Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

But they were perfectly fine with it in this. If anything they should be using the standalone movies to introduce humour. Not the main entries.
yeah, but the standalone movie was a million times better than two main ones, and star wars always had humour, they just pushed some bits to far in this one.
I hope han solo continues that.

Are you for real? They totally tried to make it a humour scene. He looked at her with the weird stuff all over his mouth and cracked a weird grin.

I agree it was a weird moment, and will be an internet meme as soon as somebody can turn it in to one.

I also agree that this is projection:
While the big thing looked at Rey as if to say, yeah baby you want some of this.

Put it this way, storm troopers have become a bit of a running joke. Not just because they can't hit targets, but they are made out to be village idiots.

Put it this way, storm troopers have become a bit of a running joke. Not just because they can't hit targets, but they are made out to be village idiots.

They've been like that since the original series. If anything the ones in the last two are far less of a joke than those.

I felt the humour ruined General Hux.

He's certainly no Grand Moff Tarkin or Thrawn.

He was the character I most hoped would die in this one. I'd much rather he be a humour figure than the crap nazi he was in the last one. At least I got a laugh out of him rather than just being bored by his OTT speeches.

the more I think about it, the more I dislike it, that's why I should just watch and forget. I thought it was ok at the cinema, now thinking about it.

omg hux is so bad, noke being killed so easily, odd mammary gland milking, blatant and unneeded plot clues, tasting the red its salt, the blatant exaggerated zoon in on the Lukes feet not bringing up the salt, so what if most people would have missed a more subtle approach

Do people really have a problem with humour?

There were a few but isn't exactly like Thor 3 or GOTG is it.
I like some humour in Star Wars for sure, I even liked the Porgs. What I have a problem with is humour in scenes that should be tense and serious, which this movie does multiple times. They went overboard.

So some people are trying to say they were ok with the style of forced humour introduced in the Last Jedi? Yes Star Wars has always had humour. The point being the style of humour in this was so out of place and it was like they dragged it on expecting the cinema audience to be in stitches. Forced humour isn't funny and it has no place in a Star Wars film.

I'm sure the broad story for this whole series of films was agreed before the detail was done on even TFA
It wasn't. It's been widely reported that JJ Abrams has just submitted his story to Lucasfilm for episode 9. You can actually tell that 2 different people wrote the 2 first movies.

By broad I mean who lives and dies, in the main story, who is who's dad and so on. That is not the same as a script.

They don't have a blank slate, I can tell you that right now. Do you think if he said he wanted to kill Rey off or leave Finn out of most of the film they would have been fine with that? I can guarantee they wouldn't.

They don't have a blank slate, I can tell you that right now. Do you think if he said he wanted to kill Rey off or leave Finn out of most of the film they would have been fine with that? I can guarantee they wouldn't.

The writer/director has stated he had a blank slate but you can tell us he didn't? Listen, I'm sure Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm has an idea of the direction they want to go and if they didn't like something they could ask for it to be changed. I'm just surprised they were happy with the final draft of TLJ.

Since when is humour in Star Wars films new anyway?

I will quote a fellow member here who described it perfectly.....

So some people are trying to say they were ok with the style of forced humour introduced in the Last Jedi? Yes Star Wars has always had humour. The point being the style of humour in this was so out of place and it was like they dragged it on expecting the cinema audience to be in stitches. Forced humour isn't funny and it has no place in a Star Wars film.

So please Shamikebab, find me forced humour out of the tone/mood of the screen on Episodes 1-6. There is only some light one based on the tone of the scene, and yes I completely hate the Ewoks.... killed Return of the Jedi imho.
And to be precise. Find me anything other than a word of sarcasm (eg when they are trying to get killed at Geonosis) in Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith. Which are pretty dark films.

First half of the TLJ has move comedy than EP 1-6 combined.

Even Clone Wars (film and series), which are made for young audience, don't have as much forced comedy as the TLJ. They do have some small sarcasm in places, but that's it.

Last edited:
Forced humour doesn't even make sense, either something is funny or it isn't. As you said, everything about the ewoks was intended to be funny, C3PO has always been a humour role, Jabba getting his tail stepped on etc.

But given you seem to think the new films are all about oppressing the white male I'm not entirely surprised you don't agree.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom