Star Wars: The Acolyte (it’s dead Jim)

Watched the first episode and yeh it was pretty good as a first episode goes and give you something to come back to.

The set dressing, costumes and special effects were very well polished for a TV series.

7/10 for me so far

Not bad. Thought it would have been better to go down the
PTSD and Force projection dream/nightmare scenario as I figured a Sister would be in there somewhere
but production values look good and I'm interested. Loved the fact that they hardly used lightsabers as well.

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

In this case, I’d suggest it’s the toxic fan base.

It’s a bit of a stretch to suggest a few snippets of an interview re-posted without context on twitter are a part of disneys marketing push.

If they weren’t posted here, I doubt I would ever have even seen the original piece and few others would have either.

I'd say it's the toxic influencers at Disney. The fans have been there for 40 years, the woke idealogues arrived only recently.

Ditto Doctor Who.

They care nothing for these IP's, but lacking the talent to create anything new of their own have decided to leech off them. Like the parasites they are.

Highlight of the first two episodes for me was actually seeing someone wearing a spacesuit in a Star Wars story. Up to now, apart from Stormtrooper style outfits which are presumably integrated with a breather, it's something the franchise has avoided.

As regards the rest, well seems a bit formulaic. Probably going to see the Sith make an appearance, at least that's what looks like it's leading up to. But thus far no Andor or Boba Fett, that's for sure. (Or even on a par with animated Bad Batch which got nice and dark in its final season).
Ashoka wore a space helmet while on top of her ship, killing a fighter ship with her saber while her mate fixed their completely broken ship by just pressing all the buttons so at least they brought that bit of realism into it eventually.

Born in the 70's SW has always felt part of my life and like most on here, constantly try and compare to eps 4 & 5 which it will never be again. They were amazing and rightly stand the test of time but lets be honest, it's all a bit silly. I recently re-watched ROTJ and that's not even in the same league as the other two. I've quite enjoyed all the spin off series, I also liked the newer films which I feel come in for a bit more criticism than other franchises simply for carrying the SW name as those of us of a similar age seem to think that they owe us something. We are like junkies trying to chase that very first high. Hopefully a few more episodes of Acolyte are released by the time I have finished Ashoka and I look forward to watching it. :)

Enjoyed the first 2 episodes, initial impressions and fire in space aside is its no Endor but heading in a better direction than Ahsoka & the later Mandalorian seasons, the less said about Obi Wan the better i think!

The prequels are god like compared to nearly anything not animated Disney make.....
It's unbelievable how badly they let her run star wars to be unprofitable and her own vanity project.

I'm going to watch the acolyte now.... :p

How is that relevant to Star Wars, that’s an interview from 2018.

This is the problem with people who want to dunk on things for the sake of it - they’ll use any out of context thing to fit the narrative they’ve made from themselves. Rather than just reviewing the content itself.

It’s ok to just not like something you know, without the song and dance about how “they left have ruined everything with their woke attitude “.

Personally I’m not a fan of a lot of brand new stuff. Mostly because the writing is terrible (overall), rather than a character being gay/black/trans/an apache helicopter etc. and I personally think that’s the problem with some of the criticism being levelled - it’s as lazy as the writing, as throwing the anti-woke sentiment guarantees engagement

I'd say it's the toxic influencers at Disney. The fans have been there for 40 years, the woke idealogues arrived only recently.

Ditto Doctor Who.

They care nothing for these IP's, but lacking the talent to create anything new of their own have decided to leech off them. Like the parasites they are.

It’s totally fine to not like the story that’s been written. Not every story needs to go in the direction you want it to go in and it’s fine to have an opinion about it.

However once your criticism starts banging on about ‘woke ideologies’ (what does this mean?) and ‘toxic Disney influencers’ (what does this also mean?) you move beyond objective criticism of a story and into a toxic culture war. It probably says more about you than anything else.

Likewise, if you think you can do better, instead of slinging ‘woke’ insults from the sidelines, how about you go ahead and write a story and pitch it to the producers.

Back to the Acolyte, those who have watched it, do you agree with a 1/10 rating from many of the early Star Wars ‘fans’ - e.g is this one of THE worst pieces of visual media that has ever been produced?

How is that relevant to Star Wars, that’s an interview from 2018.

This is the problem with people who want to dunk on things for the sake of it - they’ll use any out of context thing to fit the narrative they’ve made from themselves. Rather than just reviewing the content itself.
And here is the context (she was responding to Trevor Noah's joke)

Amandla Stenberg's newest movie The Hate U Give follows high schooler Starr Carter (played by Amandla), whose life changes when police shoot and kill her unarmed friend Khalil.

While talking with Trevor Noah on the Daily Show on Oct. 16 Amandla pinpointed a marker of the movie's impact. “I saw people cry in the cinema,” Trevor said during the interview.

Amandla then agreed, adding, “We have a lot of white people crying, which is great. I’ve never seen so many white people crying before."

Trevor also asked how the actor would measure success “beyond the white people crying.”

Laughing, Amandla responded, “White people crying actually was the goal!” She explained further, noting: “We wanted to make sure that those who have been affected by the ways the media misconstrues these events actually have a real sense of empathy and are able to place themselves into the shoes of our communities.”

ePISODE 1...

Its ok... Squidgame Jedi is "good" Everyone else comes across way too young and inexperienced an actor, hopefully that doesn't annoy me too much.
Main Goodie/baddie woman probably had fun doing 2 roles. But the writers have made her so cheesy/corny lol)
Bit cliche but its star wars... I actually liked the interaction with "normal people, lots of back ground stuff"
The overall aesthetic is ... Its like Fallout/ mixed with buck rogers (1930s :p ) Very old colour schemes a kind of "Bakelite" feel to it lol
Somethings not right with the clarity/colour film pallete very red/brown so far.... a bit....
WAY too many English accents... that just screams imperial to me lol

now to watch episode 2...

Oh jeez well the acting of the "younger" characters is on par with garbage as usual. The writing is on par with previous garbage. Watching each other with binoculars 20m away lol
The story is "interesting" the young english girl/orange stripe is awful.
Its so clunky.....
Pros to it for being original and an original timeline but..... roll on episode 3 i guess.

Last edited:
Ref VH
I stand very corrected.
It’s ok to just not like something you know, without the song and dance about how “they left have ruined everything with their woke attitude “.

Personally I’m not a fan of a lot of brand new stuff. Mostly because the writing is terrible (overall), rather than a character being gay/black/trans/an apache helicopter etc.
Fair enough, and yes.
But a lot of this seems to be going in one direction to suit whatever narrative seems trendy at the time.
God only what’s next.

And here is the context (she was responding to Trevor Noah's joke)

Amandla Stenberg's newest movie The Hate U Give follows high schooler Starr Carter (played by Amandla), whose life changes when police shoot and kill her unarmed friend Khalil.

While talking with Trevor Noah on the Daily Show on Oct. 16 Amandla pinpointed a marker of the movie's impact. “I saw people cry in the cinema,” Trevor said during the interview.

Amandla then agreed, adding, “We have a lot of white people crying, which is great. I’ve never seen so many white people crying before."

Trevor also asked how the actor would measure success “beyond the white people crying.”

Laughing, Amandla responded, “White people crying actually was the goal!” She explained further, noting: “We wanted to make sure that those who have been affected by the ways the media misconstrues these events actually have a real sense of empathy and are able to place themselves into the shoes of our communities.”

Exactly. Context is everything. Not that it matters to the rabid mob on Twitter/X that are losing their minds over it. :rolleyes:

Usual woke war types getting all mouth foamy

its not bad at all

its maybe not very interesting though? no real hook yet, maybe too early to say? Andor was a bit like that at first and turned into something great
Also it has about 0% of hype which is maybe good? Having a hype reason to watch like "OMG ewan is back" or "Ashoka in live action" etc didnt really help
I still just want KOTOR story retold in a series...

Seen the first episode and it is perfectly fine to me. The very end bit was a bit abrupt but I guess they expect you to watch the two episodes back to back? Certainly no one stuck out as awful, all competent actors as far as I can see.

Back
Top Bottom