Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

I’m going to stop the argument from my side. It’s pointless. I appreciate your viewpoints against Luke but I, respectfully, disagree. I think there is easily enough evidence to stack it up either way and the director has clearly thought so as well but is obviously hasn’t made those more invested in his story happy.

Each to their own :)

”Someone has to stay behind and pilot the ship.” Erm, no? Don’t they have autopilot? I thought the Falcon had autopilot.

A bit like the Star Trek reboot; autopilot is damaged so Kirk Snr needs to be pilot but he plots a course in the computer to Nero's ship :p

I liked it.
what I didn't notice was that Luke didn't disturb the salt. Actually quite clever since he wasn't there. Plus he had his blue light sabre and was younger/thinner as kylo would have known him.

Also...

nope

And

nope

But most importantly,

nope

Because

nope

Yes,

i am tired of these stupid tags. The 'spoilers' are everywhere now anyway.

Seem to have got your quotes mixed up :p

Luke goes against Vader and ruthless murderer who slew kids or anyone in his way, "I can save him, I feel the good in him". Senses and bit of dark in his nephew and thinks about cutting him in two while he sleeps. Yeah that story makes sense.

It was a brief passing thought which he instantly regretted

It wasn't a passing thought - it was in his head long enough for him to take out his lightsaber (or is it laser sword?) and then spark it up before coming to his senses. That is premeditated. And totally out of character.

does that sound like the Luke of Star Wars, the moral heart of the films????

Luke is not a moral heart of the films. If anyone is it's Obi Wan and Yoda. Luke is frequently impulsive. In the cave on Dagobah Luke is the first to draw his lightsaber. There is nothing in the original trilogy to suggest that Luke is not struggling to stay on the light side

Last edited:
Saw this today at IMAX with the wife. Visually amazing with a group of very fine actors. A film that will work for children coming into this series for the first time. Some genuinely touching monements with original cast members.
However, the story was truly terrible and it’s obvious now that Disney have just wanted to reboot the whole saga back to the Empire and Rebels story line to form the basis for Ep 10, 11 and 12 and the tv series.
This is Star Wars the next generation now and for those off us who where there at the start, maybe it’s time to move on and accept it for what it has now become.

The story in the original Star Wars was pretty terrible and Mark Hamill for one thought so.
I was 'there at the start' and I have thoroughly enjoyed every Star Wars film. Every film provides a visual spectacle and largely gives a reason for what you are seeing, and for a fairytale popcorn adventure I'm happy with that.

The story in the original Star Wars was pretty terrible and Mark Hamill for one thought so.
I was 'there at the start' and I have thoroughly enjoyed every Star Wars film. Every film provides a visual spectacle and largely gives a reason for what you are seeing, and for a fairytale popcorn adventure I'm happy with that.
Are you truly happy that the reason for this film is to just reboot the universe of the original trilogy? I never had a problem with the prequels, as at least Lucas attempted new stories, but this is Disney just going the safe route.

I had quite a few issues with the movie but one of them wasn't how Luke's character has turned out, which is strange as that's all everybody is talking about in here!

Maybe it's because I never read/saw any of the now non canon stuff where it sounds like Luke was some epic force god.

The thing about Luke is we're not shown anything of what happens to him between the end of ROTJ and the start of TLJ (except for the Kylo Ren incident/failure). We don't know what's happened to him, so we can't accept he's now a jaded, disillusioned hermit. Kind of like Obi Wan and Yoda were thirty years earlier. Luke's current demeanour would be more understandable if we had some reasons why he is the way he is beyond the one bad experience with Kylo.

The Yoda appearance makes more sense if you see the end of the Jedi as being part of life and death, the great wheel of life, that it's the way of the universe for the Jedi to eventually end to make way for something new. I don't think the film got that message across very well.

I think they could have made more of the fact that the Jedi or Sith are only a couple of types of Force users. That they are a philosophy and religion that uses the Force, but they are not the only ones, and they way they use the Force is not the only way it can be used. If you're going to hand over the baton to the next generation, maybe think beyond the Jedi/Sith, and think about what might be the next step beyond the Jedi for the film franchise. There was a missed opportunity for Luke to pass that message on during Rey's training.

The thing about Luke is we're not shown anything of what happens to him between the end of ROTJ and the start of TLJ (except for the Kylo Ren incident/failure). We don't know what's happened to him, so we can't accept he's now a jaded, disillusioned hermit. Kind of like Obi Wan and Yoda were thirty years earlier. Luke's current demeanour would be more understandable if we had some reasons why he is the way he is beyond the one bad experience with Kylo.

The Yoda appearance makes more sense if you see the end of the Jedi as being part of life and death, the great wheel of life, that it's the way of the universe for the Jedi to eventually end to make way for something new. I don't think the film got that message across very well.

I think they could have made more of the fact that the Jedi or Sith are only a couple of types of Force users. That they are a philosophy and religion that uses the Force, but they are not the only ones, and they way they use the Force is not the only way it can be used. If you're going to hand over the baton to the next generation, maybe think beyond the Jedi/Sith, and think about what might be the next step beyond the Jedi for the film franchise. There was a missed opportunity for Luke to pass that message on during Rey's training.
in the EU books this is how jacen falls to the dark side, he travels the galaxy and learns from dozens of different force users. However this isn't the end of the Jedi, the Jedi books where in the falcon.

What annoys me is there are so many good stories in the EU and then they make rubbish stories, it would be fair enough if they were good stories, I understand they want to change so no one knows what's happening, but make it good

It wasn't a passing thought - it was in his head long enough for him to take out his lightsaber (or is it laser sword?) and then spark it up before coming to his senses. That is premeditated. And totally out of character.

I thought that's what he said to Rey but could be wrong

But for a Jedi Master, lighting up his sabre is probably an instinctive thing that happens with a moment's thought. Kylo does the same when he defends himself and then force-pulls the hut down on top of Luke. It shows the fear and conflict within Luke when he realises that Kylo Ren could turn to the Dark. It's interesting the way that event is told from different perspectives.

You could say that Luke's actions create Kylo, but equally you could say that Luke's failure is that he hesitated and didn't follow through and kill Kylo when he had the chance. Luke might consider all the deaths that Kylo cause are his fault. For letting Kylo turn Dark, and not killing Kylo when he had the chance.

Thing with Luke is that he was never a good fighter. Even in RoTJ as a Jedi master he was pants.

I'm surprised he wasn't the one to cut his own hand off rather than DV lol.

His storyline was well thought through really and quite fitting.

Just back from a second screening at IMAX, got to say, I actually enjoyed the film second time around. If you put some of the BS aside, it's actually a fun film.

Back
Top Bottom