Star Wars: The Acolyte (it’s dead Jim)

CSI: Far Far Away alternate title for the series :D I think a murder mystery setting is quite good premise set in the Star Wars universe.

The thing about Star Wars is....they are classic movies, but they haven't aged well.

I don't mean political correctness, I just mean that it's nearly 50 years since Star Wars was released. They were absolutely revolutionary at the time, there was nothing else quite like it (If you ignore the links to Flash Gordon serials, Hidden Fortress and the Dune books)

I watch the originals less and less as time goes by. I think I showed them to my wife just before the release of Episode VII

I was an 80's kid, I absolutely loved Star Wars and played with all the toys and played Star Wars in the playground. By the 1997 re-releases Lucas was already messing around with them and including dodgy CGI. Then the Prequels were all a load of old ****, this was basically me:

I even have fond memories of The Force Awakens at the IMAX in London, I came out feeling like JJ Abrams had nailed it and that Star Wars was back, but even when I re-watched it a second time at my local cinema a week later, it actually wasn't anywhere near as good as I remember, and that might have been the last time I watched it.

So anyway, I don't think Disney have ruined Star Wars - There's some good and some bad.

I just think Star Wars hung around for decades because there wasn't much that was comparable.

I intend to watch the first two episodes of this over the weekend.

Last edited:
This is a thread about the show, so how is it not relevant to talk about that?
Because then this thread becomes a clone of every other Star Wars / Marvel / Disney thread going round in circles talking about the same generic arguments to do with wokeness / gender etc, rather than talking about the actual show.

Disney have loaded this show with their politics, literally made it all about gender identity politics. This is a thread about the show, so how is it not relevant to talk about that?
Star Wars has always been incredibly multicultural. And had powerful female figures before the sequels. The almost exclusively male cast in the original trilogy was how Hollywood worked then rather than any actual decision by Lucas or the studio.

So it makes me wonder what the ideal SW show would be to appease the ‘fans’. Exclusively white male Jedi doing Jedi things?

Andor - gritty ww2 style best star wars in ages.
The empire and rebellion is by far the best star wars. Very little magic. thats why 1 or 2 jedi is enough...
As for other force wielders/users i was hoping where this series is going
Ashoka touched on it. Hopefully that will go that route.
SWKOTR not cannon though. Too many old ends and not really original.

Last edited:
Anyway, it's over 24 hours since release:

Can't believe that Carrie Ann Moss was just a cameo! Absolutely gutted, although maybe she will appear in flashbacks

And Squid Game man's padwan, under all the make-up, is the young girl who played Laura (X-23) in Logan! (Dafne Keen).

And the seats that turn into pilot droids animation/transition was pretty impressive.

rp2000

I don't bemoan women or any other actors.

I bemoan the weaponising and repurposing of a beloved IP.

Anyway, I've said enough.

You've literally picked the most broad and inclusive SciFi franchise ever created to plant your flag in my guy.

Anyway, I'm as guilty as the rest at dragging this thread off topic so will keep out until watched this weekend.

Dafne Keen was also Lyra in the excellent His Dark Materials adaptation. She's been great in everything I've seen her in.

Last edited:
Anyway, good to see a lightsaber being used as a light.

edit:spelt lightsaber wrong, glad I spotted, as I shudder to think....

Last edited:
The thing about Star Wars is....they are classic movies, but they haven't aged well.

I don't mean political correctness, I just mean that it's nearly 50 years since Star Wars was released. They were absolutely revolutionary at the time, there was nothing else quite like it (If you ignore the links to Flash Gordon serials, Hidden Fortress and the Dune books)

I watch the originals less and less as time goes by. I think I showed them to my wife just before the release of Episode VII

I was an 80's kid, I absolutely loved Star Wars and played with all the toys and played Star Wars in the playground. By the 1997 re-releases Lucas was already messing around with them and including dodgy CGI. Then the Prequels were all a load of old ****, this was basically me:

I even have fond memories of The Force Awakens at the IMAX in London, I came out feeling like JJ Abrams had nailed it and that Star Wars was back, but even when I re-watched it a second time at my local cinema a week later, it actually wasn't anywhere near as good as I remember, and that might have been the last time I watched it.

So anyway, I don't think Disney have ruined Star Wars - There's some good and some bad.

I just think Star Wars hung around for decades because there wasn't much that was comparable.

I intend to watch the first two episodes of this over the weekend.
same as me but...

Given that you agree that star wars stuff can be garbage, prequels, whihc i strangely dont mind at all, whats the beef with people hating new star wars after trying it?
Why cant people hold opinions against inserted SWJ stuff if they want? Why cant the 2 groups just exist, i dont get why pointing out crap stuff is triggering so many people on both sides.

Its terribly written and it keeps using tired tropes and remberberries.

That's why i liked andor it was a bit left field and new and it was my/our star wars timeline.. It really did feel aimed at us 40 somethings...

Can't believe that Carrie Ann Moss was just a cameo! Absolutely gutted, although maybe she will appear in flashbacks

I’m assuming we’ll get lots of flashbacks. Wasn’t expecting it myself though.

Love the Jedi lead. Some of the acting is pretty poor though, it’s great to see diversity, it’s just a shame when they don’t pick the best people because of it.

This series has some potential thought, will take some episodes to find out.

I’m assuming we’ll get lots of flashbacks. Wasn’t expecting it myself though.

Love the Jedi lead. Some of the acting is pretty poor though, it’s great to see diversity, it’s just a shame when they don’t pick the best people because of it.

This series has some potential thought, will take some episodes to find out.
Surely they HAVE to show what actually happened that night and why the meditating Jedi did what he did, what CAM had to do with it and what Master S'Quid Gaame did, or didn't do.

Im thinking here and the day star wars was properly broken was when they tried SOLO..
That was tragic and again how they messed that up.
Probably one of the best Star Wars swashbuckling stories/characters in the making and they Made and released Solo.... What a tragedy....
Think of all they could have done and we got that....
I think that that failing actually scared the crap out of Disney and set them on course for the stream of meh we get now....

One thing that does make me laugh is for all spaceships, lasers and droids.. nobody can make a comms device. Instead it has to look like a 1970s star trek communicator :) lore..

Surely they HAVE to show what actually happened that night and why the meditating Jedi did what he did, what CAM had to do with it and what Master S'Quid Gaame did, or didn't do.
Itll be those 4 jedi separating the twins because 1 was good 1 was evil .. sounds like a SWMMO plot line on screen.
The helmeted darksider too whos that gonna be hopefully its actually clever.....A disgruntled jedi, something new.... they just gonna steal from Revan material i assume.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom