Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Don
Caporegime
It's been out what 4 days???

No - some people likely won't get to see it this side of Christmas

It will be at least 14 days in line with the sticky:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/spoilers-please-read-before-posting.18799228/

Fair enough didn’t know that ruling.

Seems odd that it’s different to tv shows, i think people enter threads to be out raged, I wouldn’t enter a film thread I hadn’t seen when it’s out because what chat is there going to be that isn’t spoilers as you can see from the hidden content. For future reference could we have just started a thread discussing it that contained spoilers separate from this one?

Associate
Back from second viewing. Nobody is convincing me this is a 9/10 movie. It's a solid 5 or 6/10. The main problem is the core (and indeed side-) plots are fundamentally uninteresting or just don't make sense in the SW universe. Some characters don't advance their story/development at all and some were just plain not necessary. There are three good scenes in the movie (1 good and two half good). There is some outstanding visual and effects work but there is also abysmal dialogue and worse acting. A definite mixed bag.

Definitely skipping the cinema release of the Solo movie. Ep 9 I'm on the fence at the moment. I'm not really too interested in what happens and if it centres around another child actor I'm out.

Man of Honour
Fair enough didn’t know that ruling.

Seems odd that it’s different to tv shows, i think people enter threads to be out raged, I wouldn’t enter a film thread I hadn’t seen when it’s out because what chat is there going to be that isn’t spoilers as you can see from the hidden content. For future reference could we have just started a thread discussing it that contained spoilers separate from this one?

Agreed. I just avoided this thread until I saw the film. Surely anyone who doesn't want to see spoilers would do the same?

Man of Honour
Definitely skipping the cinema release of the Solo movie. Ep 9 I'm on the fence at the moment. I'm not really too interested in what happens and if it centres around another child actor I'm out.

Same here. Solo movie, not interested. Ep9, what is there to look forward to? Ep8 has done nothing to build up to it imo. The critics are still very positive about this film, I just don't get it. Bring on the old republic with some decent lore, battles etc.

Soldato
I saw this with a couple of mates on Saturday, enjoyable but not brilliant, seemed rushed in places and off in others. Humour level I thought was good, Porgs were unnecessary toy sales filler.

Smoke seemed a very odd villain, I know the Emperor in the originals was basically the same thing, but even before we found out his history in the prequels, he just seemed right in the context, Smoke just didn't to me.

Out of the three of us I was the only one to notice the broom and the kid at the end :)

Permabanned
Enjoyed it but I wonder if I am becoming a bit bored of Star Wars.......solid 7/10 though.

My issues.
I dont really like any of the characters much.
None of the characters are "cool" anymore, sure they used to be in the originals and even the prequels.
The baddies are pants.
Thought TFA was marginally better.

The Yoda bit was awful. Really wanted to see Luke go postal at least a bit.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
I had mixed emotions with the film, lots of gotcha movments but some confusing ones too.

Here is Mark Hamil's opinion. *****spoilers****

Caporegime
I feel a bit sad for the kids of today.

Are these films a bit throw away?

I don't think so.

The original Star Wars Ep4….I don't know about you but I hated Mark Hamill in it, whiney little blonde kid, the plot is not original, it is a typical hero's journey that is seen in tons of other books and movies. It just happens that the biggest critics of the new films are the people who were young when they watched the original one. Lots of elements in the original movies were left unexplained, until WAYYYY later on like who knows where Palpatine came from? Did anyone know where he came from in the Ep4 to 6?

I thought the TLJ was quite decent, actually think of it better than when i first came out of the cinema. It's not perfect, and I am not saying its s better than Empire but it's not a bad movie.

Caporegime
Lucas for $4billion in the sale, I doubt he care that much.

That’s looking at it from our kind of worth. He was already bloody rich and I bet it’s damn hard to see your work changed from your original ideas. You only have to read the control he kept over the EU, they were allowed to do anything to any of them but anything Luke related had to go through him personally. That was discussed when they killed chewie in the EU.

Regardless of the money I bet it would be hard for any of us to have that much of a life’s work taken over, especially for someone like him that always was a control freak.

