Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

The writer/director has stated he had a blank slate but you can tell us he didn't? Listen, I'm sure Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm has an idea of the direction they want to go and if they didn't like something they could ask for it to be changed. I'm just surprised they were happy with the final draft of TLJ.

So you state he has a blank slate then say Disney would overrule him. That's not a blank slate dude.

But you said you agreed with him. If you agree with me why the hell are we still discussing it :confused:
The writer has stated he had a blank slate to write the movie. Are you calling him a liar? My point being that if he wrote a story that Lucasfilm didn't agree with they could ask him to change it or remove him completely at that stage. He still had a blank slate to begin with according to the man himself.

The writer has stated he had a blank slate to write the movie. Are you calling him a liar? My point being that if he wrote a story that Lucasfilm didn't agree with they could ask him to change it or remove him completely at that stage. He still had a blank slate to begin with according to the man himself.

People say all sorts of things, I don't believe everything at face value. No I don't believe he had anything close to a blank slate any more than I believe that Joss Whedon had a blank slate with the Avenger's films etc.

https://soundcloud.com/user-504775206/last-jedi-wga-qa

according to RJ:

He started with a blank sheet and TFA script, and nothing else, he had conversations with JJ at the start but was free to do whatever
Each arc of each charcter is written from a starting point of what is the hardest thing for them to face now
He states that Disney did not change or steer or veto anything he wrote
the story group are only there to "fact check" scripts against cannon and the films/books/etc
Carrie Fisher helped RJ sort some of the dialog as they were filming

the fact that KK has given him a trilogy from just an idea (and no script) means they trust him to do whatever he wants

https://soundcloud.com/user-504775206/last-jedi-wga-qa

according to RJ:

He started with a blank sheet and TFA script, and nothing else, he had conversations with JJ at the start but was free to do whatever
Each arc of each charcter is written from a starting point of what is the hardest thing for them to face now
He states that Disney did not change or steer or veto anything he wrote
the story group are only there to "fact check" scripts against cannon and the films/books/etc
Carrie Fisher helped RJ sort some of the dialog as they were filming

the fact that KK has given him a trilogy from just an idea (and no script) means they trust him to do whatever he wants

Which, based on this monstrosity, gives me a sense of a great disturbance in the force!

I couldn't care less where they go in episode 9 now, I am completely disengaged from any of the remaining characters.

What they did to Luke should be seen as almost blasphemous amongst Star Wars fans!

Which, based on this monstrosity, gives me a sense of a great disturbance in the force!

I couldn't care less where they go in episode 9 now, I am completely disengaged from any of the remaining characters.

What they did to Luke should be seen as almost blasphemous amongst Star Wars fans!

I have a feeling that Luke isn't dead in the traditional sense and will still be part of the next film. Read somewhere online that Mark Hamil has a decent size fee for episode 9 still.

He is a parody, kinda funny, I just can't take him seriously as the one in charge.

Which is exactly why it didn't fit and makes sense, they may as well dress him in a Ronald Mcdonald outfit. Can you imagine that sort of slapstick crap with Peter Cushing as Moff Tarkin, no because he was supposed to be the commander of the imperial forces. Yet we have been given the equivalent of Ginger Mr Brittas for comedy value, no one would put him in charge of the tea making let alone the all those forces. It was stupid and it didn't fit. None of it was clever humour.

I have a feeling that Luke isn't dead in the traditional sense and will still be part of the next film. Read somewhere online that Mark Hamil has a decent size fee for episode 9 still.
I'm almost certain we'll be seeing Force Ghost Luke advising Rey in the next movie.

and Therin lies the problem. Fans have this distorted, in built Luke fetish (based primarily from how they want the story to look like) and they will never, ever win or make them happy. Nothing they wrote except him single handedly defeating the whole First Order one by one in a 3 hour lightsaber orgy whilst simultaneously training a new couple of hundred padawans to equally god like status in between lightsaber swings was ever going to make them happy.

The only way to keep them happy would have been to ignore Luke and leave his mythos open ended but even then they would probably complain that it wasn’t closed off.

Thankless task to keep fans who have obsessed about him for nigh on 40 years happy.

No, people just didn't want emo Luke moping around for 2 hours before having a Matrix hologram fight and then keeling over on a rock in the middle of nowhere.

and Therin lies the problem. Fans have this distorted, in built Luke fetish (based primarily from how they want the story to look like) and they will never, ever win or make them happy. Nothing they wrote except him single handedly defeating the whole First Order one by one in a 3 hour lightsaber orgy whilst simultaneously training a new couple of hundred padawans to equally god like status in between lightsaber swings was ever going to make them happy.

The only way to keep them happy would have been to ignore Luke and leave his mythos open ended but even then they would probably complain that it wasn’t closed off.

Thankless task to keep fans who have obsessed about him for nigh on 40 years happy.
What a complete load of tosh. They could have had Luke disengaged from the force but to have him as a hermit who it transpires was ready to kill his nephew goes so far against the character we got to know previously.

I would've been happier if he had died within the first 5 minutes, rather than drag him on being depressed. But yes, of course what I really wanted to see was him and Rey training, him going back and giving Kylo a good spanking but dying to Kylo. Or for a further spin, killing him and Rey turning to the Sith. The whole JEdi thing in this movie just seemed like nonsense where as before it was more subtle.

It will never be a true star wars film until they re-release it with a dubbed voice over for kylo ren

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

What a complete load of tosh. They could have had Luke disengaged from the force but to have him as a hermit who it transpires was ready to kill his nephew goes so far against the character we got to know previously.
That didn't sit right with me either. Luke, the son that believed in a shred of good remaining in one of the most villainous villains, seemingly ready to execute his nephew at the first sign of the dark side affecting him. I feel like Luke's post-ROTJ past really needed more expansion, something to attach more emotion and understanding as to how Ben was influenced by the dark side and how Luke tried to stop it before resorting to killing him.

I really wanted kylo and rey to join up and have to fight snoke properly.
For a bout 5 mins I was crossing my fingers that it was going to go down like that but then it went chop in half, kill all the red guys, back to hating each other..... Now I'm not really sure what drivers kylo ren? He's not being used as a tool, Luke is dead, he killed dad, mum presumed dead, sadly dead rip for real. Now he's going to kill his, most likely and still to be half sister/twin sister, even after the bs she was born to nobodies. I really dunno where they are going, I mean there doesn't seem to be any real major threats. All the rebels we know fit on the millennium falcon, I mean wtf that's like time to give up....

Am I the only one who isn't that bothered about Luke? I like the SW movies as an ensemble cast rather than just one character. Not bothered about what happened to him but it could have been better.

Back
Top Bottom