to these characters and it I don't think it will be as easy a sell if you don't have some sort of storyline tie in between all the movies.

Caporegime
I know some will be howling at that, but it makes sense really. Those who aren't so aware of the books/novels or even the animated series won't really know any better, and the hardcore fans... do they really just want to see a current storyline they already know turned into movies? And if that was what happened, would they do anything more than complain that they should have done a different storyline or lament the parts that were left out?

One concept that stuck in my mind was form the start of the game Jedi Academy where an older Luke Skywalker is training new apprentices (and I'm guessing this exists in the books to some extent too). Would be nice to see at least part of a film based on that.

Yes I agree, as long as it fits in with the current canon story lines. I have no issue slotting in a new story but I will be a bit dissapointed if it doesn't fit the canon story of the expanded universe.

As for just remaking the books, well Harry Potter fans didn't seem to mind films being made of books they had already read.

That Jedi academy game is pretty much canon in the books as well. Jaden is in the books as is Kyle Katarn.

Soldato
I hope they dont use any EU stuff - most of it is fanboy garbage where they clone anyone and everyone to get around them being dead :confused:

borrowing bits or characters for a particular story would be fine imho, but wouldnt want to see DV or emperor again for example

this worked good for latest batman films (using concepts or bits from newer comics like knightfall or dark knight returns) so could work here

Last edited:
Caporegime
I hope they dont use any EU stuff - most of it is fanboy garbage where they clone anyone and everyone to get around them being dead :confused:

Well hardly a surprise as cloning was such a huge part of that era :p
There are 3 clones post ROTJ off the top of my head and about 4 million in the official films not inclucing Boba ;)

Most of it is fanboy garbage? Yet you have read it all, even though you don't like it. Strange waste of time :confused:

Soldato
http://uk.eonline.com/news/358685/star-wars-7-plot-will-be-an-original-story-says-lucasfilm-source

'Source' saying it won't be anything from the books but a whole new plot.

So is that the basis for Episode 7 or not? I've heard directly from LucasFilm and other sources close to the picture, and they say: Definitely not.
In other words, forget the Star Wars novels. Forget the graphic novels. Forget everything you think you know about what happens to Luke Skywalker. According to my sources, Episode 7 will literally be nothing you've ever seen or read before from the Star Wars universe.

Thank god!

I'm really looking forward to finding out some of the details - director, cast, etc. That should happen pretty quickly if they're aiming for a 2015 release (bet it gets delayed...) and I think we'll know quite quickly what direction this is all heading in.

Soldato
Well hardly a surprise as cloning was such a huge part of that era :p
There are 3 clones post ROTJ off the top of my head and about 4 million in the official films not inclucing Boba ;)

Most of it is fanboy garbage? Yet you have read it all, even though you don't like it. Strange waste of time :confused:

my point was more that because cloning exists in the films that any person that gets killed off can be reintroduced when ever they like

i seem to remember a clone of luke fighting a clone of vadar or something ? :rolleyes:

yeah I read a bit of it when I was a kid, a lot of it is just recycled ideas from the original films or "clones omg"

truce of bakura had some ok bits, but the new enemy they created was poor

heir to the empire trilogy was ok, some good characters here and there

liked shadows of the empire

read some comic book of dark empire - liked the eclipse and inner galaxy core stuff, didnt like cloned emperor or world eater (death star by another name) stuff

as for books with lukes children - oof :p

I think kotor would be a better direction

Caporegime
You just read the early stuff, which from what you have listed only the thrawn trilogy was any good.

I didn't like the comic stuff at all, like dark empire, but that's probably 17 or more years old now. Myself I'm not a huge fan of the Kotor stories other than the original game. The Revan story was a bit dull in the end :(

Caporegime
Yeah as I said I would be happy for other stories but would prefer them to fit in with whats already available. I think that's what they will do reading bits a pieces today. I think that market is just too big to pee all over. The only stories I would like to see made from the EU are the Academy trilogy or Vong invasion. Other than that I'd take new stories.

I've a feeling, a hunch that Hamill will be used. He could probably do with the cash ;)

Back
Top Bottom