Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

But the Emperor didn't have any context in 1977 or 1980 either!

I really don't see the difference. "The World was still being built then"

Well this 30 years on new trilogy is still being built now..

Guys that say we didn't know much about Emperor in OT or Siths in prequels and it didn't bother us. That's incorrect - we knew who/what they were. Siths were one of the old "religions", The Emperor was the leader of Galactic Empire that rose on the ashes of The Old Republic. Snoke on the other hand? We were told First Order was established after the Battle of Jakku in 5 ABY from remnants of the Galactic Empire. Who was Snoke in ranks of Galactic Empire then? Where was he (as a Force user) in "balance to" equation of the original trilogy? Where did he get the funds to establish First Order and keep making bigger and bigger weapons? We didn't need to know these things about Emperor or Siths in OT or prequels because things were self explanatory - Emperor had ef loads of funds to build planet sized lasers because he had wealth of the Old Republic at his disposal, Siths on the other hand were around for millennia etc, they were the equivalent of Teutonic orders in our earthly history, whereas we didn't get anything on Snoke and First Order, we were just chucked into the middle of it and told "it is what it is, stop asking questions". As a script writing method that's about as sound as lavatory door rhymes.

Don't disagree with your point on Snoke fans like context we like to know details, it gives them depth and lore which makes them more interesting. But the mention of sith wasn't done in the original trilogy at all it wasn't a line by any of the cast. I believe it was in the novelization of the movies.

I think half the battle with Disney/SW was because they decided expanded universe content was non canonical. They could have made some excellent content using the EU as often it was well written and fits very well into the story. I honestly can't say the same for the last Jedi & Force Awakens. At least they had entertaining moments but I don't think they were well written at all.

Yes in 77/80 it will have had little context but the clue is in that they are episode 4 and 5. Once you add 1,2 and 3 it makes perfect sense. I know if they never made 1,2 or 3 it would have left it without the context it has now but you have to look at the story as a whole and not break it down to trilogy by trilogy.

When you look at the whole picture the Emperor makes sense and Snoke does not. They either dropped the ball and goof'd up monumentally, are already working on 'A Star Wars Story' movie in which he will feature and it gives him some grounding or the do something to reverse what they've done in this film which makes the Last Jedi even more disappointing.

I really hate it, why do we need to compare what you knew In the old stuff to what we know in the 7 8 9. It doesn't justify saying nothing about his rise to power. I'm very certain they will fill in the blank in EP 9 cos of wtf outage.

They are picking it up in 7, everything has happened it makes no sense to introduce such a huge character just to dispatch him like a worm after 5 mins of screen time.
They could have done it in 3 mins but didn't........

It's one thing you don't like it, that's your opinion and I have mine, but what right do you have to call people differ from your opinion to be blind, brainless or tasteless?

What make your opinion right, what makes it absolute?

The movie itself makes it right, and I don't consider it an opinion. The movie has just factual problems, relies on moronic behaviour by characters to propel its story forward, constantly undermines itself, lacks any emotion punch, and destroys one of the most beloved cinema characters with confused, emotionally uninvolving death and out of character behaviour.

Yes in 77/80 it will have had little context but the clue is in that they are episode 4 and 5. Once you add 1,2 and 3 it makes perfect sense. I know if they never made 1,2 or 3 it would have left it without the context it has now but you have to look at the story as a whole and not break it down to trilogy by trilogy.

When you look at the whole picture the Emperor makes sense and Snoke does not. They either dropped the ball and goof'd up monumentally, are already working on 'A Star Wars Story' movie in which he will feature and it gives him some grounding or the do something to reverse what they've done in this film which makes the Last Jedi even more disappointing.

Not when Star Wars was released, 'Episode IV - A New Hope' wasn't added until 1981...

Also - We didn't get answers on who the Emperor was for 16 years!

You don't see the difference?? The fact that the original trilogy has occurred is the difference. We know about the emperor and the sith. At the time of the original trilogy it was enough for the story that this emperor guy was in charge of the empire. After all the events that have occurred and with no explanation of how the first order came to power, it is no longer enough to introduce a new emperor character without some story semblance of who he is or how he came to power. It just feels lazy

I wonder how they even came up with the name Supreme Leader Snoke. Snot. It sounds so lame. I guess it is fitting that he dies super lame death, although it is still the film's weakness, how badly he was mangled writing-wise.

Not just that the score in the prequals was better than anything in EPVII & EPVIII. Duel of the fates plus Qui Gon/Obi Wan, Darth Maul fight scene was epic. Its been a week and I just wish I could erase EP VIII from my mind. Rian Johnson will not direct something this big ever again. At least I hope so.

egh - i couldn't disagree more. The fight scenes were so childish and computer game-like that i though they were embarrassingly bad.

but hey, horses for courses i guess.

I love reading the logical inconsistencies of the die hard OT fans. If it happened in the OT it’s fine, no bother, happens in a newer film? It’s Hersey of the highest order.

It’s like reading about the 3 lunatics in the insane asylum justifying to each other how each one of them is actually Christ and the rest are not :D

The main difference is palpatine inherited a huge army from the republic and the clones which makes sense and required a lot for him to get into that level of power. This was all but destroyed at the end of ROTJ. Some guy emerges from the outer rim builds a whole army that can destroy planets all in the space of 30 years. Too be honest the rebels deserve to be wiped out if they let that happen!

Back
Top Bottom