Star Wars: The Acolyte (it’s dead Jim)

Agreed. I liked S1-2 of Mando and similar reasons for Ashoka - RIP Titus Pullo :(. S3 got silly. Obi was forgettable and ridiculous. Boba Fett - best part of that were the Mando episodes which tells you everything you need to know.

A reason why I regard Andor so highly are memorable scenes and speeches like the prison break, Luthen's monologue or the excellent stand up and fight speech by Maarva (maybe that's what Penny Mordaunt was trying to recreate). I must have watched Maarva's speech a dozen times I liked it so much.

Edit - I mean come on, tell me this isn't sub par writing....

If you attack a Jedi with a weapon, you will fail.
Steel or laser are no threat to them.
Except a small blade :p.

Edit - still plenty of time to turn this around and hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised by the end of the season.

Last edited:
You mean the guy who literally gets paid to have contrary opinions about popular culture as that’s what gets most views, and he’s decided that he wants to bring in the anti-woke brigade who will watch his videos and subscribe? That guy?

I hate to break it to you, but saying Disney Star Wars is a dumpster fire, devoid of ideas, decent scripts and rubbish acting isn’t a contrary opinion.

or the excellent stand up and fight speech by Maarva (maybe that's what Penny Mordaunt was trying to recreate).
What do you mean, apparently people who dislike the trash tier writing that's in 90% of modern Disney fan ip's couldn't possibly like that scene as we're all misogynistic (or insert any other buzzword that's lost all meaning!!)

I think you pretty fundamentally failed to understand what was being said there. Apart from the fact that she is killing them with weapons being repeatedly referred to as a challenge for her, I thought it was fairly clear that her master wasn't talking about killing individual Jedi; he was talking about defeating the Jedi order itself.

Yeah I know and appreciate he said that line afterwards, whilst lighting his light saber for dramatic effect. Perhaps that line leading into it could have been written in a less clunky way?

Last edited:
Agreed. I liked S1-2 of Mando and similar reasons for Ashoka - RIP Titus Pullo :(. S3 got silly. Obi was forgettable and ridiculous. Boba Fett - best part of that were the Mando episodes which tells you everything you need to know.

A reason why I regard Andor so highly are memorable scenes and speeches like the prison break, Luthen's monologue or the excellent stand up and fight speech by Maarva (maybe that's what Penny Mordaunt was trying to recreate). I must have watched Maarva's speech a dozen times I liked it so much.

Edit - still plenty of time to turn this around and hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised by the end of the season.

The reason people rate Andor so highly is because when set against the rest of Disney SW it looks like Breaking Bad or The Sopranos, rather than what it is, 7/10 competent TV.

Problem is for every 1 thing they do that's nice, clever, Well delivered there's 1 that's naff, contradictory or plain idiotic.

I don't want realism but I don't want people watching each other through binoculars 20m away for example.

The jedi order is in the height of its power (declining ) and they come across mostly as clowns. Maybe it's intentional...

I've spoken to a few fans at work and we all agree there's something just not right feeling about this... Not whimsical? Andor didn't need whimsy.....

Still it can turn around easily just needs a wow and a ohhhhhh ****! Didn't see that coming moment or2.

The reason people rate Andor so highly is because when set against the rest of Disney SW it looks like Breaking Bad or The Sopranos, rather than what it is, 7/10 competent TV.
Exactly this. Andor isn’t Michelangelo’s Cistine Chapel fresco, but compared to the H-Block Dirty Protest that is Disney Star Wars, it’s high art made by folks at the peak of their craft.

No, Andor absolutely stands on its own merits. One of the best TV series of recent times. Comfortably up there with stuff like The Wire.

The jedi order is in the height of its power (declining ) and they come across mostly as clowns. Maybe it's intentional...

Isn't that the point? That the Jedi have become sclerotic? There's still strength there, still some of their number who are fully competent, but the order itself is rotting from within.

Last edited:
No, Andor absolutely stands on its own merits. One of the best TV series of recent times. Comfortably up there with stuff like The Wire.

Isn't that the point? That the Jedi have become sclerotic? There's still strength there, still some of their number who are fully competent, but the order itself is rotting from within.

LMAO. It is competent TV boosted by being part of the Worlds best known IP. At best.

In 10 years, it will have no relevance when great TV is being discussed. Whereas The Wire, BB, Sopranos, BCS, Succession etc will always retain their relevance as the cream of TV.

Last edited:
LMAO. It is competent TV boosted by being part of the Worlds best known IP. At best.

Quite the opposite. Andor is the absolute pinnacle of TV making, but - as you say - it will also be considered far more niche than stuff like The Wire and Breaking Bad because it will also get pigeon holed as a genre spin-off from a huge IP and thus fail to get the wider audience that it richly deserves. Being much shorter than those series as well will probably also limit its impact (and, who knows, maybe they'll stuff up the second season).

Quite the opposite. Andor is the absolute pinnacle of TV making, but - as you say - it will also be considered far more niche than stuff like The Wire and Breaking Bad because it will also get pigeon holed as a genre spin-off from a huge IP and thus fail to get the wider audience that it richly deserves. Being much shorter than those series as well will probably also limit its impact (and, who knows, maybe they'll stuff up the second season).

Absolute nonsense.

It's not niche, it's a clearly defined genre, and it is blown up out of all proportion because there's a baked in audience of hundreds of millions before it even airs. And that's also the reason why the absolute dreck that is DSW gets any audience at all, a band new IP with this guff would never get commisioned in the first place.

Last edited:
Disney exec 1: Lightsabers are cool and all but we need something the kids will really lose their **** over. Any suggestions?
Disney exec 2: I watched a King fu movie 20 years ago..
Disney exec 1: excellent idea!

I dont think its a bad idea, its does make the combat scenes a bit better Choreographed but it does look a bit unusual because we havent seen this in the past other than from Rogue One with Donnie Yen.

Back
Top Bottom