Star Wars: The Acolyte (it’s dead Jim)

Par for the course these days. The fan base is more toxic than ever.
Yep

People say they would rather trust user reviews, than critics

That might be true over time, but not early doors when people can rate a show 1/10 without even watching it.

At least critics get a significant amount of the show up front. Empire gave it 3/5 which is not exactly a great score - but the review states they have seen 4/8 episodes.

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

In this case, I’d suggest it’s the toxic fan base.

It’s a bit of a stretch to suggest a few snippets of an interview re-posted without context on twitter are a part of disneys marketing push.

If they weren’t posted here, I doubt I would ever have even seen the original piece and few others would have either.
I disagree ... the toxicity is being used as a tactic by Disney. It's commonplace if you follow social media. Idiotic behaviour on both sides of the fence that just creates division ( and an alibi for Disney et al should their shows fail ).

I disagree ... the toxicity is being used as a tactic by Disney. It's commonplace if you follow social media. Idiotic behaviour on both sides of the fence that just creates division ( and an alibi for Disney et al should their shows fail ).
I do not follow mainstream social media, even if I did, I’d avoid topics like Star Wars because it’s just full of utter tripe.

I’d literally feel my brain cells cry out in pain as they died inside me.

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

In this case, I’d suggest it’s the toxic fan base.

It’s a bit of a stretch to suggest a few snippets of an interview re-posted without context on twitter are a part of disneys marketing push.

If they weren’t posted here, I doubt I would ever have even seen the original piece and few others would have either.

Are they really toxic or just passionate?

when the source material is being ignored or completely disrespected, they will speak out.

It happens time and time again, a studio/developer create a product the target audience are not interested in, or diverge so far from the original that the target audience just aren't interested, then blame the target audience for it's failure. If you make a product I am interested in, I will buy it. If you don't then I won't.

Last edited:
Why does the sex of the sith lord matter to you?

It doesn’t - it’s disney’s approach to following a formulaic model that does. I don’t think we’ll see a bad person driven by upbringing and reflecting fear for their own pleasure/desires which is what a Sith is. To a sith it’s not a fight of good and evil.. it’s enforcement of domination and control as the single indivdual point of power in the universe. Every sith lord corrupts and kills their master/acolytes.

if they have turned to the good side then how does a sith make up for it? Are they locked up? No.. the good side seems to forgive a life of destruction and killing :) … nope that seems disney aligned.. kill a population of the planet.. switch to the good side.. all good.

Last edited:
Didn't even realise this was out yet. I've no idea what it's about other than the original trailer.

It'll take some doing to top Andor but as long as it's more interesting than Obi-Wan or the 2nd Mandalorian season, I'll see it through to the end

Many of the 1/10 reviews seem attack Kennedy or have a social justice agenda rant. Now the dialog may be rubbish or the acting wooden but once you start writing stuff like that, you lose any credibility and just make the ‘fanbase’ come across as toxic.

I’ll probably watch it later tonight if I get time.
I've just been through 9, 1/2 star reviews and I have not seen any of them that focus on this outside of 1 or 2 sentences. Even sorting to only show the 1 star reviews, shows the same trend. I think you're exaggerating the extent of this and or simply chosing to focus on it.

I never said they focused on it your implying things that were not written.

It could have only been a few words over a much longer ‘review’ but you still lose any credibility.

To add to the above, many of the one star ratings post seemingly some positive comments within their negative comments. Yes the negative outweighs the positive but how does that translate to 1 on a scale of 1-10, particularly given most people would consider anything below 6 or 7 to be a fail.

One star ratings which contradict the supporting narrative also lack credibility and indicate the rating comes across as agenda driven.

I’d say the same about the 9/10 star reviews where the content is clearly far from perfect. No credibility.

Yes I know we live in an all or nothing polarised world where nuance and reasoned arguments are shunned but that’s why user reviews are not particularly reliable.

Watched the first episode, was enjoyable but too early to say whether it'll go the way of Andor or Boba Fett. Cast is pretty good, like Lee Jung-Jae as a jedi master and the main actress seems good. Didn't realise Dafne Keen was in this too. The fight at the start was cool, a bit of Trinity rolling back the years :D

Don't know much about the High Republic so can't comment on anything from the books but the sets and costumes all seemed fine.

I've just been through 9, 1/2 star reviews and I have not seen any of them that focus on this outside of 1 or 2 sentences. Even sorting to only show the 1 star reviews, shows the same trend. I think you're exaggerating the extent of this and or simply chosing to focus on it.
Because they know if they focus exclusively on attacks their ‘reviews’ will be removed so they mark it one star and fill it with ‘genuine’ remarks, despite not having seen it.

Watched the first episode, was enjoyable but too early to say whether it'll go the way of Andor or Boba Fett. Cast is pretty good, like Lee Jung-Jae as a jedi master and the main actress seems good. Didn't realise Dafne Keen was in this too. The fight at the start was cool, a bit of Trinity rolling back the years :D

Don't know much about the High Republic so can't comment on anything from the books but the sets and costumes all seemed fine.
The high republic era is one sadly much ignored by tv and movies.

Was that the fire in space scene where they then used a fire extinguisher to deprive the fire of oxygen and thus putting it out?
Naah. This can't be right. Please tell me you've misunderstood the scene or something. They couldn't have been that stupid surely.

Do you reckon George Lucas regrets selling to these clowns? Yeah the money was great, but he's had to sit and watch his creation slowly get destroyed. That's got to hurt.

Back
Top Bottom