Caporegime
That’s looking at it from our kind of worth. He was already bloody rich and I bet it’s damn hard to see your work changed from your original ideas. You only have to read the control he kept over the EU, they were allowed to do anything to any of them but anything Luke related had to go through him personally. That was discussed when they killed chewie in the EU.

Regardless of the money I bet it would be ha for any of us to have that much of a life’s work taken over, especially for someone like him that always was a control freak.

If I were him, I would think "Hmmmmm, I really only made 1 half decent film in the New Hope….I gave the other 2 good ones to someone else and I messed up the prequels, i am glad I am not doing the new trilogies anymore".

His ego might think he can do better but the reality has proven that he can't.

Caporegime
If I were him, I would think "Hmmmmm, I really only made 1 half decent film in the New Hope….I gave the other 2 good ones to someone else and I messed up the prequels, i am glad I am not doing the new trilogies anymore".

I think what he did with the originals is what he should have done now, give the outline of his story to someone else, rather than the whole thing for someone to do.

Did he mess up the prequels? For a whole new generation of kids view those as better than the originals and spawned characters that will last a lifetime. Maul, some of the Jedi, grevious, dooku, he created iconic characters that spawned a whole new generation. Yet my son couldn’t name a single person in rogue one therefore had zero interest in merchandise, even though he loved this film it’s Luke he came to see, he’s never once asked for a force awakens lego set despite half my house being full of the stuff. They are just instantly forgettable characters, regardless of how bad I think attack of the clones is, Lucas got the characters spot on, just a shame someone else didn’t write the dialogue.

Man of Honour

He didn't mess up the prequels. Most generations younger than me who I speak to much prefer them to the original trilogy which they deem boring. Times change. I personally am not a huge fan, other than for Revenge of the Sith that was somewhat decent imo.

If anything the books limited what they could do with these films.

Caporegime
He didn't mess up the prequels. Most generations younger than me who I speak to much prefer them to the original trilogy which they deem boring. Times change. I personally am not a huge fan, other than for Revenge of the Sith that was somewhat decent imo.

If anything the books limited what they could do with these films.

I think what he did with the originals is what he should have done now, give the outline of his story to someone else, rather than the whole thing for someone to do.

Did he mess up the prequels? For a whole new generation of kids view those as better than the originals and spawned characters that will last a lifetime. Maul, some of the Jedi, grevious, dooku, he created iconic characters that spawned a whole new generation. Yet my son couldn’t name a single person in rogue one therefore had zero interest in merchandise, even though he loved this film it’s Luke he came to see, he’s never once asked for a force awakens lego set despite half my house being full of the stuff. They are just instantly forgettable characters, regardless of how bad I think attack of the clones is, Lucas got the characters spot on, just a shame someone else didn’t write the dialogue.

Ha !!! EXACTLY my point.

I am of the age that thinks he messed up the prequels, and there are those who thinks Disney messed up the new sequels.

My point is that the sequels are good movies (I still stand by the prequels are terrible, who can forget that who little scene about sand….cringe…), but anyone here who thinks that the sequels are bad and Disney messed it up really are facing the same argument that the people of the age, like children, who are watching the new films first, will prefer them more.

Man of Honour
Ha !!! EXACTLY my point.

I am of the age that thinks he messed up the prequels, and there are those who thinks Disney messed up the new sequels.

My point is that the sequels are good movies (I still stand by the prequels are terrible, who can forget that who little scene about sand….cringe…), but anyone here who thinks that the sequels are bad and Disney messed it up really are facing the same argument that the people of the age, like children, who are watching the new films first, will prefer them more.

Are they liking the sequels? I can see why they like the prequels, but I can't see it in the sequels.

Caporegime
Ha !!! EXACTLY my point.

I don’t think they are bad films, my son loved it but he said the same about TFA and yet he’s had zero desire to watch it again since leaving the cinema. I just don’t think they have the character impact any of the other 6 have. He’s 8 and he certainly doesn’t not prefer these two over the previous 6.

I think they will really start to make good films when the slate is wiped totally clean but doesn’t even Rey only want to finish the trilogy then get out?

Back
Top Bottom